“For the money it should be better”

Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection
Ranked #26 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
“For the money it should be better”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

While it is a very pretty hotel, made to look old but newer construction, there were too many t's left uncrossed and i's without dots. While the artwork everywhere was a nice touch, there were several things needing a little repair in our room. The doors that open up over the tub and glass door shower may be great for romantic couples, provide no privacy when traveling with children. There had been an event in the courtyard which was long over, and we entered into the hotel and had a view of disheveled chairs and tables, this class of hotel should be on their game and have it cleaned up. We also paid extra for concierge floor benefits, but is now in the restaurant semi attached to the hotel and up the stairs. It was okay, not sure it was worth the extra money. While the hotel is not on the riverfront, they have a shuttle and is located across the street from a fabulous park. I was expecting an impeccable hotel, but it wasn't.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Elisa D, Front Office Manager at Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
We appreciate the feedback you have provided and glad you were able to enjoy the artwork. I have attempted to reach out to you directly via private message and would like to discuss the details of your stay. Your satisfaction and loyalty is a priority and I hope to speak with you soon.

Warm Regards,
Elisa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Arabic first
Enterprise, Alabama
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

Spent the long weekend at the Mansion on Forsyth Park for a long weekend getaway with my boyfriend to explore Savannah. The Mansion effortlessly blends the historical house (home of the 700 Drayton restaurant) with the main hotel which looks just as historical from the outside and inside. A member of Marriott's boutique Autograph Collection, the Mansion is high class and luxury at its finest. Marble bathrooms, spacious guest rooms, a spa and gorgeous location in the middle of the Historic District, the hotel is walking distance from the restaurants and bars of Bay and River Streets. One of the best, if not the best, hotel I have ever stayed at, with an attractive city to explore too!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

We made reservations for two nights, Thursday and Friday,which included valentine's day. We made a non refundable reservation. Wednesday we found out that one foot of snow was forecast for our home in Maryland. When I called and explained that we couldn't possibly drive down to Savannah until Saturday they changed our reservation. They were very accommodating. We love the location and walked all over the historic district today. The room is spacious and very clean. We couldn't be happier.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Beaufort, South Carolina
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We stayed here on a recent Friday and Saturday night to celebrate my birthday. It was excellent. We love the location (across from the beautiful Forsyth Park) but close to the fun of downtown and River street. There is a shuttle from the hotel to the Bohemian downtown but we did not use it. The hotel is not like home - the decor is lush and exotic - a bit over the top. Everyone is very helpful, especially Lauren at the front desk and Spenser who delivered something to our room.. The first morning we treated ourselves to breakfast in bed - I had an egg-white omelet with bacon and cheese, toast, fruit and coffee. My husband had the pancakes with bananas and syrup. We were full the whole day.

You can enjoy the Farmers' Market on Saturday directly across the street or go to the cafe, which is owned by the hotel, and have a Starbucks,lunch, etc.

One evening before dinner we enjoyed drinks in the downstairs bar. The bartender, Gavin, was very helpful and even learned how to make my husband's favorite drink (a Keeneland Breeze).

The halls and downstairs are filled with art, there is also a very interesting display of hats over 100 years. it's just a fun, funky hotel.

We would definitely return to this wonderful place. A great place to celebrate a special occasion.

Room Tip: We were in room 425 on the concierge level. It had a lovely view. There is a spa but we did not us...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Lockport, New York
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We found the staffing to be the very epitome of Southern charm and hospitality, very warm and yet completely professional. We had a deluxe Queen, with a park view. Very large space, tastefully appointed, and a delightful soaking tub that opened up with french windows into the room itself.

Location was great - and there is a free shuttle that will take you down to the waterfront if you aren't of a mind to walk down Bull Street. We didn't dine in the attached restaurant, preferring to take in Vic's and other locations.

I can't say enough about it. We were in Savannah to see our son graduate from Parris Island, and from this location we were able to turn a day trip into a luxurious vacation. We'll return to Savannah soon.

Room Tip: Room 303 ... excellent. However, it looks out directly onto the park, a very short distance from an...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AlexCherie7233
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 2 February 2014

A wonderful choice for many reasons.

Location: go out the front door and you are at Forsyth Park, a great place to walk or run, see the fountain & monuments and there is coffee shop at tennis court end. It is about a mile to River St. but walking is great way to see the many squares and shops and its shaded. I hear there is local/free transportation around town but have never found it.

Interior: it looks and feels like a mansion. Greeted with glass of champagne, walked around to view displays of vintage hats, walls filled with artwork, gift shop with local talent, bar area & courtyard with pool. Downstairs is spa and workout room.

Rooms: Luxurious bedding, furnishing & decor. Option to open 'window' style doors while in spa tub to watch TV.

Parking is valet but easy access to vehicle.

All in all, worth the experience and would highly recommend especially for special event.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank priceless_xx
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 1 February 2014

We stayed at the Mansion on Forsyth Park in January 2014. We were impressed with the decor as it was "old savannah" and the front desk was super nice. However, as soon as we got to the room I was disgusted. The bathroom toilet had wipe marks on the seat, the glass door to the bathroom had splatter marks down it (what the splatter was I'm afraid to know) The wood doors of the bathroom also had the splatter marks. To touch the bathroom vanities you could feel a coat of something on them and all the mirrors had major streaks. We found trash from the previous people under the chair. I called the front desk and they said they would have it cleaned or we could switch rooms. We were already unpacked so I just asked they re-clean it. Well they came in, picked up the trash under the chair and left. That was it. The bathroom was still gross. I just took my baby's sanitizer wipes and cleaned down the bathroom myself.

The next morning the coffee machine didn't work. When we called the lady at the front desk said she would send someone to look at it. My husband asked (nicely I might add) if they could just bring a new one so we could have our coffee. The lady at the front desk snapped back at him and said "that’s what I just said I would do sir". I was shocked because the staff the night before was so friendly and the staff the next morning so rude.

Location wise this hotel is in an OK spot. I think to get right in the middle of things you need to go to hotels down on the riverfront

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jennifer S
Elisa D, Front Office Manager at Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Thank you for your review and allowing me to speak with you about your recent experience. It is through your feedback that we learn how to improve. I have shared your comments with our Housekeeping staff so that we may fix the issues you encountered. Please accept my sincere apologies. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence in the future.

Warm Regards,