“Wonderful place to do research and be inspired”

The Georgia Historical Society
Ranked #139 of 218 things to do in Savannah
Macon, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful place to do research and be inspired”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This is an incredible state treasure and well worth the visit. I was doing research on early immigration to Georgia and was able to get a tremendous amount accomplished in a relatively short amount of time thanks to the knowledgeable staff. Since it's open on Saturdays twice a month, you can make a weekend trip there. The location is great since you can walk to many historic sites, hotels, and restaurants. A wonderful trip!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank ESL954

Savannah, Georgia
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Beautiful building uninterested staff.”
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

GHS might want to reconsider who they have working the front desk. She seemed very annoyed at our questions and asked us to step aside to assist other guests . Comical to see the next guest ask the same general questions about genealogy and the associate get equally annoyed. Luckily another young lady did help a bit but also let us know this was her last day employed there. I would gladly pay to have someone help me but that didn't even seem to be an option. I was referred to the Armstrong library. If you head in be sure to have some thick skin and don't expect answers.

Visited May 2014
3 Thank AaronandKaren
Wallops Island, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Building was beautiful but the staff needs customer service training”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Was very unhappy when trying to find archives on our family. The staff was very rude and treated you like a criminal with all the personal information they required. The long dark haired lady was very rude and would not even let me fill out the paper work. I would never damage their property, even though I was willing to pay $5.00 just do look, but I was not happy about having to write my drivers license number down. If they wanted to see it fine, but they should never ask you for your personal information.

Visited April 2014
5 Thank Elizabeth Y
Savannah, Georgia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Best Research Materials”
Reviewed 31 January 2013

Library type setting. They have the best research material available for public use. Staff is very helpful . If you are into history or genealogy, this is a great place to look

Visited August 2012
2 Thank Katie Becky M
Ayden, North Carolina
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“honestly---It deserves some time, if you are in Savannah,Ga.”
Reviewed 24 May 2012

the historical society of Georgia is a must if you have any curiosity about history---the exhibits come to life especially if museum staff are involved---I have been in multiple similar settings in the past but I have never experienced the clarity and satisfaction rendered at the Georgia Historical Society

Visited June 2011