“Great Location”

Hilton Garden Inn Savannah Historic District
Ranked #26 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 8 July 2011

This was our second stay at this location. We have also stayed at the Doubletree directly across the street. The quality and cleanliness of the rooms was as expected in a Hilton property. The location makes it easy to experience the City Market, the riverfront and the rest of the historic downtown. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
paulkomanecky, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Savannah Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2011

mrmice,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback! I am glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your loyalty. I hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 7 July 2011

Hotel was great and was in a perfect location to see everything there is to see in Savannah. You can walk to the City Market area and River Street (on the waterfront). I'd highly recommend using the concierge service at this hotel. We stepped up to the desk..asked a few questions and got a wonderful day of activities, including reservations for The Chart House at 8pm on the balcony overlooking the waterfront (free appetizer since our concierge set up the reservation). Don't miss out on a wonderful time in Savannah...stay here...and use the concierge desk..they made it all easy and fun! Don't let the fees for valet parking scare you...parking in Savannah is scarce..so use it..the daily fee is comparable to other parking options that aren't as handy/close by. We loved the hop on and hop off trolley tour, the green spaces of the numerous parks, and the friendliness of the people. The hotel made it all the more enjoyable by being centrally located and helpful! Thanks Hilton Garden Inn Savannah Historic District...you'll see us again soon...it's a promise!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Caytoncristy,

Thank you so much for such a stellar review! I am so glad you enjoyed your time with us! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 28 June 2011

I have been prompted to review after seeing earlier reviews. I wanted to share my positive experience from October 2010.

This hotel was choosen by my travel agent as a cheaper alternative to the conference hotel across the water. As far as I can see this hotel is excellent value. It is certainly very well located for the main attractions. Coming from the UK, I am always impressed by Hilton Garden.

The front desk staff were very good, friendly, welcoming and full of excellent recommendations for places to eat. They were extremely chatty. I only wish I could remember then name of one lady in particular. When I had to leave the hotel for a meeting during a rain storm the valets tried really hard to find me an umbrella which was so kind. Breakfasts were good and plentiful and I like that fruit and coffee is always available. The pool was great with an amazing view. Room clean and well appointed.

I had two minor issues. There was some confusion with my pre-paid agent voucher and I was charged twice. However, this was quickly resolved and the hotel apologised. Also, I couldn't get the wi-fi in my room, but everywhere else it was fine. For these reasons I give 4/5 for service but this should not detract from the personal front desk service.

I intend to return for a holiday and will look forward to returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank nellnotts
paulkomanecky, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Savannah Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2011

nellnotts,

Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback on your stay with us. I enjoy hearing stories about exceptional customer service shown by the staff. While I wish every stay was perfect, it's also good to hear when issues are quickly resolved for our guests. I look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed 22 June 2011

On our yearly girlfriend trip, my three friends and I decided to once again visit Savannah. We stayed at the Hilton Inn, Garden District and it was really nice.. Savannah is a wonderful place to visit, we took the hearse ghost tour which was Fabulous, ate at several great restaurants , rented a car to drive to Charlston one day, had the dinner mystery one night at the Doubletree Hotel and visited Hilton Head. Loved this vacation.

Room Tip: Nice hotel, beds very comfortable,would stay again
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank wreckcat

wreckcat,

Thank you so much for your review. I am so glad you and your girlfriends enjoyed your stay with us! Thanks for checking out the Dinner Theatre at our sister hotel, the DoubleTree Hotel. It is a fairly new event and we love being able to offer our guests something fun to do right here at the hotel.

Reviewed 15 June 2011

Please read this review BEFORE you book at this hotel.. And read every other review as well. This hotel IS NOT work the money or trouble... GUESTS ARE NOT THIS HOTEL'S PRIMARY CONCERN.

THE HOTEL STINKS, Literally. I visited the lobbies of several other hotels on the street and you didn't smell the paper mill inside.. So not sure what the manger ranting about that he couldn't do anything about the smell of his hotel. He basically said it wasn't his fault or his problem.

The rooms are definitely less than sanitary. Some were even missing clean towels.

You will BILL WILL NOT BE incorrect. Make sure to check you bank or credit card account online daily if you can.

Young, inexperienced hotel front desk clerks, not professional.

No internet the first night we were there. Guests had to go to the front desk to get access codes...It appears they share access with their sister hotel (DoubleTree) next door.

There was no paper for the printer in the so called BUSINESS OFFICE and that is the absolutely slowed PRINT SERVER in the world. It took almost 15 minutes to print a 5 page document, after waiting 15 minutes for the front desk clerk to give me a couple of sheets of paper.

The parking is expensive..... $15 per night... There are lots right behind the hotel for less and just as secure...

The free breakfast buffet is mediocre at best.. Much better breakfast choices a block away and reasonaly priced.

The furniture literally has stains, hotes and even cigarette burns in the couch and carpeting.

The lighting is dim. Not a very appealing room at all.

DEFINITELY NOT A HILTON STANDARD...

There are MUCH BETTER hotels within walking distance of the River Front, that are clear and still reasonably priced.

And don't get bitten by Old Savannah Tours and the little lady pushing that scam either. We bought what was suppose to be an all day on/off type pass. Well they stopped at 4:30. So imagine our surpise when we were told that in the middle of our tour. There are a million places on the riverfront to get REAL tour specials...
GUESTS ARE NOT THIS HOTEL'S PRIMARY CONCERN.

I personally experienced a NASTY hotel room, poor housekeeping and the absolutely RUDEST GM of ANY hotel I have ever stayed. He all but called me a direct liar to my face. My bill looked like a jigsaw puzzled when I got it... I was inconvenienced, incorrectly billed, not compensated and called a liar by the GM. He even went so far as to ask why I bothered to say the 2nd night. Trust me, I was ready to go the minute the hotel started stinking the 2nd night. on the lower floors.

They got it wrong at this hotel. And what's equally as sad is that the GM manages the Doubletree next door. You would be better off across the street at the Best Western... Free parking, Free Internet, Nice Staff, Clean Room. For the money, it would be a better stay than a Hilton knock-off.

You can't blame the staff on this one. THAT GM NEEDS TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Do not prepay or give them a credit card in advanc
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank techy2011
paulkomanecky, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Savannah Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2011

Techy2011,

My recollection is that our conversation was certainly cordial. You repeatedly commented on the helpfulness of the staff, particularly he young lady working with me that morning and the maintenance engineer that assisted you the previous day. At no point did I even imply that you might be exaggerating your observations, let alone lying. I simply inquired about the conversation that took place between you and one of our employees the previous day.
If your bill looked "like a jigsaw puzzle" it was the result of the adjustments that provided you with discounts equivalent to a free night's stay. This also accounts for the difference originally authorized on your credit card and the amount you were actually charged.
We, as most hotels in the historic district do, charge for parking. We are not the least nor the most expensive
Our hotel is currently in the midst of renovations that, in part, include carpet, soft seating, televisions, and upgraded high speed internet. We do not share internet access with the Doubletree, but their signal can at times be picked up in some of our rooms. As we also operate that hotel, we provide their access code as a courtesy to those who request it.
Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 13 June 2011

Spent a long weekend exploring Savannah historic district. This location is very convenient, but have to say Bay Street is busy with traffic. (read dusty, noisy, truck traffic) so request a room in the back of the hotel. All hotel employees very pleasant. Had surprise cookies in the lobby when returning from dinner--then had surprise Leopold's ice cream the next afternoon. Who doesn't like those unexpected treats?! Room standard, not large, but typical (had small refrigerator). Hotel lobby and rooms nicely decorated and well kept (read clean). This is across the street from the Doubletree and Hampton's is just down the Bay Street. Riverfront just a short distance. City Market right behind hotel--closeby restaurants. Great pizza at Vinnie Van Go-go's, even though it is funky, slightly old and dirty, with tatooed waitstaff! Everything very walkable distance, but wear proper shoes! Savannah's streets are uneven and can be ankle-spraining, be careful! Next time we go, we'll compare rates at the Hilton--it's location is centralized in the historic squares, and on oak-lined street. If you are doing lots of museum tours, that location may save you some steps. There is also a city occupancy tax in addition to sales tax on your room, and valet parking is $15.00 per day. Parking in historic district can be a pain, so best to just pay at the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JandK-travelDuo
paulkomanecky, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Savannah Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2011

JandK-travelDuo,

Thank you for your feedback! I am so glad you enjoyed all of the little extras we offer our guests! While the Hilton is a great hotel, we feel our location is the best since we are just steps from City Market and so close to River Street. You are right about parking. It can be difficult in the Historic District as space is scarce. We offer valet so that our guests can be confident their vehicle is safe and secure.

Reviewed 13 June 2011

Enjoyed our stay in Savannah even though crowds were big and waits were longer. Stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn for two nights. Comfortable beds and clean rooms were a given, the bathroom was spacious and well stocked. Any time there are four towels for two women it's a bonus! Location was good with shops, restaurants and bars within easy walking distance. Went on a haunted pub tour which was fun. We will return to Savannah but at a different time of year. I'd like to experience it in the fall without the party crowds. Only complaint is really just a pet peeve...I don't like paying for parking. But, the valet staff was awesome and very personable...as was everyone we encountered at the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family

FloridaGirl0124,

Thank you for your review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay! You should definitely come back in the fall. The weather is beautiful and makes exploring an amazing experience! I am sorry for your disappointment regarding parking. As I am sure you noticed, space is scarce, so most hotel parking is underground. We rely on our valet staff to take good care of our guests' vehicles and to exude customer service as they are the first people you interact with at our hotel. Please come back and stay with us again this fall!