“Fantastic Hotel”

Ranked #26 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
london
“Fantastic Hotel”
Reviewed 20 August 2009

Very much an upscale boutique hotel with modern artworks covering the walls throughout.Beautiful decor and drapes all over.Lobby opens onto courtyard area that contains a small designer pool doric columns and elegant seating..all a bit Las Vegas but very tasteful.The hotel's restaurant is in the original manor house and directly linked to the hotel.It is a fantastic two story,multi roomed building full of art and wonderfull furnishings.There is a very smart cocktail bar on the top floor and a champagne bar on the ground floor.Hotel accomodation was interior designed and very elegant.Service was faultless.Hotel is less than a mile walk to City hall and the historic district but you can use the "on call" free hotel shuttle to get in and out of town if u don't fancy the walk.August in savannah is pretty hot and steamy so we got our rooms for a fraction of their peak season prices.Fantastic value but I guess even paying top rate in peak season this would still be worth the money

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank mimramtrout

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Arabic first
phoenix
Reviewed 13 August 2009

I booked this hotel through a travelzoo special. Not only was the service beyond what I expected but the hotel was beautiful. Some of the reviews I read were not favorable and they were proven wrong. The beds were so comfortable and the shower pressure was just right.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank profylerz
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 2 August 2009

This is a really beautiful hotel with so much potential but it's such a shame that its ruined by poor service. Examples:

- We arrived in the middle of a downpour. The valet came out to the car with an umbrella for my wife (there is no covered area for loading and unloading but that's due to the historic building).. BUT they didn't offer to get my bags out of the car so I wound up unpacking the car in the rain. Then they didn't offer a dolley to take the bags up to the room

- When we asked for a late checkout, we were told "call in the morning to check and maybe you can have one" - not exactly stellar customer service especially since we wanted a late checkout so we could give them more $ by having brunch at their restaurant.

- The minibar had no bottled water in it, so we asked for a bottle at the front desk (there were two of us) and they gave us one bottle. not a big deal, but you'd think they'd give us more than one.

- car service is worthless. They tell you to make a reservation, which we did, but then the shuttle was 15 minutes late to take us to dinner and made us late for our reservation. They say to give them 15 minutes notice before you need a ride home. When we called for a pickup to come back, we were told 45 minutes because we're busy. The restaurant said they've had people wait 45 minutes regularly for the mansion to pick them up. This is ridiculous. if you're going to be that overloaded, get a second car or contract with a car service, especially since they charge for it in the "resort fee"

- The attached restaurant was nice and the food was good but the service was a bit off there too.

Overall, this place is missing some basic common sense service know how that would make the experience good but when missing make it annoying, especially when the staff makes a point to say "my pleasure" whle not accomplishing what you want.

3 Thank bluedevilnj
jacksonville
Reviewed 30 July 2009

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary last month. We really enjoy staying in nice hotels and we never cheap out. Because of that it usually takes a lot to impress us. This hotel was definitely impressive. The staff was friendly and the hotel was beautiful. There were so many little details and things to look at. The hotel room was beautiful and spacious. We had a large garden tub and a separate shower. The pool was very small, but very elegant. Everything was over the top, artsy and classy. The perfect hotel for a romantic getaway.

FYI-there is construction going on directly across the street in Forsyth park. I would recommend saving your money if you are thinking about paying extra for a park view, because you will be disappointed.

3 Thank jana_kruger
pdemetree
Reviewed 28 July 2009

My wife and I spent our anniversary weekend here recently. We had a great time. The hotel was perfect, the staff was friendly and very helpful, and the spa we awesome. One really nice feature was that they had a car and van that would take us to dinner, etc. It was very convenient.

1 Thank pdemetree
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 14 July 2009

I usually ONLY stay at Marriott's because no matter what part of the globe you go Marriott's ALWAYS have the same standards in their hotels.

So I was a little hesitant to stay at this hotel. But I was there for a wedding and that's where the rest of the wedding party was staying so I caved in. I was also skeptical of the price $149 for the wedding discount which was usually $198. For that price I want to know EXACTLY what I'm getting. I have NO problem paying $198 in a heart beat for a Marriott room because I KNOW what I'm getting.

Anyway I looked at the website and of course they had the most glossy, brochure air brushed pictures you could imagine and that scared me even more!!! I thought to myself "What am I getting into, nothing looks THIS nice in real life."

I went ahead and paid my deposit and crossed my fingers. I quickly received a confirmation email encouraging me to sign up for cooking classes, tours, and spa experiences and I still wasn't buying it and didn't sign up for anything.

I'm usually the optimist in my family but I was still stuck on my Marriott loyalty and wasn't willing to budge until we got there.

WELL!!! When we finally pulled up I was a gasp!!! The Forysth park adjacent to the hotel had a HUGE chain linked fence around it, making it look more like a combat zone. The valet parking drop off area was soo tiny we drove past it the first time and we were forced to drive around the block, and as we did drive around THAT block I IMMEDIATELY clicked the lock button on my car as I saw a man strolling down the street in a "wife beater" tshirt drinking out a big brown paper bag.

All I could think to myself was WHAT HAD I DONE!!! We quickly drove around the block, all the while my husband laughing at me, and finally made it to the valet parking drop off, where they announced valet parking would be $20 a day!!!

Well after seeing that man barely dressed drinking out a brown paper bag I was MORE than willing to have them park my car for $20 a day!!!

I know what you're thinking....how was this ONE of the BEST hotels you've stayed at....

Well from the minute, I finally got out the car until I checked out of the hotel, a few days later we were waited on hand and foot. The hotel staff were by far the most courteous staff I've encountered in a long time. They were extremely accommodating, helpful, professional and cheerful.

We had the Premium King room I believe and the room was, may I say, "opulent" and I loved every minute of it. Others have described it as shabby chic, I prefer opulent. I loved everything about the room, the color of the walls, the choice of decor, knobs on the armoire, the shabby chic curtains and matching lounge chair, I loved the mixture of white head board and dark room furniture, the glass shower doors, mini chandeliers and my greatest love was the barnyard style doors over the bathroom tub that allowed you to look out to the bedroom.

Another person reviewed the barnyard doors in the bathroom as a lack of privacy, I thought it was a novel and eclectic touch that was a well appreciated touch of style. Plus I have a 3 year old so I was able to put her to sleep and slip into the tub with my husband all the while being able to keep a watchful eye.

However, I really didn't need to keep a watchful eye as the quaint intimate swimming pool wore her out and that coupled with the bed kept her asleep all night.

Back to that bed....My husband described it as (and please don't take offense here) if he could imagine what it would FEEL like when god says "come to me my son it's time to go meet your maker"....how euphoric that MIGHT feel...THAT'S HOW SLEEPING IN THIS BED FELT!!!! As we were getting ready to leave he actually pulled up the sheets to check out what kind of mattress it was and found out it was a "Simmons Beautyrest pillowtop mattress". I think I might have to buy one for Christmas and put the Sealy Posturepedic Memory Foam Mattress in the guest room!

We did not eat at any of the restaurants so I can't review the service or quality of the meals. We ate a local place called Smokin Ribs or something like that...but it's fine forgot the name of the place as they ran out of ribs anyway...."How can a rib place run out of ribs?"

I also didn't have time to sign up for a spa experience which I was very disappointed about after I'd fallen in love with the hotel. But I did get to wonder the limited grounds of the hotel and especially get to take in the art gallery and I found the entire place well thought out and a master of decor.

I later found out after driving around the block once more, that across the street is an old people home and that's why I encountered the older gentleman poorly dressed and nursing the BIG brown paper bag.

I must say though that while the hotel was beautiful the surrounding areas are possibly in the middle of gentrification and while this is a sad turn of events once it is done the surrounding areas will be just a appealing as the inner comforts of the hotel itself. But until then just enjoy all that the hotel has to offer INSIDE!!!

But I do wish the gentrification did NOT have displace the poorer people of the neighborhood as it's their hands that made Savannah what it is today.

Oh before I forget don't forget to check out the fountain in Forsyth park across the street if you dare!!! The fountain was actually bought out of a "Sears and Roebuck" catalog so I was told!!! I also wanted to find out why the trees in the neighborhood that were used to hang slaves no longer bore willows while all the other trees had magnificent willows draping from each limb. But I'll hopefully/sadly find that out during our next visit...YES I WILL BE BACK it was worth every Triple A Four Diamond penny!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Mel C
Kannapolis, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 July 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Mansion on Forsyth Park June 22 - 24 because he was taking a cooking class at the restaurant on site. The class started at 2:00 and check-in was not until 4:00. The front desk manager was extremely accommodating. He gave us an upgrade on our room therefore getting us settled in by 1:30. We had a Bohemian room with an "open air" bathroom. This means - no walls. There are curtains instead with a large soaking tub in the middle of the floor. The downside is the water closet is glass - so, if you want privacy there you must pull the curtains. But, this was a small inconvenience. The decor was fun - there was even an electric candleabra on the desk!

Previous Trip Advisor reviews mention the fitted bottom sheet popping off the corners of the bed. This also happened to us and was quite annoying! I reported this to the general manager the following morning. He said they had new sheets that fit the beds now and would have ours changed out. About 6:00 pm someone from housekeeping came and put the correct size sheet on - the problem was solved. So, you have to notify the staff if the sheets are not staying in place.

I must say that the entire staff was courteous, helpful, and friendly during our entire stay. We were missing washcloths when we checked in. I found a lady from housekeeping in the hall and she gave me the washcloths even though she said our room was not one of hers.

You need to be aware that the $12.00 resort fee does not cover valet parking. We made the mistake of not printing off our confirmation prior to leaving home for Savannah. When we arrived, the valet asked if we would like our car parked. We had already checked out the parking situation surrounding the hotel and decided valet would be the safest way to go. We were not told of the $19.00 per day valet parking charge. Neither are there signs stating the charge. Our assumption at that point was that it was covered with the fee. So, we were quite surprised when we received our bill.

Bottom line - We enjoyed our stay but will not stay here again. The $12.00 "resort fee" seems a bit much because this is not a resort. And, the valet parking charge is not communicated upon check-in. The issue with the "non-fitting" fitted sheet was resolved only because I voiced a concern. This is a AAA four diamond hotel so seems that management would get rid of all sheets that do not fit to eliminate any complaints.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple