“Great Place to stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Jacksonville, FL
“Great Place to stay”
Reviewed 23 March 2010

The hotel was clean as was the room. We had a double queen that faced the parking lot next door. The bathroom was clean and the hotel offered Neutrogena products; lotion, shampoo, conditioner & mouthwash. We asked for a cot and it was brought up within minutes. The staff was friendly and accomdating. No problems checking in nor with valet parking. While we could have found cheaper parking based on some of the other reviews, we felt it was best parked in a secure area on the hotel grounds. Valet was $17.50 per day. If you exit out the back of the hotel just one street over is the City Market Square with lots of places to eat. Lots of outdoor seating if you want to bring your dog along. No through traffic. Lots of people had their dogs and most were welcome in the tourist shops as well. If your looking for the touristy shops, you'll find most of those along the water front. Which would be out the front door of the hotel. We found a great dueling piano bar, Savannah Smiles, within walking distance from the hotel ( one street over going out the front door) open until 3 am. While we never ate at the hotel, The Cotton Exchange, found along the water front had good food and beer. We ate at The Rock for dinner found inside the Bohemian hotel and that was good as well. Heard they had a great roof top bar, but we never made it up there. If your a light sleeper,you may not want the rooms that face the back parking lot of the hotel as we heard someone complain it got really loud out there around 3 am with music playing and people hollering. Possibly leaving Savannah Smiles?? We never heard a thing, so I can't confirm or deny it got loud. Overall a good stay and located within walking distance to everything. One last tip...the stairs going down to the river area are steep and brutal..not to mention climbing back up. You can go into a hotel ( I assume any hotel) but we went into the Bohemian and then down to the 1st floor to the restaurant along the water side. We noticed other people doing that and then keep going right out the door. Beats the steep steps if your unable to do so.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
StacySturgis, Social Media Sales Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, 27 April 2010
broomhilda04,

Thanks so much for your review. You left some amazing tips for all travelers visiting Savannah! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and that you found our staff so accommodating and helpful.

Social Media Sales Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
alabama
Reviewed 22 March 2010

Hotel is clean. The rooms are not great but it is in a good location, so it is overpriced based only on the room but you do have to pay for location. It could be noisy since it is located on Bay St....but that is true of all of the hotels located on this street.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2010

The hotel lobby is nice, the room was nice. The only thing you are close to is the center market,but alittle far from the area I enjoy on river street, staybridge is a much better location. And other than the center market it is a little far from the parks we enjoy. But that being said, it was from the things we like to see while in Savannah and not the hotels fault. The bed was very comfortable. I liked the room and hotel. But the location was just ok. Great staff, very helpful in scheduling a tour and the shuttle picks you up right outside the hotel.

• Stayed March 2010
Keyford,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry you only found the location of the hotel "ok." You seem to have some favorite spots on the east end of River Street. While we are a very short walk from River Street, we are on the west end. We are steps from City Market and Broughton Street with its boutique shopping. You sound like an experienced visitor to our city and you know exactly where you want to go when you get here. We are glad you continue to come back! I think that new visitors to Savannah find the location great for exploring!

Beaufort, SC
Reviewed 16 February 2010

DO NOT STAY HERE! CUSTOMER SERVICE IS NOT THEIR SPECIALTY, NOR IS IT THEIR PRIORITY FOR YOUR EXPENSIVE STAY!

I booked a room online for my 40th Birthday Celebration. I specifically requested a room with 2 beds since I had a friend staying with me as well. I booked this hotel under my rewards points and once we got to the hotel we were told that we could not use our points so they immediately charged my credit card the full price of $208 plus an extra $50 on top of that for some deposit which you have to wait over 3 days for it to be credited back to your credit card. We got to our room and noticed that we had only one bed, a queen, not even a king. We carried all of our luggage back downstairs (we were on the 5th floor) and went back to the front desk to show them on our reservation paperwork we brought from home where we specifically requested 2 beds. She looks at the paperwork and informed us that the 2 beds we requested were only a "preference", which means you are not guaranteed 2 beds, etc. She then went on to tell us that they did not have any 2 bed rooms for us available throughout the entire hotel, which is very hard to believe because the hotel is huge, however, she did not even bother to look in her computer and double check, and it was very obvious that the hotel was not completely full and booked. She didn't try to accommodate us in any way. We then lugged all of our luggage back up to the 5th floor ourselves and had to sleep in the same bed together on my 40th birthday, which I booked in advance and requested 2 beds for a comfortable experience for my friend and I on my 40th birthday.

We then were awaken early the next morning by jackhammers outside - very noisy. This hotel is not a customer service hotel. This hotel is not worth $200 per night hotel. This hotel is not a comfortable and relaxing hotel to spend the night at. This hotel is not a place you want to waste your money or time on if you are trying to celebrate a special occasion, like a birthday, etc. I could have got a nicer hotel right on Riverstreet for a way cheaper price, but the ONLY reason I booked with the Hilton is because I was under the impression that I could use my rewards points and was under the impression that I would be in a room with 2 beds. This hotel made my birthday one big let down and one big hassle.

I would recommend staying at The Hyatt, The Bohemian, or The Riverstreet Inn, if you want to have a nice stay in downtown Savannah for the money! TRUST ME!

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — Did not recieve the accommodations I specifically booked and paid for in advance!
  • Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank TeedaStar
TeedaStar,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you had so many issues with your stay. I am unsure as to why the desk agent would not have allowed you to use your HHonors points for your stay. If the stay is booked through the HHonors channel, we are obliged to honor it. I would like to get to the bottom of this for you and am going to send you a message so that we can talk and figure this out. As for the noise, the Historic District is going through some road construction in several locations right now and I am sorry it disturbed your sleep. I hate that you didn't receive your requested room type on your special day. While room types are a request, we typically do not have any issues and are able to accommodate our guests' requests.

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 February 2010

First, the good... the hotel sits directly behind City Market, so shops, restaurants, and bars are at your doorstep, including the Savannah Candy Kitchen with the world's best pralines. Paula Deen's restaurant called Lady and Sons is about two blocks away, and that's a bonus too. The hotel is only 1 block from a ramp to River Street, so more shops, restaurants, and bars are at your doorstep. River Street is party central. And you can walk to pretty much all of the historic squares in Savannah from this hotel, so all of the historic district, home tours, ghost tours, etc. are at your doorstep. Can't complain about location at all--prime. We didn't have any issues with valet service like other reviewers for this hotel. Johnny on the spot for us. Parking was pricey at $17.50 per day, plus tip for leaving/retrieving car, so not cheap. There is a flat parking lot directly behind the hotel that only charges $8 a day flat rate, but you have to feed the slot daily and you can't come in and out with your car, so it's not a great alternative. The hotel seemed up to date and modern in most ways. The breakfast was not free, nor were there enough tables on the weekend to accommodate guests, so we had to haul our plates back to the room. Food was pretty average. There is no hotel bar to speak of, if that is important to you. Rooms do have a small fridge and microwave, so that was good. Our bed was really worn, though, to the point of stuffing a pillow underneath the edge to keep from sliding onto the floor. Not good. What other guests have said about noise is true--Savannah is a party town, and you can hear the young ones roaming the streets from about midnight til 3am. Bring ear plugs. Not much the hotel can do about this. We saw a really nice hotel just down the block from this hotel called "Avia." You might want to check rates on Avia before you book this hotel. Honestly it looks nicer than this Hilton Garden Inn as a brand new boutique hotel, and when I checked rates, it was cheaper than the Hilton Garden Inn as well. Wish I had known this ahead of time. If you have to stay at this hotel, though, the location really makes up for any shortcomings. Very walkable. Oh, one more thing, the wifi in this hotel sucks. VERY slow. Bring an ethernet cable to plug into the wall jack. You'll need it, and they don't provide it.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank kevboom
kevboom,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so glad you found the location to be great! It is within walking distance to most everything in the Historic District. It sounds like the hotel was having a busy day from your review regarding the restaurant being packed and the rate being higher than other area hotels. We are usually right in line with similar hotels in the area unless we have very few rooms left to sell. I am going to pass your bed and wi-fi issues along to the general manager so that they can be addressed by the proper departments. I hope you will stay with us again should your travels bring you back to Savannah.

Seattle
Reviewed 24 January 2010

Beautiful hotel and helpful staff. The breakfast was included in my rate since I'm a gold member. It was a very good prepared to order breakfast plus there was a well-stocked buffet. No lunch or dinner service available on-site. The location was convenient to the historic district. There was a nice business center. My room was very clean. There was an on-site concierge so that was convenient for tours, taxis, etc. There is an on-site laundry room. The worst part of the stay was the neighborhood noise. The first two nights I stayed on the backside of the hotel overlooking the parking lot. Franklin Square is near by. It's full of homeless people who party all night and maintain a presence during the day. Also at 2 a.m. when the riverfront bars close down, the people leave the bars travel up Montgomery which is right by the hotel. You can hear them party for at least an hour every night. I asked to be moved to the front of the building, thinking street noise would be easier to deal with than the party crowd. However, I could still hear the partiers leave the bars every night at 2 a.m. traveling up Montgomery and on West Bay. Each morning in the restaurant, I could hear other guests complain about not being able to sleep the night before due to the noise. There is also heavy traffic noise during the day, including large trucks. If peace and quiet are important to you, I would consider a hotel other than one located on West Bay. Midtown is not that far away.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank TravelmasterToo
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 November 2009

The good - Great location. The over worked desk clerk was very friendly as was one woman parking attendant.

The bad - the checkin took about 30 minutes. The parking is attrocious, it took forever to get the car in and out. The room phone didn't work.

The ugly - the room smelled toxic, like mold and mildew. We asked for another room but it was the same smell. Looking at the carper in the hallway it looks like the hotel had a flood of some sort. I love Garden Inns but this one was a total bust.

They did allow us to check out at no charge. We went to the Hilton up the street for $10 more and it was better in every way.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
BuckOh,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and post your concerns. I sincerely apologize for the time it took for you to get to your room. This is not the norm for our staff and I can only imagine that it was a busy day/time. As far as the smell of the rooms/carpet, we do make every effort to keep our hotel in top shape, but things do happen that warrant repairs/deeper cleaning and unfortunately, whatever happened this time directly affected your stay. I am sure this issue has been taken care of, but will follow up on it. I am glad you were able to find a hotel to accommodate you on such short notice and am sorry you had to go elsewhere.