“A beautiful Marriott needs staff training”

Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection
Ranked #26 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Macon, Georgia, United States
“A beautiful Marriott needs staff training”
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

This beautifully renovated boutique hotel overlooking Forsyth Park is operated by the Marriott chain but needs additional training of its Front Desk staff. The doormen and car valets are hospitable and helpful but the Front Desk staff did not know how to correctly change my room charges. The reservation was made by my sister in my name and the room deposit was charged to her credit card. I wanted this charge billed to my credit card and the Marriott Rewards for the visit credited to my Rewards account. The front desk clerk did not know how to do this. I ended up reimbursing my sister by check when the desk clerk could not figure out how to accomplish these billing changes.

The hotel was very attractive with original oil paintings in the hallways and in our spacious room. The beautiful marble bath had a large handicap accessible shower but water was difficult to keep confined to the shower despite the shower curtain. The room was too dark for me. The windows of our first floor room opened onto the interior patio/pool and opening the curtains for light was not an option. The comfort of our king bed was great with abundant pillows and duvet.

Comfort: 5/5 Decor: 4/5 Cleanliness: 5/5 Lighting: 3/5 Service: Desk:3/5, Doormen: 5/5 Value: 3/5

Cost: $335.48/night (including all taxes). Valet parking: $22/night but parking is available on the streets around the hotel.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Arabic first
Indiana
Reviewed 24 November 2013

So, we went on a wonderful girls trip to Savannah and stayed at this super cool and fun hotel. Too bad everyone in the room could hear you pee. We stayed in a two queen room with four people. The bathroom was separated from the room by a curtain. Yup. A curtain. The toilet was encased in clear glass, as was the shower. So, this meant that only one person could be with in the curtain enclosed area at a time. It contained the sink, mirror, hairdryer, bathtub, shower, and toilet. I could totally understand this arrangement in a room with only a king, but this room was designed for more than two people. It was a great looking room. You could see that the interior designer was trying real hard to be cool and funky. Too bad that function was completely over looked.
Ok, the good stuff: the bed were super comfy. The rooms décor was gorgeous, except for the scary modern art work (but some people like the stare at asymmetrical breasts on the wall, so...you know, whatever floats your boat). Staff was kind and helpful. Everything was clean. The restaurant in the hotel was delicious. And the concierge room was great with good food. Beautiful hotel. I would have given it 5 stars if a girl could just find a private place to do her lady business. But I think it would be great to go with my hubby. (No newly weds though...you need to keep some of the mystery for at least a couple of months. )

Room Tip: Ask for the handicap room. Their bathroom had a door.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank aes37
NJ
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We decided to stay here the last leg of our trip once we went into the hotel for cocktails and dinner. The hotel is beautiful, a combination of elegant and artistic. We were excited about staying there our last night after enjoying the kindness of the people of Savannah and HIlton Head. We could not have been more underwhelmed by the two ladies who we first encountered at the desk when we arrived to check in. They could not have been any less welcoming. They barely acknowledge us when we approached the desk. One was on the phone and never even looked at us while we stood in front of here waiting to check in. It must have rained earlier in the day and there are marble floors in the entrance and throughout the hotel. I slipped and almost took a bad fall, had not someone grabbed me who was standing in there. When I told one of the woman at the desk what happened so they could do something to prevent someone else from falling- she replied f the mop it, it will only get wet again. I suggested another mat out front, she just kind of shrugged. As I went to leave the desk, I slipped in front of he again ( water again on marble) I looked at her and she kind of rolled her eyes and said she would tell someone to look after it. It really set the tone for our opinion of the hotel. It was a Sunday night and the hotel was empty, yet it took at least 15 minutes for the bellman to get our bags to us from the lobby. HE was pleasant but we were anxious to get out things so we could go out to dinner. The hotel is absolutely gorgeous, as was our room. Boutique feel with an incredible interior design. Negative- The walls in your room are paper thin as we could hear the gentleman talking in the next room all night when we were trying to sleep. Any conversations people had as they went down the halls sounded as if it was right in your room. Positives- Great rooftop bar and lobby bar. We did not eat here as we ate at Garibaldi's restaurant ( GREAT ambience, service and meal) the Pink House, and the River House restaurants, (all I would recommend). We will be in Savannah a lot over the next year for business. It is a shame we did not receive the level of service we expected from the Mansion, as we really did LOVE the decor. This hotel is also not within walking distance to many of the area attractions, although they did offer a shuttle to their sister hotel along the River- The driver of the shuttle was EXTREMELY pleasant and accommodating!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cherNJ
San Angelo, Texas
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Unique room layout! This hotel was opulent and the staff was courteous and very helpful. Our room was plush! The bath and sleeping area were one big room with the tub almost in the middle of the room. There were curtains surrounding the bath area so you could have privacy. The gym was too small for the hotel with only one elliptical. The TVs on the machines didn't work. This hotel was not in the shopping part of town but they offered a free shuttle to their sister hotel in the shopping/tourist area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Annapolis
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We went to Savannah, GA for Christmas Vacation. We stayed at the Mansion. Our room was very nice, old traditional style, a little dark. Great art work along the hallways. We requested a view of Forsyth Park. Unfortunately, our room was right over the lobby and the valet parking. So, we could hear people coming and going, cars starting, etc. We were close enough to walk through the park and the "squares" and the sites based on Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. It's a Marriott hotel, but looks nothing like a hotel. The front desk staff were young and somewhat unprofessional. I wanted to wrap a Christmas gift and asked if I could use their scissors. They had an attitude and made some type of negative comment as if I wouldn't return them. I wrapped the gift in front of them in the lobby and quickly returned them. The front staff could be more polite as guests enter and exit the "mansion". I am worthy.

Room Tip: Don't get a room over the valet parking.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
San Jose, California
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Immediately on check in, one takes in the ambiance of this hip, upbeat hotel: happy, helpful staff, original paintings and décor and urban mood music.

The hallways are adorned with eye-catching, contemporary original pieces of art and my room had original stylish decoration. The bathroom had a large bath with big shutters that opened up into the room. The room was quiet and the bed comfortable.

In the evening it was enjoyable to have a glass of wine and an hors d'oeuvres in the longue adjacent the lobby -- the bar tender was very professional and friendly. For breakfast, the associated restaurant next door serves a lovely, high calibre breakfast (at a reasonable price). This hotel is opposite a delightful park.

The only thing that was a little troubling was the feeling that the hotel was trying to make money on "extras." For example there were bath salts next to the bath that if you were not careful to read a note on the bubble bath next to it, cost $25 to use (which I accidently used without realising the cost). The bottled water was expensive, and the WIFI is not free (although, I must add that the front desk was kind enough to comp for me). However, all said and done, this is a wonderful hotel; I enjoyed my stay here and would be happy to stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 14 November 2013

The hotel was truly beautiful. The art and the decor of the grounds are spectacular. The staff was very friendly and accommodating..The rooms were large and spacious and very modern…The room service was great and very quick and the prices were reasonable. The only down side is the hotel is a good walk from the downtown and river-front area where all of the shopping and other restaurants are…A great hotel for a getaway with your wife or partner, but not a hotel with a family. It is difficult for a family to get around. The hotel is not a great chose if you have kids bc the environment is very chic and does not lend itself for kids….

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family