“Clean and Comfortable, but Disconcerting”

SpringHill Suites Savannah Airport
Ranked #75 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We stayed here overnight on a recent road trip.

The Good: Room was in excellent condition, clean and well maintained. My 10-year old is a sofabed snob and she had a good night's sleep on the pull-out. The main king bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom was spotless. The free breakfast was quick and easy, and we enjoyed eggs, sausage, muffins, and decent coffee before hitting the road again.

The Less Good: Check-in agent, Lavonne (?), was impersonal and cold - it was as though we were bothering her. She wasn't rude, but she seemed to be annoyed about something and it showed. She didn't ask me for my identification at check-in, and was ready to hand me my room keys without verifying I was who I said I was - disturbing, especially on the road.

We've stayed at this property before while passing through on previous road trips, and never had issues, but based on our experience at check-in, I'll probably think twice before booking here again. Disappointing.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 June 2013

Stayed here for one night while passing through the area. The property is convenient to the airport an I-95 and there are many dining options in the area. The rooms were spacious and clean but the furniture was somewhat worn. The couch cushions were worn, stained, and needed replacing. The arm on the desk chair was just about falling off and the cushion was also worn. The bed was ok, not the greatest night sleep I had but also not the worst. The internet was very slow and was still slow after the front desk reset the router. The wired internet in the room did not work at all. This property is suitable for a quick stop over but could use some updating.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed here at the same time as a previous reviewer, and did not experience any of the problems they did. Shew! We made the reservation on the road while driving. No problems at check-in at all. Friendly male desk clerk had keys ready and room assigned when we talked in at about 5 pm. Room was ready, and clean. We did have to go downstairs for additional bedding for the sofa bed, as there was only a blanket provided. Bathroom doors in the room did not easily close and latch well, but everything else worked fine. The indoor pool area is small, and does not take many people to fil it up. Breakfast was fine, although previous comments about additional seating are accurate. We used the computers in the lobby to print reservations and tickets for the next travel stop. One computer was very challenging to use because it had so much malware on it, but the other worked fine and our task was complete. There is a gas station very nearby, and we found gas to cost about 20 cents more per gallon that one across the interstate. Previous comments about a slow elevator are accurate as well. Good hotel for a night's rest while traveling, but don't think we would stay here for an extended period of time due to location.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2013

A sub-par Mariott property. AC noisy. Wall outlet by bed loose in wall, single elevator seemed broken and then actually did break. Room looked tired. Not enough breakfast seating for weekend full hotel.

In an area with 11 hotels within a half mile, seems like time for a makeover.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on our way to Florida. It's off of I95. The free breakfast was very good. The rooms were clean. However, the air conditioner in our room made a terrible rattling noise and never felt like it cooled the room off properly. The light/fan in the bathroom also rattled terribly.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We stayed in this Springhill Suites for one night on our way to NC. Lobby, dining area, and our room (and bath) were spotless and very well maintained with everything in working order.
Warm greeting and very professional front desk staff. Quick check in but made to feel at home not rushed.
Breakfast normal offerings, always replenished, with tables and serving areas very clean and inviting.
Enjoyed our one night stay and would stay again.

Room Tip: Had a room on the 3rd floor with no outside noise.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2013

This was our stopover on our way to Florida. We chose to stay outside of Savannah because of the ease off of 95 but also the closeness to downtown Savannah. Very convenient to get into the city from this location. I would say that was the only good thing about this hotel. I am a huge supporter of Marriott hotels and always stay in one, no matter where we go. I chose this location based off the reviews on TripAdvisor. I was so disappointed with our overall experience. Lets start out by me commenting on the front desk clerk. He appeared to be new at the position because he had to ask the other clerk numerous questions about everything he did. Instead of the other clerk staying with him and assisting him while he was checking me in, she kept going in the back, over to the copy machine, printer, etc. So, every time he had a question he had to go find her. Talk about annoying!!! After about 15 minutes, he finally got us checked in and when we went into the room, I wish we would have never checked in. I'm the type that when you see the most basic thing that should be cleaned and it's not, then I'm going to start checking around to see what else is dirty. Lets start with the toilet. Absolutely filthy. There was BM all over the underside of the seat, mold in the toilet bowl, and hairs behind the seat. Looking in the just the bathroom there was mold on the walls and shower curtain and hair on the floor. In the main room area, there was a blanket left on the couch with the plastic bag beside it. The house keeper came back in for it after we were already in the room. Food crumbs were all over the microwave area and everything I looked at had dust on it and two of the lights weren't even plugged in! We called the front desk and my husband insisted the manager comes to the room because he wanted to show her firsthand the filthiness of the room. She came up and agreed the room was dirty. She said there was not much she could do but move us to another room. So, she went away and came back a short while later with a new room key and said they had the maintenance person check the room before us going into it. We get to the room and from the initial look, the room appeared to be ok. She left but then I open up the cupboard below the sink area and there were 7 bags of chips and an open jar of mayonnaise!! DISGUSTING. My husband gets on the phone and calls her right back. In the meantime, we find a badge left from a prior guest on the window sill. We also find another disgusting toilet, a gum wrapper on the floor and hairs on the bathroom floor. While waiting for her to come to the room a cockroach walked across the bed!!! My husband caught it and we put it in a bag because we wanted to show the manager how disgusting these rooms are. No wonder there was a cockroach...there was an open jar of mayonnaise under the sink. The manager was very understanding of our situation but said there was not much she could do. She said she could refund us our money and pass along our experience to her manager which is the district manager and that he should be contacting us. It's over a week later and we still have not heard from this district manager. When I asked the manager if we were the only ones experiencing uncleanliness in the rooms and she said yes. If this is true, then I would say that they need to fire the housekeeper that cleaned the two rooms we were exposed to because they are paying her to do nothing. Her name is Ashley and her comment card was in both of our rooms!! We will never ever think of staying here again, Marriott overall will receive my feedback on my experience and I would never ever suggest anyone stay here. There are many hotels in this area...choose a different one...you will be glad that you did.

Room Tip: Don't stay in any room that Ashley has cleaned. Because really, she never cleaned it. Joke is...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family