“OMG!”
Review of MaRandy's - CLOSED

MaRandy's
Cuisines: Tunisian
Reviewed 16 January 2013

I usually prompt my reviews with the Warning: Foodie Review! and $$$$ ratings. But I love down home local and ethnic cuisine just as much. I have a soft spot in my heart for real Southern cooking and wow does this place deliver. You walk in and just KNOW its gonna be good. Oxtail, chitlins, smothered porkchop, succatash, collards... this is the real deal, and its made with care. if you are a visitor to Savannah, its in midtown in a small stripmall but if you want real southern food, like its been done for a hundred years, you can do no better.

1  Thank neurovictory

Reviewed 19 November 2012

When im there i feel like im with family. it feels as though im at my aunts home for Sunday dinner. i have eaten their fried pork chop as well as their fried catfish they both were delicious. they only real bad thing is they got my order wrong a few times; nevertheless it was still good i ate it anyway.
so far i have eaten their a few times, its place i plan to frequently visit perhaps once a week .

Reviewed 5 August 2012

food was so good we went for lunch and dinner. the owner came out to make sure everything was ok with everyone and our food oh my was it. make sure you go here you will love it trust me

Reviewed 28 June 2012

Was visiting friends and family in the South and had previously seen this restaurant featured on Andrew Zimmern's Bizarre Foods so wanted to try it. OMG was this place wonderful!

I grew up in the South and my family has been here since 1875. Since we are Chinese we were legally "Colored" so we could only buy property in the Colored areas, had to go to Colored schools and eat in the Colored sections of restaurants. I remember the Colored church next door to my family's grocery store serving lunch on Sunday's - fried fish, oxtail stew, pigs feet, shrimp, collards, cornbread and lots of salt pork to flavor everything. I really miss good Southern food.

I have never seen Pigs Feet on a menu so we ordered it with Peas and Red Beans and Rice. We also ordered Smothered Shrimp with Collards and Red Beans and Rice. The Pigs Feet were moist and tender. If Pigs Feet are not cooked well they can be either tough and rubbery or fatty and greasy. The Shrimp was also moist and tender not rubbery and over-cooked. But the best was the Peas and Collards. The Peas were tiny Lima Beans cooked with Salt Pork and was buttery soft and delicious. The Collards were still bright green yet tender and not tough or over-cooked. I have never had bright green Collards that were this tender and not tough. The Red Beans and Rice was perfectly cooked also. The rice and beans was fluffy and well flavored with ham.

Disappointingly they were out of Oxtail and Sweet Potato Pie. But on the good side, this means we will have to fly back out to go eat there. I'm sure the Oxtail and Sweet Potato Pie will be the best I have ever had as was this meal.

Ma Randy was just as loving as her food. She came out from behind the counter and hugged us and invited us back. We will certainly go back..

Reviewed 4 June 2012

Saw this one on the travel channel and had to check it out. Best meal we ate this year on vacation. Tucked away in a little strip mall, if you didn't know it was there you would pass it up. I had the smothered pork chop and my wife had the blackened chicken, both with collard greens, mac and cheese, rice, and cornbread (best I've ever eaten, don't tell Granny). Both were excellent. The red velvet cake and iced tea mixed with lemonade just made it over the top. Not to mention the little lady behind the counter. She was the friendliest person we met on our trip. My wife just wanted to take her home.