“Great Location, Friendly Staff, Internet Problems” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hilton Garden Inn Savannah Historic District
Ranked #27 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersBronze level
Kitty Hawk, NC
“Great Location, Friendly Staff, Internet Problems”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2010

My family stayed here during the week for one of his business trips. We have previously stayed at the Doubletree right next door so I already knew I loved the location. It is right by the city market and across the street from the riverfront rd.
Because of suggestions I'd read here, my husband asked which side they had our room on. They said the street side but assured him that 5 floors up would not be noisy at all. He pointed to his Diamond status (he has like 500000 points with hilton) and they immediately moved us to the back side. So thanks to everyone on Tripadvisor, we slept well.
The rooms were decent. It's not a brand new hotel. It's clean but the bathroom feels old, but hey, it's clean!
The breakfast is excellent and I have to say their chef was so nice. He was super friendly and would make you anything you asked for. In fact, every staff member we encountered was very friendly and helpful. I had to call the front desk at one point because the pool was out of towels, they had fresh ones there within minutes.
The only issue I had was this...the internet. Yes, they have wifi but I found it was only possible to connect if you came to the lobby. From the wireless networks within range, I am guessing they are trying to share with Doubletree next door. They have tried to remedy this with a lan cable in your room but I was only able to connect to that once! The other times it just said limited. So I think if you are going on a vacation this wouldn't be an issue...take your laptop down to the lobby every few days and check your email. But if you are working and need internet access, don't stay here.
It's a good hotel. I think Doubletree is better (of course, it's Hilton's higher value hotel) so I say if you can afford it, do doubletree, if you need to save some $$ HGI is just fine.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank surfer143
StacySturgis, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, 28 July 2010
surfer143,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am so glad your room was comfortable and sleep was easy. I apologize for the internet issues you encountered. This is ongoing and we are constantly making efforts to improve and repair this situation. Sometimes there are no issues with connectivity, and sometimes guests have issues like yours. Thanks for being a loyal Hilton guest and for choosing to stay with us and our sister hotel next door!

Paul Komanecky

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2010

We stayed Monday through Friday and had a great time. Good staff at the desk and room was cleaned everyday. We ate in the restaurant in the mornings and the food was excellent. They serve an egg caserol called "Strata" that was very tasty. The City Market is right behind the hotel and River Walk is right across the street. The only problem we had was the hotel recommended Old Savannah Tours for the trolley service and the ran the fewest trollies that we could see. We had to wait an hour for one to come get us at one of the stops.
I have read others talk about the $15 per day for parking. They make you acknowledge this when you check in so there is no suprise that you are paying. They get your car in a minute and you don't have to worry about parking it on the street. I have seen most if not all the hotels in town do the same.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mgauldin
StacySturgis, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, 14 July 2010
mgauldin,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! I am sorry that your trolley tour experience did not meet your expectations. There are three trolley tour companies here in Savannah, so the next time you are visiting maybe you can try another. I hope you will visit and stay with us again soon!

Genereal Manager
Athens, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2010

I just got back from a business trip to Savannah, which I make two times a year. This was my first time staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Savannah Historic District, and I was very disappointed. First, there is nothing to set this hotel apart in a positive way. The staff and the rooms furnishings are average.

My biggest complaint is that I was awoken several times during the night by outside and inside noise. I was on the third floor. Usually I am a very sound sleeper. However, throughout the night I heard motorcycles and obnoxious revelers yelling outside. And it sounded as though the guest in the bathroom next to mine was actually in my bathroom. There didn't seem to be any soundproofing of the rooms at all.

The room seemed a little grimy, and my tub had mildew in it. When I arrived, there were the previous occupants dirty dishes sitting outside my door.

The rooms are laid out awkwardly with the "living area" separated somewhat from the "sleeping area", which had the effect of making the room seem very small.

Finally, the wireless Internet connection was so slow as to be unusable. I even gave up on trying to send a simple e-mail.

My stay wasn't a disaster, but there are so many other places to stay in Savannah, I definitely won't be returning. (Usually I stay at the Courtyard by Marriott, which is also not exceptional, but it is pleasant and doesn't have the same issues I've listed here.)

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MargotSmith
StacySturgis, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, 30 June 2010
MargotSmith,

Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback on our hotel. I sincerely apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay. The noise issue is ongoing. Our Bay St. location means extra street activity compared to other areas of the city. We are working on a solution for this issue and when you return we would be happy to book you in one of our rooms that are not street side. As for the cleanliness issues, I will address these with the Director of Housekeeping. It sounds like you were in one of our suites. These rooms are designed to offer some privacy between the sitting room and the sleeping area. I will address the internet issue with our Chief Engineer as we do not receive this complaint often at this hotel. It could be that there was more traffic than normal online. I hope you will give us another chance if you visit Savannah again.

Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2010

While I tentatively recommend this hotel, it was my least favorite of five Hilton properties (Hamptons and HGIs) we stayed in on a recent swing through the south. Like a previous reviewer stated, it had all the expected niceties of an HGI but lacked the personal touch I've come to expect at Hilton properties. The staff just didn't seem to be engaged in wanting to create that personal experience for the traveler. Examples:

1. FRONT DESK STAFF - our advance reservation was mixed up with another party when we checked in (admitedly not our fault but the property's) so we waited and waited and waited until they got it straightened out. Very uncommunicative front desk staff - not much in the way of an explanation of what happended or any apology or even small talk to try to make the customer feel better.

Later in the evening I asked the front desk attendant if they had a PC I could use - she didn't know what a PC was until I said a 'computer' which she then directed me to the buisness center. Huh ???????????? That same person also didn't know what time the trolley started in the morning & redirected me to the concierge. This is basis information that should be known by all. Having spent time in the hospitality industry, the folks at the front desk sorely need add'l training.

2. ROOM - toilet had a pubic hair and urine on the bowl under the seat - TOTALLY unacceptable but too much of a hassle to complain or relocate to another property when you're already tired from a long drive.

One of the glass sliding doors on the closet was off the track. I pointed it out to the bell hop when he delivered our bags and requested maintenance look at it (5 minute fix) while we were out for dinner. Said he would handle . . . but guess what - not done.

The biggest asset of this property is its location. Except as noted above, the accomodations are, for the most part, up to HGI standards but it staying there doesn't make you want to rush back the next time you are in the area.

1 Thank TFopinion
StacySturgis, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, 9 June 2010
TFopinion,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I sincerely apologize for all of the issues you encountered during your stay and that some were not properly addressed when requested. I am sure your issue at check-in was frustrating and this frustration was compounded by the problems in your room. As for the housekeeping issue, I can assure you this almost never happens in our hotel, but I will be sure to address this with my housekeeping managers. I do hope you will be willing to give us another chance to wow you and show you true Southern Hospitality should your travels bring you to Savannah.

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2010

We spent our first anniversary at the Hilton Garden Inn. One reason we chose this hotel is that we spent three separate one-night stays at the same Hilton chain in Phoenix during our honeymoon last year. We were just as happy with this stay as our last stay. We had a lovely room on the top floor with a view of the Talmadge Bridge. Though there was a bit of a line to check in, the staff got through everyone quickly and we had enough time to get settled in our room before our dinner reservation. The room was clean and comfortable, with a separate sitting area and a small balcony, which was the perfect place to enjoy coffee and the morning newspaper. The staff was happy to check our luggage so that we could explore the city after checking out but before leaving town.

There were only a few negatives regarding the stay. The refrigerator in the lobby's pantry shop was not working, so we had to get warm drinks for our long drive after checking out. Our biggest problem was that Hilton's website wasn't very clear about the charge for valet parking, which we didn't even realize until the day before we arrived, so we didn't have the time to research other parking options in the city. If you'd rather not spend $25 a day to valet the car, be sure to do your homework before your trip.

But the negatives were tiny in comparison to the great stay that we had. We wish we'd been able to stay more than one night. The staff was wonderful, the room amenities were convenient, and we'll certainly stay here again if we find ourselves back in Savannah.

1 Thank IceGurlie
StacySturgis, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, 2 June 2010
IceGurlie,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It's so great that you are so loyal to Hilton Garden Inns and have had great stays and experiences. I apologize for the warm drinks upon departure. These things do happen and I appreciate your understanding. I am also sorry about the surprise valet charges. I am going to look into this and make sure parking rates are clear on our website. While there are plenty of places to park in Savannah, leaving your car with our valet offers peace of mind and security. We hope you will visit us again soon!

Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2010

I am not that picky of a traveler but this place sucked. Really. I would have rather stayed at a Super 8 Motel. My fiance is a VIP Diamond Hilton member so we stay in Hiltons everywhere we go. This place was a joke! I cannot believe Hilton allows their name on this hotel. To be fair, the staff was very nice, the location was good, the lobby was pretty, and the breakfast was delish. But the rooms! Ugh they were straight up dirty. There was a stain so big on the carpet that it looked like someone had been freshly shot. The carpet was so sticky it made you want to gag. There was no comforter on the bed, instead just this weird, ratty, tan blanket that had 4 holes in it! All of the furniture was scarred up like it was from a thrift store. There was a nice coffee area in the room and the bathroom wasn't so bad. We ended up changing rooms. The second one had a regular comforter and wasn't quite so ratty but it wasn't Hilton standards. Normally, I wouldn't be so hard on a place but they charged us an arm and a leg. It was soooo not worth it for the price. We ended up cancelling our reservation for the next day and went to Hilton Head for the night. We couldn't wait to leave. We left an expensive electric toothbrush in our room. After calling them twice and leaving messages, they finally returned our call and said they couldn't find it. I have left items at other hotels and the stuff was returned immediately. The whole expirence was just a big downer. Oh! I forgot about the parking! $25 a day. They don't even charge that much at exquisite 4 star hotels!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank NewYorker4247
NewYorker4247,

Thank you for taking a few minutes to review our hotel. While I am glad you found our staff to be friendly and enjoyed our lobby and breakfast, I want to personally apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay. Our guests' satisfaction is a priority for me and I am sorry you left us unhappy. Guests do not usually find our rooms in such a state and I plan to look into this with my housekeeping staff and managers. Hilton does hold us to a high standard and does visit us for quality assurance inspections, the last of which we passed with flying colors. We would love it if you would give us another chance to wow you should your travels bring you back to Savannah.

Monkey4u
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2010

We stayed at this location for four days in May for a brief vacation. I was very pleased with our stay. The staff were always friendly and accommodating, and the building was gorgeous. The concierge, Charlie, was outstanding. He was extremely knowledgeable about the area and all that there was to see and do. I work in the hospitality industry, and am always watching to see how others compare. This hotel staff was superb the whole way around. When we had one minor incident with the bathroom, maintenace was there within minutes to fix it for us. Thank you all for a wonderful time.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Monkey4u,

Thank you so much for your positive review of our hotel!! I am so glad we met and exceeded your expectations! As members of the hospitality industry, we can be the most critical of our accommodations, so it is great to hear you were impressed and enjoyed your stay. Please visit again soon!