“Cool decor, poor value”

Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection
Ranked #22 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed 6 May 2009

My wife and I stayed here for three nights for a business conference. The hotel is plastered with paintings from the attached galleries, so it has a unique look. But at this price point I have high expectations, which Mansion did not come close to meeting. Our room was comfortable but small, scheduled private events meant we could not use the (very nice) courtyard two different days, and charging a $12 resort fee when you are not a resort is absurd. We didn't even have anyone ask how our stay was as we checked out. We will stay elsewhere during our next trip to Savannah.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank bsjones
Write a ReviewReviews (1,822)

Reviewed 20 April 2009

Stayed there just on night - interesting decor in the rooms and common areas, very comfortabe beds and loved the rain showers in the bathroom. In a good location with a large park across the street and within walking ditance of the waterfront.
Had a wonderful dinner at their restaurant where the service was excellent as well as the food.
Only downside is that the front desk people were not very friendly.

Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravellingSusan
Reviewed 19 April 2009

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights recently and were very excited about the hotel. It looked great online, the reviews were overall good, and with the deal we got on the room, we were really looking forward to it.

Overall, the building is stunning....the lobby, art gallery, spa and restaurant are all absolutely beautiful. I am pregnant and had a great massage at the spa and we also had a wonderful meal at the restaurant. Location didn't bother us either....we were right by the park and a nice walk to River street.

BUT, the rooms were form over function at best. Definitely NOT 5 star, and we didn't find the customer service or the overall cleanliness good at all. The room has a very stale smell and there were absolutely no hooks or racks (aside form the one behind the tub) for towels or robes. The first day we were out all day and I had a spa appt at 5.....we got back to our room at 4 and it hadn't been cleaned. We asked the staff in the hallway to please clean at 5 and were told by the lady that she was heading home so she had to do it now if we wanted it. Not a huge deal, we just went to pool and didn't make a fuss. We came back in later with about 30 minutes for a quick shower before our dinner reservations and realized they had not left a single towel. It took them 15 minutes to bring some up and we had to move our dinner back.

Once we went to bed that night something just didn't hit me right and I wondered if they had actually changed the sheets on the bed. They were on inside out and like the night before, were too small for the mattress and popped off the corners when we slept. So the next am before we left for the day I put a dot of my eyeshadow on the corner as a test. Sure enough, we came back to a 'clean' room with my eyeshadow still on the sheets! They came up and changed them for us right away, but that's simply NOT ok. What else are they not cleaning or changing?!

We would go back to the hotel for a meal or drink, but not to stay.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lalatark
Reviewed 12 April 2009

I come to Savannah twice a year and the Mansions my favorite place to stay. It is elegant, quiet and sophisticated, a nice change from many of the hotels closer to the riverfront and downtown area, yet close enough to everything. The rooms are stunning, a beautiful mix of modern and classical style. This is the PERFECT place to stay for couples or a romantic getaway...but it is also comfortable for a family. The living space has an open feel, many of the rooms just have curtains between the sleeping area and bathroom....so if privacy is an issue...be sure to request a room with the dividing walls you can close. The restaurant is top notch..never have we been dissapointed and the decor is absolutely amazing. It may be on the high end cost wise to stay here, but they do run specials through travelzoo and we were able to get a great price on our visit. I have found the staff to be very friendly and helpful every time I've stayed here, which is at least 6 times. I took the cooking class this visit and enjoyed it very much...I will do it again!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank daremywildheart
Reviewed 11 April 2009

It's a great looking hotel - elegant with lovely rooms and an excellent restaurant that you unfortunately have to go outside to get to (although they show you a back way in a hard rain). I found the hotel staff only adequate. They weren't helpful in answering questions or assisting in any but the required duties. We had a room overlooking the inside courtyard and they were always having special events there so unless you wanted lots of people looking into your room, you had to keep the drapes closed. A lovely ambiance overlooking Forsyth Park, though quite a walk to the river front. We walked it several times, though, and they have a town car that will take you and pick you up anywhere in the historic area.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Murfee
Reviewed 6 April 2009

This was our second time at the Mansion, and we enjoyed it even more than the first. Seldom does a hotel warrant taking pictures to show your friends, but the Mansion clearly does. Each hallway is a veritable art gallery and the rooms are spacious, strikingly attractive and comfortable. The staff was unfailingly pleasant, helpful and professional. Yes, there are a few minor eccentricities, like the lack of a hook to hang their luxurious bath robes, and maids who do not replenish toiletries daily (the containers are large enough to last several days.) But the overall experience was great.

Some might prefer to stay in the more touristy downtown "historic district," but we found the Mansion's setting far less frantic, and its proximity to lovely Forsyth park was most pleasant. There is a stop at the corner where you can board the tourist trolleys that will take you all around the historic district, and, of course, the hotel offers free transportation in the general area with prior reservations.

We did not try the 700 Drayton restaurant because of mixed reviews and a very pricey menu. Savannah has so many good restaurants, most with far more moderate prices, that we ate elsewhere. We always have lunch at Mrs Wilkes Dining Room, perhaps the best Southern cooking anywhere, which is about a 10 minute walk through the park from the Mansion. We also had a great breakfast at B Matthews on East Bay street. Based on positive reviews, we also had dinner at Uncle Bubba's and found it to have pretty average seafood and rather unprofessional service. We fear the Paula Dean association accounts more for its popularity than the quality of its food or dining experience.

We were fortunate to find an excellent rate on Travelzoo, which also forgave the "resort fee" and cut the valet parking fee in half. The "resort fee" really does seem ridiculous in that the Mansion is definitely not a resort. At the rate we paid, we felt that we received more than a great value.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GH-Dallas
Reviewed 5 April 2009

I stayed here as it was the best rated hotel in Savannah. I was in town for business and stayed for 3 nights. I didn't eat at the hotel, so I can't rate the food. The lobby was very nice, the outdoor square was great, though it was too cold to spend any time out there. They had nice, interesting art work throughout the hallways which made the place nicer than most. The room was large with great amenities and character.

My only two issues with the hotel was the location and the hours of the bars. It is at the bottom of the city and not close to the riverwalk or most of the places to go. However, Savannah isn't big, so it is within a mile walking of anywhere you'd want to go. The bars all closed before I got home every night, and it would've been nice to have had a nightcap.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business