“please open a restaurant in PA!!!”
Review of Bamalams Brickhouse BBQ - CLOSED

Bamalams Brickhouse BBQ
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Philly
“please open a restaurant in PA!!!”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We landed here through a happy accident, since our travel guide listed this establishment as Blue Smoke BBQ, which had closed. We decided to try it anyway, and were so glad we did! Bamalam is a relatively new establishment, and the staff is clearly very interested in pleasing their guests. The ribs were succulent and flavorful and pleased all age groups in our party. The menu offers tourists and locals the perfect opportunity to sample typical Southern fare, as the ribs come with a choice of two traditional Southern sides. I chose the sweet potato tater tots and fried okra and my daughter and friend had the mac and cheese. In addition, there are six varieties of Southern bbq sauces at the table in beer caddies, which are also described in detail on the menu. Everyone was very happy with their choices and we were more than happy to leave with leftovers! The staff was also incredible. Jill, our server, was so happy to meet people from her home state of PA, that she gave us free dessert to take home. Both chefs also came out to make sure we enjoyed the food. Our beer connoisseur friends were also happy with the choices on tap as well as with the variety of craft beers in cans. All in all I would highly recommend this restaurant to those seeking an excellent meal, that serves all tastes.

Visited June 2013

Miami, Florida
“I Walked Out”
Reviewed 7 July 2013

On a nice summer afternoon I am walking the streets of Savannah and I am drawn to the sounds of a band playing a few steps down the street from me. The musical entertainment is coming from under a canvas tent outside of what I discover to be Bamalams Brickhouse BBQ.

Stepping inside the front entrance, I find the dining area empty and ask an approaching waitress if the event outside was a private function. To my delight I am told that it is not and decide that this looks like a good place for a meal and a brew.

I join others outside and wait about ten minutes before the same waitress comes to take my drink order. I ask about the beer on tap and randomly choose one from the selections offered.

My waitress is also working a large table in front of me so I patiently wait about another 5-10 minutes for her to come take my order while I listen to the band starting up another set.

Eventually, I order a pulled pork sandwich which I am looking forward to having with some of the interesting sauces on my table.

In the meantime another table of two is seated next to me and they are being served by another waitress who I over hear telling them about a beer special, “still left over in the computer from last night”.

Although I did not specifically inquire about beer specials, I do feel a little slighted that my waitress did not offer up the same information.

Enjoying the music as a brief thunderstorm downpour pounds our canvas protection, I lose track of time as I sip on my brew waiting for my food to be delivered.

As I wait the table that sat down after me receives their order and it has been over 30 minutes since I first sat down.

Peering over I am disappointed to see them being served two orders of pulled pork sandwiches with heaping piles of french fries. Despite enjoying the music this is the final straw.

Obviously my waitress is not concerned about my order or attentive to my needs. Taking what is left of my beer, I step inside hand it to her and told her to cancel my order.

Walking out I am approached by a big bouncer type guy and asked if I had a problem in there. I told him I think it is ridiculous that I have to wait over 30 minutes for a pulled pork sandwich especially when a table that sat down after me receives the same thing before I did.

I can count on two fingers the times I have walked out of a restaurant and this is one of them.

I hope this was just an exception to Bamalams Brickhouse BBQ service as they did seem to offer a nice and tasty selection of reasonably price menu items.

• Visited July 2013