“If I was older, and if I was younger.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection
Ranked #24 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Miami
“If I was older, and if I was younger.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2008

Now now, folks it had some bumps but it was not that bad! Given the price I do feel that I did receive good value for my stay. But I do have a few complaints, too, primarily, I wish that Kessler properties would consider how unsettling it is to listen to drunken cacklers at 3AM in the morning. No amount of wonderful bedding can make up for being awoken to loud non-stop noise. I am aware that these Saturday wedding parties generate a great deal of revenue, white noise devices available in the rooms perhaps? I would also like Kessler properties to consider on their next renovation that – less IS more when it comes to décor. But it is what it is, and the Savannah properties’ staff did strike me as well trained and attentive. Everyone was VERY helpful and friendly, to both me and my family. I had an amazing experience with my main concierge contact Sari, who worked hard to ensure our every request and question was well attended to. But overall felt that more diligence could be taken with small maintenance details, this even came down to the esurvey that I just attempted to fill in – upon completion a bug kept giving me a “select only one item on question number 8”. No matter what I enter – to no avail, the survey is not accepted (this is no oversight on my part – there is a bug). That means the 25 minutes I spent trying to provide the hotel with valuable feedback bit the digital dust. These details count and the good will a guest feels does get slowly eroded. For example, I will consider a Ritz Carlton yawn of a property over a hipper younger Kessler in the future if my stay involves a Saturday night.

• Liked — Location across from gorgeous park. Extra services.
  • Disliked — Loud drunk Saturday night partiers.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
Palm Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2008

This hotel is exceptionally awful on all levels. We stayed at this hotel on our way from Washington DC to South Florida. It was the second night of a road trip - the first night we stayed at the Fearrington House in NC. We arrived in Savannah after a 5 hour car ride and pulled up to the hotel - which is located in a less than desirable area surrounded by construction. The valet approached our car and asked for the keys, never welcoming us to the hotel. We took our own bags inside. Check in was speedy however after we arrived at our room we immediately asked to switch as it was located at ground level across from a construction site......we did not have a feeling of safety and security. Our second room was located a floor up with a "park view" however a more accurate description would have included the fact that we overlooked the driveway and a construction trailer. The room appears to have all the trappings of any other "W" inspired hotel however when you look beyond the trappings you will find a hotel that is certainly not what it appears to be. The bed spread was ripped and like the previous reviewer our "fitted" sheet came off the bed as soon as we got into it. The water does have a rather chemical smell and taste to it. The bath tub in the room appears to be a lovely and interesting feature however the privacy of the bathroom is very compromised. The decor is modern with a nod toward Savannah history with heavy mouldings, etc. We dined at the hotel restaurant and the meal was at times, wonderful, other times, really awful. The NY strip was drenched in sauce while the Cesaer salad, pork and shrimp appetizers were good. The service was supremely amatuerish. The restaurant is set among a few different rooms which are elegantly decorated. We were sat in a room that was otherwise empty upon our arrival. Soon after another couple was seated right next to us......while there were four other empty tables for two that would have provided them, and us, more privacy. Our waiter was overly familiar and frankly someone who might be more comfortable at an Applebees or Olive Garden where "You guys doing ok?" may be a more acceptable question than at an "upscale" restaurant like this.

The location of the hotel is not entirely convenient to the historic area but they do have a "house car" to take you around which was a nice feature that we did use. The driver, however, was a college boy who was not very familiar with his surroundings and again, acted entirely too familiar which annoyed us.

Upon check out the front desk attendant asked if we enjoyed our stay and we simply could not stay mum. We shared the fact that we were not very pleased and instead of listening and apologising, he became defensive. As appalling as his behaviour was, it was to be expected. As the previous reviewer says, no one there really cares about service.

On the bright side, Savannah is a beautiful city and we were glad to learn of her history though next time we will surely stay elsewhere.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
2 Thank nkp123
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2008

This hotel shows all the signs of a recent or imminent bankruptcy, where they fired half their staff. The service, at all levels, was appalling bad. Nobody cared! I travel a few times per month and I haven't experienced such bad service in years. I found very heavily discounted room rates from Expedia and reserved two rooms for two nights.

Room:

The rooms were nicely furnished and the beds were quite comfortable. However, we slept terribly.

1) The heater was broken and never went below 73 degrees (when set to 68 degrees). The front desk suggested we run the AC.

2) The sheets in both rooms pulled off the bed during the night - both nights.

3) The water in both rooms tasted foul.

4) When we checked in, one of the rooms (320) had a musty smell and we found mold in the bathroom.

Staff:

1) I emailed the hotel the day before we checked in requesting two nearby rooms and a spa menu. They never replied.

2) Check-in took 30 minutes - after a four hour drive with two children. The front desk staff claimed they could not find one of our Expedia reservations. They finally found it, and then claimed that we did not pay for an upgraded room. When I showed them my Expedia receipt with upgraded room, they ignored it, insisted in giving me a regular room, and told me to call Expedia in the morning.

3) When I checked out and complained about this, the front desk staff told me that did discover that I payed for an upgraded room. They did not apologize, and again old me to call Expedia. The front desk manager reminded me much more of a club bouncer/thug than a senior hotel employee. He made it very clear to us that he could not care less about our problems.

4) The valets misplaced our car keys, twice. At $19 per day!

700 Restaurant: We had one dinner and two breakfasts at the hotel restaurant, mostly because the hotel is isolated, and a very long walk from the Savannah action. The restaurant is pretty and romantic. The food was very generic. However, the service was also amazing bad. AVOID!

• Disliked — Service
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank Soccer D
Asheville, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2008

Our stay at this hotel was part of an anniversary gift from our family. We were there for three days and enjoyed every minute. My husband has traveled extensively over the years and says this room was the best one he's ever stayed at and I completely concur. The beds were the most comfortable I've ever experienced and the room was decorated in a very tasteful fashion. I had a cold and found the oval-shaped soaking bathtub wonderful for an Epsom salts de-tox. There are doors next to the tub that can be opened to watch TV (and a shelf on which to place a glass of wine).
We had a wonderful, relaxing dinner at the upscale 700 Drayton our first night and breakfast there was delicious also. The staff at the restaurant was attentive and the atmosphere was elegant.
We have nothing but great things to say about the hotel staff-----I do not understand some of the other comments. They couldn't have been nicer and were friendly and very helpful. They even re-charged my MP-3 player for me! The driver for the town car was very courteous and we were picked up in only 5 minutes from our riverfront restaurant.
A very satisfying experience

• Liked — The lovely room ---comfortable beds, atmosphere, etc.
  • Disliked — N/A
1 Thank Asheville39
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2008

We had a long, very nice weekend at the Mansion. We arrived late at night and were given very prompt service, including a complete change of bedding from down to hypoallergenic bedding, and our luggage was delivered almost instantly. We enjoyed eating at 700 Drayton for breakfast everyday, and our best time of all was the cooking class we took with Darin Sebert (Low-Stress Thanksgiving). The class was a lot of fun, we got to learn a lot of new techniques, and we dined on the food we had prepared. This was well worth the trip!

The Mansion is within walking distance of historic Savannah, and we walked down to the river and back. It is also within walking distance of many other attractions, such as the Mercer Williams House and Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House.

Our room overlookd the pool and was quite comfortable. It could have used more light, but I find this true of almost every hotel.

All in all, a great vacation, and we will certainly return for more cooking classes!

• Liked — Service, comfortable gbeds, cooking school class
  • Disliked — Lack of lighting in the room. We are readers and prefer more light near beds.
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2008

My boyfiend and I were really looking forward to staying at the Mansion, but we were very disappointed with just about everything. The front desk personnel is very rude and unfriendly. We had a problem with our bed on night one and our request for help was 100% ignored. We decided to leave after 3 nights of unsatisfactory service and they charged us for leaving one day early. We had to call the head office to get our money back for the night we did not stay. The only friendly people are the valet guys. They were good, but the rest of the staff is obviously very unhappy with their work place and will take it out on the guests. The last night we went to the Riverside Inn and had a great time. We were so glad we left the Mansion and found a friendly, fun hotel by the river. Stay away the Mansion, they do not want your business.

• Liked — the room was okay
  • Disliked — the bed. The mattress cover kept popping off and we woke up several times on bare matress
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jenglen
Gainesville, FL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2008

The pleasant parts of our stay were overshadowed by the blatant lack of customer service shown to guests by the front desk staff. My boyfriend and I were planning a romantic trip to Savannah. We specifically called the hotel directly to request a tub in our room, and were given the option of whirlpool or soaking. We chose the whirlpool tub. Upon arrival however, we realized that our room had neither, only a shower. We immediately returned to the front desk to correct the problem. They informed us that the "Premium King" room did not have an option for a whirlpool tub. With no apology and very few words to us, they changed our room number to one with a soaking tub.
On our last morning, looking at our bill, I realized we had been charged for minibar items we did not consume as well as valet service we didn't use. The person at the front desk (different than the one who checked us in) looked bothered by my request that the bill be changed. Also, in this case, not a single apology was given to me for my trouble and their mistake.
The hotel and room was beautiful, but the linens and towels are far from 5 star quality.
The valets were very helpful and the maid staff was also very courteous.
We plan on returning to Savannah at some point, but will not be staying at this hotel.

• Liked — Large bathroom and bed
  • Disliked — Front desk staff
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple