“Beautiful Hotel- excellent service”

Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection
Ranked #25 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed 21 August 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in June. The staff was excellent. They went out of their way to be helpful and remember our names. We could walk to many attractions from this hotel. We also did the trolley tours on our first day in town to learn our way around. The decor in the hotel and our room was glamorous! I will definitely go back!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Mansion on Forsyth Park, Autograph Collection

Reviewed 19 August 2010

We recently stayed for several nights for a family reunion. After extensive consideration, we chose this as it appeared conveniently located and luxurious. It was neither...it is a mile stroll to decent shopping, dining, etc which would not be bad if you are there when it's not constantly raining and hot. The rooms were musty, moldy in areas, had several non-repaired/maintained aspects. Cleanliness average--I don't ever want to see spots on or near a bed, and the lobby areas should look crisp and clean and smell so. They were sorely understaffed--which the staff complained about--had planned over 5 weddings for one Satruday, needless to say other guests were not a priority. I'd opt for elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2010

So the Mansion on Forsyth Park is a nice place, if you can put up with being mistreated, told you are wrong and don't need air conditioning. I was travelling with a group of folks as we made our way up to Hilton Head, SC for a golf outing. We had booked 4 rooms with 2 beds each so that we could share rooms. When we arrived, we were told there weren't any double rooms left. When I made the reservations we specifically asked for rooms with 2 beds and we're told they were confirmed. When we arrived and mentioned this to the folks at check-in they told us that that type of room couldn't be guaranteed and that was 'policy'. Well this 'policy' should have been told to us so we were aware. We needed rooms so we all ended up having to get our own rooms, so it cost us twice as much as we had planned. To make matters worse, my room had no A/C and this was in August in Savannah, GA so it was very warm. They said they could send someone up at 'some point'...but couldn't guarantee me as to when and there apparently were no other rooms I could switch to. I waited for a while, but after 2 hours I needed to get to bed so I just told them to forget it. When I checked out the following morning, I looked for some relief on bill. They wanted to charge me the full rate. When I asked for some relief, they ended up taking $50 off. Might be nice if I only paid $50, but since I paid about $189, that wasn't much of deal for having to suffer through a hot night. They said they were sorry they couldn't do better and hoped I'd come back. That won't be happening....

P.S. the Location isn't very good. It's a long way from all the action in downtown Savannah. You'll need a cab if you don't want to take a long walk in the heat. It's about 2 miles away, so plan ahead.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank CraigFTW
Reviewed 13 August 2010

My friend and I loved the Mansion on Forsyth. It is close enough to walk to all of the historic sites, yet removed enough to be out of the noise & chaos of the riverfront. Of course having the 700 Cooking School facility a few steps away was a bonus, as we attended a couple of Chef Darin's classes. Our room was quite lovely. The hotel's pool, while small, was actually refreshing after walking several miles in Historic Savannah. The hotel is on a wonderful park, perfect for morning strolls under its great oaks.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2010

The pictures on the hotel's website do not do it justice! Usually when you look at the pictures online, the place never looks that good! But not here! The Mansion on Forsyth Park definitely makes my top 2 best hotels ever!!!! Anyone who says that this place isn't nice is either stupid or crazy! My husband and I LOVED our stay here for our 1 year anniversary. If staying in Savannah- this hotel is a must! I loved the decor so much that we want to recreate the room in our bedroom! The bed was soooo comfortable! The hotel is a short walk to anywhere downtown. We also loved the pool- gorgeous!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2010

Mansion on Forsyth Park is located near beautiful Forsyth Park in Savannah in the Historic district. It is a very romantic part of the city. The hotel is very historic looking- older American style. It is done well, very classy and well kept. You will feel pampered. The staff is very friendly, and you really get the southern Hospitality. The room was big, and well kept. My wife kept commenting on how good it smelled. It was a very relaxing stay. If you like American history, and enjoy the look of old American homes/architecture, you will love Savannah and you will love this place

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2010

We have NEVER stayed in a five-star hotel but decided to splurge for one night in Savannah. The valet and porter were very friendly, the person at the desk rather cool and stand-offish. Walking down the halls was creepy...lots of weird acrylic paintings, very gaudy and even unsettling. At first impression we were delighted with the room...deep soaking tub with doors that opened to the bedroom, along with a separate shower, a Keurig coffee-maker and view to the lovely pool and waterfall courtyard. But on closer inspection, there was a sticky coffee or soda stain on the rug and the top of the mirrored end table was cracked and broken. When I tried to use the coffee maker it shot boiling water out at me like a water pistol!
The service person did come up shortly after we called to replace the coffee machine and we appreciated the kind attention she gave to us.
We visited the wine bar/bistro in the other wing of the building (we had to go outside and through a courtyard to get to it) and the service there was also attentive and lovely. But there was no music and again, it just felt kind of cold and creepy. Drinks were VERY expensive there.
The hotel is located across the street from Forsyth Park, which is quite lovely but also rather removed from attractions and activities. The hotel was quiet and we did get a good night's sleep, but we were glad we had a car!
Overall, the Mansion hotel was not worth the money we spent. For a lesser amount we could have chosen one of the smaller, historic bed and breakfasts in Savannah for a true sense of this beautiful city.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple