“Service with a smile!”

Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection
Ranked #25 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
“Service with a smile!”
Reviewed 23 February 2009

A very enjoyable weekend was had by my husband, parents, and me to celebrate my mother's birthday. The staff was really incredible - gracious, accomodating, unfailing polite, and provided excellent service with a smile.
Thank you to Sari McAfee and the other woman concierge (sorry I do not have your name) who assisted us in many ways, to Lionel at the front desk, who was kindness personified, the bellhops, doormen, & valet attendents (although we did not avail ourselves of this service, but chose to street park), the kind man who delivered a mini fridge to our room at 11 pm, the cleaning staff, the pleasant bartenders at Casmir's Lounge - you are all to be commended for your professionalism. The staff even located a small round table and extra chairs for my parents so we could play Mahjong in their room!
We found on excellent rate on Travel Zoo back in November or December which also included the resort fee, so our accomodations were very reasonably priced & the Mansion is quite magnficent - the artwork is mesmerizing! The bathrooms are sleek & modern looking with a glass door fronting the toilet area. Be careful opening & closing the door; on one dark, nighttime visit, I opened the door over my toe - ouch!
The room was luxurious with the most comfortable bed, complimentary bottled water, and lovely toiletries (Gilchrist & Soames). Some of the other guests were a bit noisy on Friday night (loud music & I think some people returning from a haunted pub tour!), but the next night was very quiet.
We were never able to use the spa (tried to make a reservation too late & they were booked) & we intended to use the fitness room, but we ran out of time (we walked a lot though). Casmir's Lounge was a nice place to have a quick bite when we checked in & for a before dinner drink; we intended to go back for the jazz on Friday/Saturday, but did something else came up. We never tried the restaurant, but saw people who had been there for dinner who'd enjoyed it.
We did have a lovely meal at Local 11 Ten which we walked to from the hotel (~5-8 minutes) and an incredible meal at Noble Fare (used the Town Car service provided by the hotel). We walked to the Firefly Cafe (charming) for breakfast one day and walked a couple of minutes to Sentinent Bean for breakfast the day we checked out (great coffee and baked goods). We did a tour with Explore Savannah (wonderful!) & walked all over Savannah - toured the Owens-Thomas house & the Telfair Academy & "forced ourselves" to have ice-cream at Leopold's! Great trip!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank mouseRD

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Arabic first
Juno Beach, FL
Reviewed 23 February 2009

Beware bathrooms,no privacy, slippery floor, no place to hang towels. Just poorly designed. Parking $20 a day and not well organized town car service. However, the best hotel bed I ever slept in.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
md
Reviewed 19 February 2009

I liked this hotel. I would compare it to a nice marriot, not quite a ritz carlton or a four seasons.
I was not happy with the location. the hotel sits on a main road, dreyton st. and there is a lot of traffic. so well into the night if your room backs up to the main road you will hear the swishing sounds of cars going by.
also, the area in not walking distance from the main area,( near the river )and I did not really feel safe walking around the immediate area at night

what I loved about the hotel was the art work, simply beautiful, so on my next visit to savannah I think I will stay in one of the beautiful b and bs and then visit this hotel for an hour to look at its art

also, keep in mind this place is expensive. parking is an extra $19 and then there are the resort fees for who knows what.

if you are staying with kids, pick the hyatt. location right in the main area and if your alone with your spouce, try one of the many b and bs.
but if you are a business traveler on an expense account, this may be the place for your

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Aiken, South Carolina
Reviewed 15 February 2009

Definately a place for a romantic getaway! The room was beautiful! Booked it through travelzoo at a great deal. Loved the big tub and the candle light imitation lights on a dimmer so you could really relax in the tub. Loved the Bose sound system and the Kessler collection CD it was playing upon arrival. I played it all weekend long! Great for relaxing
The bed was great! The hotel is beautiful. Can't wait to stay there in the summer time and enjoy the pool. They had the Kessler hat collection on display with hats all the way back to the early 1800's if I can recall. Very beautiful and interesting.
The fridge did not work in the room. We called the front desk and in no time did they bring another one for us to use. We had bought some things at the nearby kroger that we wanted to keep cold.
You can park on the street on the side of the hotel or use the valet. We did both. park on the street during the day when we were coming and going, and did valet at the end of the day. They have a business center with free internet access and 2 PC's to use.
Even though there is construction going on at the park, the hotel is located in a beautiful area, great for strolling around away from the touristy river street.
We ate dinner at the restaurant (700 Drayton) which was expensive as expected, but I don't think it was worth it. The food was good but not as exceptional as I expected. The restaurant was almost deserted. Kind of wish we would have went to Noble fair. We will try that next time.

• Liked — Luxurious room
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Nickymjw1
Atlanta
Reviewed 9 February 2009

We just spent 2 nights at The Mansion - it was wonderful. Check in was very quick and easy. They offered valet parking at no charge, there was a $12 resort fee but that was worth it for the use of the town car alone (will take you anywhere and collect you). Every member of staff was polite and friendly. The rooms were great and clean. Stunning. The restaurant and bars were fantastic - the food was excellent especially the appetizers at 700 Drayton...out of this world low country boil soup, scallops and salads. The steaks were good too with very nice sides. It was too cool to use the pool area but it was beautiful. It was about a mile, maybe a mile and a half to the river front, but the walk was fantastic -through many little parks/squares - real Savannah! It was opposite Forsyth park which is wonderful too.
We did get a great rate on price line but I would have been happy had I paid full price. A wonderful hotel that I would be happy to go back to.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Westerville, Ohio
Reviewed 27 January 2009

My husband and I took a long weekend to Savannah Jan 23-26,2009. We booked our hotel (Mansion at Forsyth Park) with Priceline.com and won with a bid of $62 per night plus taxes. This is an amazing place and we were astounded to have been able to stay at this location for such a good deal. We would highly recommend this to any couple (Not appropriate for families). A few things that I feel are important to point out....no hair dryers in the room!! Also, by booking with Priceline.com all the taxes and fees for the room are included. Upon checking out, the hotel was trying to charge us "resort taxes" (total of $38) to cover the use of the fitness center, newspaper, towncar and in room coffee. We hadn't used any of these services and and reverified with Priceline that all taxes were included.. I brought this up to the front desk attendant and they tried to make it sound like that is their own tax...don't go for it; they were just trying to get more $$ from us and she removed the charges from the bill. Also, they only offer valet parking in their back parking lot for $19 per night. Totally not necessary. There was plenty of off-street, free, safe parking. I'd also like to point out that although the location is at the very southern end of the historic district the walk into the heart of it all is not bad at all. My husband and I were able to get anywhere we needed to go in no time at all. You shouldn't let the location detract you from staying here.

Orlando
Reviewed 26 January 2009

Excellent Hotel with Execellent Staff. We were very fortunate to get a great rate on Travelzoo. The conceirge helped us plan our trip before we even arrived. We had a great experience at the 700 Club Cooking School and a fabulous time all around. A great Five Star experience. We would love to come back when the weather is a little warmer!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple