“Very Nice Stay”

SpringHill Suites Savannah Airport
Ranked #74 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed 21 April 2008

We used a rewards voucher for a free night at the Springhill Suites on our way north. The hotel is easy to get to off the interstate. The check in staff were friendly and helpful, and yes, there were fresh cookies in the lobby. Next to that is a pantry where you can buy snacks, frozen food or toiletries. The entire place has a 'new' feel to it.

Our room was a king studio: a small sofa & armchair, desk, and kitchenette on one side of the room, then the bed, bathroom sink, and bathroom on the other side. The kitchenette area had a small sink, microwave, and mini-fridge. Also a free small bottle of water. They provide real mugs & glasses with the coffee pot & coffee fixings, and then another nice touch: some paper plates & plasticware!

The bed & pillows were super comfy, and the outdoor noise & a/c noise were minimal.

The morning starts with a free USA Today at your door. Then on to the complimentary breakfast, which was impressive for a weekday morning: eggs, sausage, hot oatmeal, waffle maker, fresh fruit, milk, cereal, and all the other breakfast staples. The food was hot and did not run out. BUT one of the waffle makers consistently spat out uncooked waffles with the batter still gooey on the inside. (Even cooking them twice didn't do the trick.) YUCK! Avoid the waffle makers and you'll do fine. A nice employee named Philip circulated among the guests and gave out toys to the little kids.

Overall, we'd definitely stay here again as a stopover on a long trip.

Stayed: April 2008
1  Thank ATLTripAdv

Reviewed 21 March 2008

I stayed in the SpringHill Suites for a very quick business trip to Savannah. The hotel must be brand new because even my room smelled like fresh paint and carpet. The first thing I noticed was how clean, fresh, and new everything was in the entire hotel. Front desk service was warm and friendly. The breakfast options were typical, but fresh with some variety. The main lobby offers a nice area for relaxing in front of a large TV and a small "business" office with internet access. Of course, the hotel is only minutes from the airport but surprisingly it wasn't loud like you would expect. There are several restaurants within a short driving distance and the downtown Riverfront area is only about a 20 minute drive.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 February 2008

We drove to Florida from NY and decided to stay in Savannah for the night. We stayed at the Springhill Suites because it was right off I-95. My family and I loved this hotel.

The room was very clean and big enough for our family of 5. We got a room with 2 queen beds and a pull out sofa. The only problems with the room, as far as we were concerned. was there was only one tv in the center of the room. My son was in the sofa bed and the rest of the family were in the beds and we could all not watch the tv at the same time. Another problem with the room was the lack of lighting outside the bathroom. There is a vanity light over the sink, however the area in front of the full length mirror was rather dark.

The hotel is about 20 minutes from downtown Savannah, which was beautiful. We walked around and had a wonderful dinner at Churchill's.

The morning breakfast that came with the $105/night room was just fine for our family as were the warm cookies in the lobby.

If we decide to drive back to Florida next year, we would definitely stop at the SpringHill Suites again!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank lovewarmweather
Reviewed 12 December 2007

My family of four stayed there for a weekend at the Friends and Family rate. The room we originally had was a king room, but it was too cramped for us. The next day, I asked if we could switch to a 2 queen beds room. One person at the desk said I could get the room but I would have to pay the regular rate. Now I had just checked the Marriott site before asking to see if rooms were available for the rate I had and there were. However, the desk person ( I suppose she was some type of mgmt) refused to give me the rate. I took the room anyway. Luckily, another manager who was right beside her came to us later and told us he will make sure we get the Friends and Family rate. Why the other manager wanted to act like a [--] towards us is beyond me.

The breakfast was pretty good. Though at times there were long periods of food being gone.

I wish I could remember the manager that looked out for us. He was absolutely great. During breakfast hours he made small chat with all the guests and gave a toy to kids. He definitely deserves a lot of praise for taking pride in his job.

Besides that incident, we had a pleasant stay.

Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank jarobi1
Reviewed 11 December 2007

I had been at a convention at a "grand old hotel" in downtown Savannah, and decided to move to the SpringHill Suites Savannah Airport for the last night. Good thing too. This hotel was much nicer, and had free shuttle service to the airport and a couple of nearby eateries, which allowed me to turn in the rental car a day early and get to the airport easier the next day!

Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank ellwooddiesel
Reviewed 16 March 2007

Thanks to TripAdvisor, I took the advice of another poster who noted that s/he should've stayed in Pooler, instead of Savannah proper, because all the Airport/Pooler properties are new. This hotel had great amenities and helpful staff. The room seemed a little "cold" (not in temp, but style) but was well appointed. My main complaint about the room was that the corners of our bed sheets kept popping up. We weren't doing anything too exciting, but our 2.5-year-old son can be a little lively. Even still, the corners still popped up with the normal toss and turn of sleep. The hotel needs to invest in deeper sheets or sheet anchors or something. I also noticed a tag on the mattress stating that the matters should be rotated every six months and it was clear, from the position of the tag and the month, that the mattress apparently wasn't rotated on schedule. We arrived at 9-ish PM and weren't able to get any food service from area restaurants (we tried ordering pizza, and even Domino's suddenly claimed to be closed, after answering the phone with a spiel asking us if we wanted to take advantage of the current special). I jumped in the car and zoomed across the street for take-out at Sam Snead's Tavern. Since it was Sunday, they were closing at 10 PM and Curtis the bartender was a bit gruff, but warmed up a bit. The food there was good, by the way. Back to the Springhill, the breakfast was pretty diverse, for a freebie. We jumped in the pool (warm the night before when we dangled a toe in), now cold. So jumped in the heated whirlpool instead. Note that the YMCA holds a water aerobics class there Monday mornings from 9:15 to 10:15 (the Y's pool is outdoors, so when it's warmer, I guess they'll go back to the Y). Overall, we were very pleased with this stay (is it a Tempurpedic mattress? We didn't have a glass of wine to find out, but it seemed like it).

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank Maar
Reviewed 9 October 2006

Normally, this type of hotel would deserve a 5 star rating. There are some minor distractions though. I will start with the good...

GOOD:
Large rooms, clean, separate bedroom/living areas, wet bar, at least 12' ceilings on 1st floor suite rooms, exercise are, indoor pool and Jacuzzi.

The room was clean, in order; cleaning staff did a good job of keeping things as they should be. The bed was very comfortable to my wife and I, I think it is foam but not sure. There is an office/living area separated by a doorless wall from the bedroom and bathroom which was very nice, especially if you have work to do and do not want to disturb those going to bed, very nice touch!

The bathroom was HUGE with a nice shower head with multiple settings. A wet bar with mini fridge and microwave made a nice "kitchenette" area.

Breakfast was served each morning. Eggs, Sausage, cereals, juices, yogurts, toast, bagels, english muffins, blueberry muffins, waffles, coffee were on tap.

BAD:

We paid $132/night during our stay. For me, this was a little overpriced for what we got. Consider this... We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Innsbrook, Va for $79/night which had luxurious accommodations. Sure, we paid $10 for breakfast but is was a gourmet FEAST!

As other reviews have noted, the A/C unit is located right next to your bed and is of the style you will find in an EconoLodge or so and is VERY loud! We had to keep it off most of the time just to hear ourselves sleep!

The fan in the bathroom is a complete mystery to me...It literally sounds as if you are standing next to a Boeing 747. Why?

The night staff is beyond rude and offensive! They act as though you are disturbing them by wanting to purchase an overpriced item from their "market". Yes, all hotels in this class have overpriced market items but, at least be nice, smile and give me a reach around while I am being wallet raped!

The seating area for breakfast can get overcrowded quickly.

OVERALL:

I would stay here again, the morning staff was MORE than nice. The gentleman manning the breakfast bar was extremely nice! If they would simply replace the bathroom fans with a quieter model, relocate the A/C unit to be more like a central unit, this would be a near perfect stay!

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
5  Thank skoldpadda