Savannah International Pensione
  • Breakfast included
Hamilton-Turner Inn(Savannah)
The DeSoto(Savannah)
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Both my friend and I were a little scared of staying in a hostel for the first time. We were both pleasantly surprised by how convenient the location was, how nice the owner was and how clean the place was. We booked our room ahead of time so we were able to get a private room. The place felt secure. It was simple accommodations, but it was safe, and we actually made friends during our visit. I would definitely return there if money is tight on my next visit.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank rclarkspear
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My GF and I spent our anniversary in Savannah, we had so much fun we sort of decided to move to Savannah. We were going to do couchsurfers.org but wanted privacy on this trip. If I would've known, we would've just stayed at a hotel. Our hostel experience was the only draw back, even still it was an adventure and a hella offva story ;D

Check in was seemingly normal. He told us all the quirky things about the house and the neighborhood. He looked like he hadn't slept in years.

The dorm room: We payed $60 for two people for one night in the dorm room which we had to our selves. We weren't given a sheet but a sheet bag, WTF is a sheet bag? The rooms have no table, end table, or room for luggage AT ALL, ANYWHERE! Thankfully we were the only ones there.

The kitchen: had no sponge, no towels, has one small portable card table as its dining table and two chairs, nothing to cook with, no pots, no pans, no microwave. When asked how can we heat up our food, he chuckled and replied "You can make hot water for tea!" Ooooohhh, right...

The one bathroom (for a potential 12 guests) was huge but still didn't even have a table or counters for your stuff. The hand soap dispenser was empty, but I'm sure he got to it after his 6 hour a day - no re-entry - cleaning allotment.

The next morning, we were awakened to the sounds of him cleaning and sweeping the hallway at 8AM. So we got up, went to the kitchen and bathroom, said good morning to him. He followed us back to our room to get the sheets and pillow cases, wearing his PJs, hair all messy, and sleep in his eyes complaining about the guests who came to check in at 2am. Getoutta my face with all that, man.

Honestly, all of this would have been just fine had I paid typical hostel prices, like $10-15 a night for one twin bed with absolutely no amenities. The house was by far the worst looking house inside and out, that we saw in Savannah, definitely not keeping up with appearances! So we canceled our second night and decided to sleep in the car, which surprisingly was more comfortable and we were up in time to drive to see the sunrise. So the trip worked out well for us. But I would never stay there again, and wanted to hopefully warn other travelers what you're getting into if you stay here. Ciao!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank blackmajiksoulpower
Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

Want an honest review. Lets point form it
*BEWARE: all sites call this a hostel it isn't!
*ideal for couples and groups- cheaper rates. If you're solo you pay for every bed in the whole room. Find another solo person willing to share a room to make it cheaper!!
*if staying in the main building you are locked out between 11-5
*No luggage room! Between ^^ those hours you have no access.
*wasnt given a pillow case or a sheet had to sleep In a sheet sack.
*theres a supermarket across the street and foryth park with Starbucks around the corner. But
Don't go there at night alone it's dodgey.
*It's a 15mimute walk to Bay St right near the river.
*the rooms have a musty smell, please remember it is an old house.
*the showers are pretty dirty I suggest wearing flip flops, but you do get hot water :)
*you have access to a kitchen
*wifi works in the main building and on the front steps, not in the building out the back!!
*Brian is nice, but should accommodate solo travellers better or offer cheaper rates. He should at least have one room in the building hostel style. I guess he's out to make more money and the false advertising on hostel websites brings in the business.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Blairswaldorf88
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I stayed here for just one night, and booked last minute. I was lucky I suppose,
as one of the other guests did not show up. Owner seems laid back, unique guy and
totally trusting (I had left my ID at a friends house and did not have immediate access to it). I think this would be a good place to check out for a few nights as it is not too far from Forsyth Park, one of the major attractions of the city and from there, not too much further to
downtown + it is 1 minute walk to Grocery store. Owner also called me a taxi early
in the morning on Sunday and woke me up just in the nick of time when I had
overslept @ 7.45 am or so...Just made my flight!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Ctravel27
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I stayed for three nights while down checking out SCAD (I'll be attending in the fall). I stayed one night in the main building and two in one of the bedrooms in the carriage house. The carriage house is definitely nicer, with a fully equipped kitchen and better air conditioning, not to mention quieter. The downside is that the WiFi doesn't work there so you have to go outside and around the corner to go back to the main house. Its a short walk but the area can get a bit dodgy at night. My first night in the main house was warmer, the air conditioning wasn't the greatest, but the ceiling fan kept things tolerable. On the downside I had the cast of The Hangover in the room next to me and all six of them rolled in from the bars at 4 AM and proceeded to drink a couple of six packs while continuing to live it up. But then again its a hostel, I still lived to see another day. Also the main house kitchen has no pots and pans, just a kettle, sink, and fridge. I ordered a pizza which was delivered by bike messenger (Vinnie Van Go-Go's, it was great!) and just ate it from the box in the kitchen. Like any hostel you just have to roll with it.

Brian is a character (he asked me for help sending an email and formatting some stuff on the computer), but his heart is in the right place. I get the feeling that he juggles work and his family when he's not hostel keeping. His bookkeeping system and approach are out of date, however travelers should be on top of all their own expenses and make sure they are charged correctly, the same way you would in a regular hotel. Also he offered safety advice and makes sure you're aware of parking restrictions, which is helpful, beyond that he's not a concierge.

I do agree the restrictions from 11-5 are the biggest issue. Its very inconvenient, though because I had a car I just made sure to take what I needed with me. One night he stayed close until 6:15, though he posted a sign. After a long day out however (I left around 8 AM) you're hungry and ready to relax by 5, and to get back and find you still have another hour to kill really sucks.

What you really want is a place to lay your head for the night. In that respect the Savannah Pensione delivers, if with no frills. That being said I agree that the hostel is in poor shape, especially the bathrooms. That being said, they were old and could use an update, not dirty. In the end in a town where you can't touch a hotel room for less than $150 a night, its still the best deal you'll get, in an unbeatable location. Just be sure to be prepared for an adventure!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo