“Fresh Oysters”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We stopped here at the river st. location for dinner. Started out with 2 dozen of raw oysters. They were fresh and with the four of us they didn't last long. I had their seafood platter and couldn't eat it all. We all had good food and service,and would eat here again.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Me and some friends of mine stopped in For their Oyster and beer special. I think it was $20 for bucket of oysters and a pitcher of beer. Needless to say we had many. Fun was had by all, great staff great service definitely stop in.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We had a group that couldn't decide where to eat. Several wanted oysters so we wandered in to this restaurant. It was just perfect for a casual lunch. We all were able to order something we liked and they had the beverages everyone wanted.The food was real good for the price and the service was excellent. The restaurant was very crowded but they accommodated every guest without a problem. I will return next time I am on River Street.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Service was excellent and the oysters were very good. This was the first of three resturants that night. We should have stayed there.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I have been to Bernie's Oyster House before but I will never go back again.

Tonight I stopped in at the Tybee Island location for a snack. After studying the menu posted outside, I went inside and ordered a $2 PBR special, a side of five fried oysters tossed in Buffalo sauce and a side of fries.

What I was served instead was an entire appetizer portion of both fried oysters and a basket of French fries. I could see that the bartender was struggling somewhat with orders and appeared to be new, so I decided to accept what I was served.

I finished my food and a second beer and placed my debit card on the bar. After the bartender ran my card, he presented me with a slip that had a subtotal of $26 before tax.

I knew this was wrong and asked for an itemized check. This is what it said:

PBR @ 2 $4
10 Oysters. $12
Basket of Fries $5

Subtotal $26

Wow! 4 + 12 + 5 = 26. I had no idea. When I pointed this out to the bartender he took back my itemized check and looked at his POS screen. After a long look, he tried to tell me that when he entered the Buffalo sauce it added a $5 charge even though that never appeared on the check.

I explained that I did not even receive an accurate order and now I was getting a phantom $5 surcharge for sauce and that I was not pleased. He called the manager over for assistance after apologizing.

The manager asked for my card and returned to the screen. He changed the bill to the side of oysters instead of the appetizer, which lowered my subtotal before tax to $15. At no time did he apologize.

Then, instead of adjusting the amount of my charge, the manager deleted the first payment and ran a second one for the new amount. Of course, since this was a debit card, that meant that my bank had pulled $45 from my account to cover both charges and that the money from the deleted charge probably wouldn't be back for at least two days. When I tried to explain the effect of his error, he asked me if he could just give me the $26 if it would make me happy. Of course what he really was saying was "Shut up!"

There are many enjoyable places to go and things to do in Savannah and out on Tybee. Unless you enjoy having your pocket picked, I suggest you avoid both locations of Bernie's Oyster House.

2  Thank Stan K