“Hilton Reliable”

Hilton Garden Inn Savannah Historic District
Ranked #27 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 25 December 2012

Standard room with decent size, plenty-o-pillows, clean sheets and good towels. A big deal for those who travel and have ever arrived weary only to find threadbare bath towels and sheets that look like the shroud of Turin...not here. With Hilton, I feel like I can depend on a clean room and a good night's sleep. Staff were very courteous and helpful and went out of their way to follow up on our questions or requests. The Bay St location allowed us to sight see for two days on foot since there is plenty of history, shopping, waterfront attractions, and eateries all within blocks of the hotel. If Savannah is your destination or a stop along the way, I would stay here every time.

Room Tip: We always request never smoked in rooms on a high floor to reduce noise and maybe get a view, too.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,905)

Reviewed 21 December 2012

From the time you arrive to the time you leave the service is superb. The rooms are reasonable size but most important clean and comfortable. The River walk is close by and some rooms have an excellent view of the River area other rooms have good views of historic Savannah. You can stay here for days, eat at a different restaurant frequently and never have to call a cab or get in your car. If you want to see more of Savannah catch one of the many guided tours.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 December 2012

Drove down from Nashville to see relatives in Savannah and stayed here ideal base and the whole experience was just great would definitely visit again. We stayed in room 313 which overlooks west Bay Street and traffic started early but not an issue as we wanted to get up early to go around.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 December 2012

Having traveled around the world I am accustomed to fine service and also know poor service as well. The entire staff, from the Valet to the front desk were exceptional bar none. Everyone could not have made us feel more welcome. Our location was fantastic and safe. Our room was a King suite which we were upgraded too upon check in. The biggest asset this Hotel has ia an exceptional concierge named Pam from Old Savannah Tours (912) 234-8128. This tour gave us a great tour with lots of info about the historic district. Do this first prior to walking around on your own. Once you park the car, walking is what you will be doing. Pam, suggested restaurants and made reservations for us. Gerabaldi's, which is around the corner was outstanding!. It was my Birthday so we wanted somewhere specal to go. The next night was Vic's on the water a few short blocks away again, amazing. Goose feathers for breakfast completed our eating. Had breakfast here twice!!!! Savannah is amazing on its own. The staff at the Hilton Garden Inn made this one of the most enjoyable stays ever! Will never stay anywhere else in Savannah.
Jamie K.

Room Tip: 5th floor Facing the river is amazing.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jamie121660
Reviewed 14 December 2012

We enjoyed our week long stay at this hotel. The staff was mostly accommodating, friendly and helpful. The room was clean and comfortable. I would probably have given it an "excellent" review except for a couple of things. One evening when I wasn't feeling well I went downstairs and ordered soup and a sandwich. I waited about 50 minutes for that to arrive from the Hilton across the street.
After leaving Savannah I realize I have lost my address book and a golf shirt. I have tried 5-6 times to reach someone to talk to about this, but all I ever get is an answering machine that promises to call me back. No call in a week. So I am disappointed in these two parts of the experience.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Lauri W
Danielle V, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Savannah Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2012

We are pleased you chose to stay with us during your week long vacation. We’re sorry to hear you weren't feeling well and had to wait for your room service. This is out of character for the hotel and your remarks have been given to our managers for continued improvement. Regarding your lost items, we deeply apologize someone has not contacted you back. Please call the front desk of the hotel at 912-721-5000 and ask to speak to Paul our General Manager. He is awaiting your call and is ready to assist. We hope you will return to stay with us for a improved experience.

Best,
Danielle Valenchis

Reviewed 2 December 2012

This was our first time to stay in the Historic District of Savannah, and we liked it real good. All employees were of the highest caliber, and yet one person stood out from the rest, Antwuan, our valet attendant. He met us at the door when we arrived with a huge smile, which he seemed to wear continuously, and genuinely, as we found out from experience throughout the next few days. But the very first time we came down to retrieve our car, Antwuan greeted us warmly by name, and ran, yes ran to get our car. :) I've been in business for over 35 years now, and when you find someone who treats people the way this young man does....You keep them, and take care of them. Thanks Antwuan, for making this part of the trip memorable, Thanks Hilton Garden Inn. PJ
ps. All of the men working in Valet, were very polite, and courteous. Thanks guys.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Allthebaers
Reviewed 29 November 2012

We had a fifth floor room facing City Market. It was easily the noisiest hotel room I have ever stayed in. My husband and I always choose Hilton Hotels for their quality, and this stay was quite surprising. Not only could you hear every word sung from the Karaoke bar across the street until 2AM, but you could hear cars driving by all night, as well as people's conversations on the street. I actually got up three separate times to make sure our windows were closed thinking something had to be open, but alas, it was just poor insulation. I finally called the reception desk for help, and she simply said she couldn't do anything about it. There was never an offer to move to a different room even though the hotel was quite empty. Thankfully we didn't have any kids with us, but I certainly would not recommend this hotel to anyone travelling with children, and would suggest requesting a room facing Bay St., not City Market.

My cousin was travelling with us and had a room with her son on the other side of the hotel. She didn't experience the noise problems we did, however her window was level with the pool deck and didn't have any blackout curtains. It wasn't an issue in November, however she said if it had been pool season, she would have requested to be moved to a private room.

Additionally the price of parking when I booked the hotel said $15, but when we got there we were informed it was $18, even though we showed the confirmation that said $15.

Finally, I booked the room with a discount code on the website. When we checked out the next day, they charged full price. I asked about it, and she said if I had the confirmation with the price of the room they could grant it. However, the confirmation I received only had dates with no prices, and I even showed this to her to which she just stared at me blankly and said "I don't know what to do." I finally gave up because it wasn't worth arguing about. All in all this was a VERY disappointing stay. Even more disappointing was that I tried to address these issues with the manager directly, but cannot locate any contact information other than the reception desk. We will be staying at a different Hilton on our next trip to Savannah!

Room Tip: Request a room facing Bay St. City Market gets very noisy at night.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank CZN
Danielle V, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Savannah Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

We thank you for your loyalty to Hilton and choosing to stay with us while in Savannah. We deeply apologize for the shortcomings during your stay and we can assure you that these experiences are out of character for the hotel and our staff. Please know that all the rooms have blackout curtains and all email confirmations from Hilton provide the rate paid on the confirmation. We do not change the rates at the Front Desk therefore what you were charged is what was booked online. We apologize you did not enjoy your stay with us and we hope to provide you with a more characteristic stay in the future.

Danielle Valenchis