“Lovely visit to the Mansion on Forsyth Park”

Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection
Ranked #26 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Calabash, North Carolina
“Lovely visit to the Mansion on Forsyth Park”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This was my first stay at the Mansion and it was delightful. Starting with the staff – front desk (They were happy to accommodate an early check-in), shuttle drivers, staff, housekeeping – all went above and beyond. The first floor room was comfortable with a sweet view right out to the park. Loved the soaking tub (Just be careful not to open the bath salts unless you want them. It's a quick $25 added to your tab). Loved the rainfall shower. There's a very nice bar on the first floor, beautiful art gallery, nice little workout room – clean and in great condition. I didn't eat at the restaurant or use any of the spa offerings, so I can't speak to the quality there. As seems to be an industry trend, sheets aren't changed daily at the Mansion anymore, but my room was made up as soon as I left each day. Because I was traveling on points, I was offered a complimentary breakfast in a concierge suite. It included a choice of pastries, pancakes, granola, fresh fruit, etc. so I didn't order breakfast.

I have to admit, the room more than met my expectations. In the photos on the hotel website, it appeared a bit ostentatious, so it was a very pleasant surprise that the room was as comfortable and attractive as it was.

One drawback, the hotel doesn't include free Internet unless you're a gold or platinum elite (I believe) member of their rewards program. I find that ridiculous. It should be included at an any hotel presenting itself to the business traveler.

Despite that, I would definitely recommend this property. The ambiance, comfort and staff were the best.

Room Tip: Some may not be comfortable in the first floor rooms with their very large windows, but I found it t...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank duckyb28

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Arabic first
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This was third stay at the Mansion and everything has been pretty consistent. This time I was there the day before the St. Paddy's day festivities started, so it was a little bit crazier everywhere.

After a long day walking around downtown, the giant soaking tub is wonderful. Beds are comfy.

The pool area is very small, and in a courtyard, so only a few chairs get sunlight in the springtime.

I was disappointed to see a display of floating daisies placed by the elevator was moldy.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank sara v
Claremont, California
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We have enjoyed previous stays at the Mansion in the past but this last stay has been one communication after the next. First we had asked for a room later in the week at the Bohemian, which is a sister property and were told by Kyle at the front desk that they has no rooms but we could extend out stay at the Mansion. We agreed. So a day before we were to move to the Bohemian we let the front desk know we would just stat put here at the Mansion. Were told there was no problem early this morning. Then just now 8 hours later we are told they cannot accommodate us and we have to check out. After asking more questions basically they put the blame on us, which I'm stilling trying to figure out??? Now we have to check out tomorrow. How we go from sure you can stay to NO we can't accommodate you is only a huge mistake by someone in this hotel! A hotel of this caliber should never ever put there customers in this situation. But here we are. Other problems; air conditioner in the room has not been working. Last two days electrician had to service two times. Asking us to turn off lights to help the room to cool off!! Phone has not worked properly. Plus housekeeping did not change sheets. This is a beautiful hotel but with this type of service I would not recommend. We are very disappointed. Management needs to seriously take a look. Savannah is loaded with nice hotels and Band B's.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank cbhine
Elisa D, Front Office Manager at Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your review. Let me first apologize for our inability to extend your reservation for another night. I can understand your frustration of having to move hotels due to the room no longer being available. Since all of our reservations are bookable online and by phone 24 hours a day often times we can show availability in one moment and within minutes be sold out. Also, please accept my apologies for the maintenance and housekeeping errors you encountered. I have addressed those items with both teams to ensure future guests benefit from your feedback. Please know that we take every guest comment seriously and use your comments to improve. Thank you for your loyalty and we hope we get the opportunity to regain your confidence in the future.

Elisa Dickerson
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Tries just a bot too hard to be "dee-lux" and comes off SCAD Tacky! Garish to the point of puke.
Over confident at times and embarrassing itself at others. Just too many great hotels in Savannah to waste another chance with this one.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank chuckclowdis
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your recent experience of The Mansion on Forsyth Park. We are disappointed to learn that our decor was not to your liking during your stay with us. Our hotel is designed to be an eclectic representation of Bohemian style which is carried throughout the Kessler Collection. Thank you again for your feedback. We hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Elisa Dickerson
Franklin, Tennessee
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My wife & I stayed here for 4 nights in April during our visit to Savannah for their annual courtyard garden tour. The hotel was very nice, had lots of activities (weddings) going on, has an excellent restaurant, nice bar/lounge and its location is great - directly across from Forsyth Park and away from all of the clutter around the hotels near the river, etc... A very good base for everything Savannah and the area has to offer.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I loved the room - we had a king facing the park, and it was just lovely. I got a kick out of all the unexpected artwork - very eclectic. All staff was welcoming and great with a smile and offers of any help we needed! My only suggestion would be that they need to coordinate with the restaurant better for the guests that have breakfast included.... the staff there did not know ours was included, Why would they not have a list of guests?? The first morning, we also were seated in an off room of the mansion restaurant - with a very long wait for even silverware and place settings. The champagne bucket to my immediate right had a bottle of cleaning spray and a dirty rag........ wow... but.... the second day was a complete turnaround... we even were seated with all the other guests, LOL. All in all - a beautiful property.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LRHJ
London
Reviewed 16 June 2014

this hotel is in an amazing building full of artefacts and quaint art. as soon as you entree the main lobby my eyes were looking everywhere at the decor. Beautiful Chandaliers hang low over table, large comfy sofas and chairs and beautiful art work everywhere.
The rooms are incredible. quirky, chic, comfortable and fun.
the restaurant is attached to the main building but in a beautiful older part.Service and food choice and quality was excellent.
the hotel is located oppersite a lovely expanse of park area with fountains and statues, from there is a gentle 20 to 30 minute walk though the famous Savannah squares to the water front.

Room Tip: Savannah is a great walking city. lots to see and do.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends