“Cheap sushi place”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Downtown
“Cheap sushi place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

We stumbled upon this place on Easter when staying in the city and walking, and decided on a whim to try it since not a lot was open. They give you free spring onion flatbread as an appetizer, which is nice. It seems like a college place. Staff are student like and are very attentive. The menu is low on descriptions. However, the sushi was very good, nothing fancy. The bathrooms are terribly scary, which made me wonder about the cleanliness of the place. However, none of us got sick, which is always a good thing! I'd recommend if you don't want to spend much for good sushi.

• Visited March 2013

Buffalo, New York
“Not kitchy, not cute, just odd”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013 via mobile

Reviews on foodie sites recommended this place. The place itself however was scary. The waitstaff were grungy punk rockers; we had at least 3 different of them, all needed a bath and shave. They hovered over the food prep area chatting it up. The cash out counter is a clutter of mish-mash; the owners are oblivious to patrons until it is time to pay.

We persevered... disappointingly, the menu provides no explanation of what you are getting. I was surprised to find neon yellow roe adorning my spicy tuna roll, which by the way had no spice. My boyfriend enjoyed his meal and finished mine as well. The presentation was plated nicely if nothing else.

Oh and do not even consider using a bathroom, if wasabi hits your nose, use your sleeve, less chance of contracting something. All in all the food may be good, but the atmosphere is concerning. Didnt see a health rating posted.

Canada
“Awesome sushi in a quirky place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

This sushi place is right opposite the Marshall House, where we stayed. We had ignored it the first week and also had a pact not to eat at same place more than once in Savannah, to try more. We ended up going 3 times.
The sushi is perfect and I have eaten sushi all over the World plus my daughter in law's dad is a Japanese sushi chef, so we have a lot!
It is the weirdest most eccentric looking place I have ever eaten sushi inside. After we had been there once I read the reviews and so mixed! Now being Brit/ Canadians we were really looking forward to another visit to see a Fawlty Towers-like "angry lady at front desk shouting"..."mean sushi chef"..."horrible skanky SCAD students"..."cockroaches scuttling around"...."angry waitress girl yelling about tips"
Disappointingly on that side of things....NOTHING!! Lovely Chinese couple, yes a Chinese sushi chef (you don't have to be Japanese!) Yes skinny SCAD students who look like they need a good meal and a bit of a brush up...but that's what students are supposed to be like! They were entertaining, adorable and interesting (Nico, Devan and Josh, chemistry not SCAD) We did see a fruit fly once.
"John" the sushi chef makes perfect sushi, light, perfect rice ratio, fresh delicious fish...wonderfully presented.
Our last evening John wasn't there, but they phoned him from the bike shop he also has and he came back to roll sushi! We were also given extra pieces and a little plum wine.
For so much sushi (each time we couldn't eat anymore)...plus sake and Japanese beer...the bill came to between $40 and $50 for two. Crazy cheap.
We LOVED this place! (we're both over 50) So I would suggest going with an open mind, ignore anything else you may not like and concentrate on the sushi! I think it's all in your own attitude if anyone gets mad...the lady at the front desk is busy, have some respect for her!
We had tried Sushi Zen in our first week and it was good, but not SO great.
We would definitely go to Sakura again and again on our next trip to Savannah.
I think I've raved enough now...I'm wanting more just looking at my own photos.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Sue p
toledo,OH
“bad service, bad food, long waiting time and careless staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012

i went there to eat dinner on Saturday night, the food was not good at all and the waiting time was more than an hour to get seated and more than one hour and a half to get the food.
we ordered cooked sushi and ended up getting gross raw sushi that has no taste what-so-ever. i did another order of sushi (just to give them another try of something else) and told the waitress to make sure to get us a cooked sushi this time. again she got us a raw sushi. i tried to tell her the sushi is not cooked at all, bu she replied the sushi is very well cooked and it looks like you don't know how cooked sushi is (so rude !!!). i didn't want to screw my night so i payed the bill and lift the place without eating our order.
i emailed the restaurant the next day hoping to get some kind of apology from them about their service, but they ignored me and never replied back even with little recognition of them e-mail.
I would never ever come back again, and i wouldn't advice anybody to eat there.

• Visited October 2012
Jacksonville, Florida
“Not impressed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

Food was okay. Place was kinda dingy and lacking. Seats were not comfortable at all!! Servers were okay, but not really into it. Wont be going back.

Visited September 2012