“Friendly Staff, Beautiful Room, Interesting Art”

Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection
Ranked #26 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Kannapolis, North Carolina
“Friendly Staff, Beautiful Room, Interesting Art”
Reviewed 10 July 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Mansion on Forsyth Park June 22 - 24 because he was taking a cooking class at the restaurant on site. The class started at 2:00 and check-in was not until 4:00. The front desk manager was extremely accommodating. He gave us an upgrade on our room therefore getting us settled in by 1:30. We had a Bohemian room with an "open air" bathroom. This means - no walls. There are curtains instead with a large soaking tub in the middle of the floor. The downside is the water closet is glass - so, if you want privacy there you must pull the curtains. But, this was a small inconvenience. The decor was fun - there was even an electric candleabra on the desk!

Previous Trip Advisor reviews mention the fitted bottom sheet popping off the corners of the bed. This also happened to us and was quite annoying! I reported this to the general manager the following morning. He said they had new sheets that fit the beds now and would have ours changed out. About 6:00 pm someone from housekeeping came and put the correct size sheet on - the problem was solved. So, you have to notify the staff if the sheets are not staying in place.

I must say that the entire staff was courteous, helpful, and friendly during our entire stay. We were missing washcloths when we checked in. I found a lady from housekeeping in the hall and she gave me the washcloths even though she said our room was not one of hers.

You need to be aware that the $12.00 resort fee does not cover valet parking. We made the mistake of not printing off our confirmation prior to leaving home for Savannah. When we arrived, the valet asked if we would like our car parked. We had already checked out the parking situation surrounding the hotel and decided valet would be the safest way to go. We were not told of the $19.00 per day valet parking charge. Neither are there signs stating the charge. Our assumption at that point was that it was covered with the fee. So, we were quite surprised when we received our bill.

Bottom line - We enjoyed our stay but will not stay here again. The $12.00 "resort fee" seems a bit much because this is not a resort. And, the valet parking charge is not communicated upon check-in. The issue with the "non-fitting" fitted sheet was resolved only because I voiced a concern. This is a AAA four diamond hotel so seems that management would get rid of all sheets that do not fit to eliminate any complaints.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Arabic first
Houston
Reviewed 6 July 2009

I just stayed at "The Mansion" for a family members wedding. The Hotel is in an excellent location to the Historic Area, the Riverfront and the party area of Congress street. If you are a runner, the park is across the street and a mile around, so it is a perfect location for those training. The staff is very friendly. The room are decorated haute couture shabby chique with plenty of space. My one complaint of the room was that they do not vacuum. There were hairs all over the floor. In fact, one of the other guests complained of hairs in their bed after it had been made. The bar in the Casimir’s Lounge is excellent and makes some of the best pomengranate and chocolate martinis in the area. However, if you plan to eat there, be wary. The service is slow and they got most of orders wrong and we had to send the food back several times. I would stay there again but plan to eat elsewhere, as Savannah has many wonderful restaurants.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank kimborkr
boston
Reviewed 30 June 2009

Quirky and fun. Luxurious rooms with an attentive staff.

If you like everything the same; rooms, decor etc. the Mansion
will not fit your bill.

Also, with all the the fine restaurants in Savannah, don't overlook the
Mansion dining room. My wife and I had one of the best meals of our
vacation there.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed 30 June 2009

I recently spent five days at the Mansion at Forsyth. I traveled there with my mother. We had a great time.

The hotel is distinctive in its style. The decor was eclectic. The hotel room was a decent size. Much has been said in previous reviews about the beds. They are very comfortable. I did not experience the noise from traffic that some reviewers reported. I elected to stay in a room that did not front on Drayton Street. That might have made the difference.

The hotel staff were very knowlegeable about things to do and places to visit in Savannah. They were helpful, courteous, and always pleasant from check-in to check out. Each "thank you" that I uttered after receiving a service from any of the staff was greeted with the response, "My pleasure."

The hotel offers a car to its guests for transport to places within the Historic District. I used the hotel car a few times to go to the riverfront, to Savannah's Visitors Center and to restaurants for dinner. The car was always available. Pick ups were prompt.

The restaurant, 700 Drayton, served good food. The servers were quick and efficient. Most were friendly. I particularly enjoyed Tujuana, one of the servers in the restaurant. She was a delight. She went the extra mile to ensure that our dining experience was a pleasant one.

The hotel was ideally located. Forsyth Park which is across the street from the hotel is lovely. We enjoyed our walks in Forsyth Park after breakfast each morning. The hotel is also within walking distance to several lovely squares and points of historic interest. The surrounding homes and office buildings with their unique architecture are a photographer's delight.

I would recommend the Sapphire Grill as an off-site dining alternative. I had a great dinner there my last night in Savannah. The ambience was intimate. The meal was excellent. The staff were very friendly and gracious.

It was "my pleasure" to stay at the Mansion at Forsyth. I would stay there again if I make a return trip to Savannah and would recommend the hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed June 2009
3 Thank YouLuz
Orange County, California
Reviewed 24 June 2009

I would definitely stay at this hotel again. It was beautiful and the service at the hotel was fabulous. The rooms were clean. The hotel ambience was sexy, artsy, creative, unique, hip and cool.

The food at 700 Drayton was really good but the service was annoying. The waitresses had bad attitudes. But the decor was amazing with orange crystal chandeliers and pictures of cheetahs in orange and black, very dramatic. Too bad the service was bad, because everything else was wonderful.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
New York New York
Reviewed 23 June 2009

What a place! The beds were comfy, art everywhere- (and my fave kind- 80's brightly colored, thickly schmeared canvases!)great breakfast that was well priced. Nice little pool, terrific design through out the hotel carried out here, too. Nice staff, helpful. I would go back again and again. A great town, very artistic and architecturally significant. I can't believe all those blah chains ranked over this fine hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Central Florida, Florida
Reviewed 22 June 2009

Super nice hotel, large clean well-appointed room and bathroom. Friendly staff. Good location on edge of historic district. It's a bit of a walk to the riverfront, but we preferred to walk rather than try to find parking in the popular riverfront area.
We found a great rate on the hotel through travelzoo.com, and it was well worth it.

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple