“Decent Savanna Accomdation”

Savannah International Pensione
Reviewed 8 July 2010

I found it quite a difficult task to find well-priced accommodation in Savanna, but managed to Savannah International Pensione on Google. I was traveling to Savanna from Charleston, SC via an evening Amtrak train, however, the train was delayed, so I had to let the owner know that I was checking in late, which was fine.

The location isn't perfect, but isnt bad either. The area seems ok, but you are advised not to walk in the park late at night, which is understandable. Savanna is really small, so walking into town isn't a big deal, but Savannah International Pensione is located quite close the town shuttle, which is free, and very convenient.

In terms of the actual accommodation:
The room was nice a spacious, and although there were 3 bunk bed, I only had 2 room mates during my stay. I found it annoying that instead of sheets, I was given a 'sleeping sack' and the owner seems to be really concerned about bed bugs, so the mattress is covered in some sort of plastic bed-sheet, which I found uncomfortable.

The other facilities are rather basic.
The kitchen has a fridge, forks and spoons, but I think thats about it. It doesnt have a kettle, toaster, over, microwave, which I found quite annoying.

There is also only one bathroom which a bath/shower. The bathroom needs a serious make-over. I'm not that fussy but the bath/shower seems really old, unhygienic and the drain was blocked.

There is also a small living room with a tiny tv that I never used.

One important thing to note is that guests arent allowed to be inside there rooms between 10am-5pm, which I found quite ridiculous. I went to Tybee Island for the day, and had to wait around from 3pm, until I was allowed to go back into my room. I'm not sure if the front door is locked, but these are the rules.

I wouldn't say that the accommodation was bad, but it definitely needs to be improved upon a bit. For those looking for decent, cheaper accommodation in Savanna this isnt a bad option

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank paulballen

Reviewed 8 June 2010

I *really* liked this place. I rented the Carriage House (two bedrooms that share a bathroom -- great for a couple of friends) which is bigger and even more adorable than it looks on their website. There is a kitchen and living room as well, and with the grocery store 1 block away, you could save lots of money cooking your own food.

On the cab ride from the train station I enjoyed seeing the huge historic buildings and was so excited when we pulled up and saw that I got to stay in one of them! The main building has all kinds of really neat architectural features. You have access to the main building to use the internet even if your room is in the carriage house.

I thought the owner was super nice and friendly, he even walked with me to the grocery store to go to the ATM, since it was at night and I was by myself. Things were clean without being sterile or wasteful (i.e. he turned on the AC for the carriage house when I checked in). I don't know what the people who've written bad reviews were expecting (perhaps a concierge?); maybe they've never been to a family-run hostel before.

• Stayed: May 2010
2  Thank krhettn
Reviewed 31 May 2010

I arrived at the Pensione at 8.30 A.M. without a reservation, after an early arrival at the Amtrak station. The owner needed some time to sort out if I could stay, but after five minutes he said it was OK and I could even check-in to my room right away.

The building itself and the location are great - a large, old house located in the historic district, only a five minute walk from Forsyth Park. It looks a little shabby on the inside and outside, and cleanliness does not seem to be highest priority of the owner. My room (private with shared bath) also did not have the most modern facilities (in fact it only had a bed, a lamp and AC in it). But I had a large private balcony, and there was a large TV room with couches.

If cleanliness and modern facilities are your highest priorities when looking for a place to stay, I would not recommend going here. If you are looking for an unique place to stay however, and can accept a sober room (and remember there is a shared TV room...) and a not spotlessly clean bathroom, you'll have a great and unique place to stay! The owner can also seem a little 'strange' (as other users noted before) but he is actually a really nice guy who'll do his best to make your stay comfortable.

It's about a 35 minute walk to downtown Savannah, 5 minutes to Forsyth Park (there was actually a great festival going on there when I stayed - be sure to check out the Connect Savannah for events), 1 minute to supermarket across the street (Kroger) and 30 minutes to the Greyhound station. A taxi from the Amtrak station will cost approx. $10.

It is possible to store your luggage, you can only pick-up after 5.00 P.M. however, because the building/office is closed from 12.00 to 5.00. There also free WiFi.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank ojys
Reviewed 3 November 2009

The hotel is split up into the main building (completely separate from owner's lodgings), and the carriage house. The owner of the pensione, Brian, may seem a little odd at first, especially his mannerisms and such, but is friendly enough once you get talking. If the hotel is low on guests, he will urge you to stay in the Carriage House- its more expensive (by like $5 a day) and has cooking facilities. In addition he will tell you that the main building has no heating. I was the only one in the main building and it was very spacious (room was ok sized by these big old homes are spacious inside) so i guess it would be a waste to switch the heating on just for me. But I didn't care so asked for the main building. So, the first night was rather cold (the blanket wasn't really thick enough) so the next day he turned on the heating for a while even though i was the only one there (to prevent me from freezing!!) but at night it was slight chilly still. It was slightly spooky having a whole floor to myself but im sure that's not the case when there are more guests. Brian was very cautious about everything, like not having the curtains open at night, checking that all the windows were closed etc. Also, I knew there were 3 people staying in the Carriage house and wanted to meet them but he wasn't forward with allowing interaction between the 2 separate bits of the building it seemed... In the main building, the doors are shut between 12-5, so you cant leave your bag with Brian on your last day if your coach or whatever is before 5. Overall, clean, good location, and although he may warn about dangers after dark (especially tourist muggings), i walked in the historic district at about 9 and there were many students around (it has an art college), and if you are young, most people just mistaken you for a college student, especially if you are carrying a (guide) book in your hand. Last thing, Brian has a really cute, lively daughter in the house :)

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank yulaana
Reviewed 9 August 2009

This place was a first try "hostel" style for us. It was impulsive and we definitely regret the $70 we spent for the room. If you spend $70 I would expect a TV or something...I mean you can easily spend less at a hotel. You check in at 5pm and are literally KICKED out at 10:45am, the owner knocks on the door to make sure you are awake!!! The floors were gross, he closes the place down from 11am-5pm to clean so why are they so dirty? He has a ton of crazy rules he rambles while showing you the place, he was on auto pilot with the explanation of things. If you have a car for your trip to Savannah go to mid-town almost southside to the Days Inn and spend $49 a night with a pool, TV, etc. It also offended me that when we were first asking about the rates he said if we stayed an extra night he would take off "5 bucks, there you can have a beer on me." Seriously? He's a little coo-coo. He doesn't make a copy of you drivers license, write down a credit card number, he just makes you print your name in a school paper notebook that surprisingly doesn't show the rate you are paying or date. Hmmm...I wonder how much he is paying in taxes. STAY AWAY, he is making a pretty penny here and good for him he fooled me once.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank bacarter
Reviewed 20 July 2009

Savannah is an interesting place with colorful characters and curious neighborhoods. The same goes for this place. We (two college aged ladies) stayed in the Carriage House with its 24 hour access and kitchen. Our room was adjacent to the bathroom, which we shared with another girl. The house was clean and my only complaint is the cold water, so keep you showers short or your friends will hate you.

The city is pretty small (at least the part you probably want to see) and it is easy to get around on foot. It took us 20 minutes to get to the river and if you follow Lincoln up to Perry Lane and hang a left you'll hit what turned out to be our favorite hang-out, Gallery Espresso (tasty ice-tea and bagels).

To be honest, the guy came off a little strange -- there were framed pictures of cats in the main house -- but he was nice and the place is very affordable when compared to Savannah's typical lodgings. Be careful at night though, I think the city has a crime problem and the barren streets get kinda spooky after dark.

Also, I couldn't get WIFI in the carriage house.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 April 2008

I visited this hostel back in May 2005 & I will certainly go back to Savannah! Such a beautiful place! And I felt totally at ease in the Savannah Hostel... I even enjoyed the 'lock out' period because it got me out and about enjoying the beauty of the squares instead of sitting indoors (which I could do back here in Australia).

The first night, I arrived with a Japanese fellow backpacker I met in Atlanta - she and I travelled by greyhound and then caught the free tram/bus to the hostel. It was a quick walk to the hostel but the female dorm was full so we had to stay in the male one - not a problem - the room was huge and well ventilated. The next day we moved into the female room but I think I preferred the male one better!

The owner was pretty quiet & kept to himself - he didn't stick his nose in too much but he did have a new baby back then, so we all tried to keep it down a bit. The bathrooms aren't that great and neither is the plumbing, but I didn't let that bother me.

The hostel was really close to a big supermarket too (can't remember the name of it but I think it sounded almost german!) so it was easy to get supplies. But they didn't sell alcohol on Sundays... not sure if things have changed since then.

It was only a block away from a beautiful big park with a huge fountain (see the photos), and surrounded by beautiful 'squares' which are really just a series of lush parks every block or two (see photo). Don't forget to walk down to the river and catch the jazzy bands that play nearly every night. And food - well it doesn't get much better than the South y'all! *LOL*

Yep, I'll definitely be back... maybe to buy a place and live there!

• Stayed: May 2005, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank MoJoGrisGris