“One of my favorite hotels anywhere...”

The Thunderbird Inn
Ranked #33 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersGold level
Cochran, GA
“One of my favorite hotels anywhere...”
Reviewed 4 April 2011

-The bed was the most comfortable bed I have slept in ever. I remember thinking once that the bed at the Marriott (much more expensive!) in Charlotte, NC was divine, but I liked this one even better, especially the pillows! In fact, upon leaving we asked where they got the pillows and what kind they were and bought some like them or very similar.
It was clean and tidy, old but trendy, small. PTAC units in the rooms are old, but many things have been more recently remodeled.
Walking distance to historic Savannah.
Moonpies on your pillow, but we were there at Valentine's Day, so we had Valentine's candy! Great memorabilia in their gift shop, maybe a bit overpriced but cute. Does an excellent job of conveying the Vegas roadside motel kind of experience.
The staff is VERY friendly. Krispy Kreme for breakfast in the breakfast area by the front desk.
I loved it, and I will stay here again!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 2 April 2011

While traveling with a friend, we recently stayed at this hotel because we prefer to patronize mom& pop establishments. The reviews we read said that the beds were the most comfortable beds ever. They were right!!! The mattress and bed linens were amazing. I normally have a terrible time sleeping, butI felt like I was being cradled in heaven with my mattress. The rest of the room was pretty basic, but fine since we didn't spend much time inside. Could have been a little cleaner, but it wasn't dirty. Location was very accessible to the historic area. One great hint...before you go out exploring, speak with Bonnie at the front desk. She has many good suggestions about places to see that are not listed in any of the guides. Plus, she's friendly and helpful beyond normal.

Denton, Texas
Reviewed 30 March 2011

My friend and I decided to do a girls/ mommy weekend away and stayed here the 24th through the 28th.
Upon arrival we were told that the room rate was $154 a night even though when we booked it we were told $114. Luckily my friend is organized and brought her documentation to show the price we were quoted. We wound up being charged a weekend rate for Saturday though.
The room was decent enough. The shower curtain was absolutley filthy however and me and my friend tried not to touch it other than to pull it shut. The comforter which is white was pretty dingy and I had to wonder if it is washed after each use. The toilet only flushed part of the time. Tempature control in the room was pretty tricky and you either freeze to death or sweat profusely.
I'm not sure the reason but whenever the room was cleaned they wouldn't leave clean towels. They would take your dirty towels but not leave clean ones. We had to call each time to get towels. The lady that brought them to use was sweet as pie though.

Each night all we could hear was people outside yelling. There is quite a bit of traffic noise but it wasn't that bad...the yelling though. Ugh.

The motel is a good distance away from 'the action'. So if you want to be in the thick of things this in not the place to stay. With all of the fattening Southern food we didn't mind the walk and my friend and I walked everywhere we went. (keep those pounds off!)

I can't honestly say that I would stay here again. But the staff is friendly. If they could just care about the cleaniness and tell those that are outside causing a ruckas to move on down the road it would be a pretty decent place to stay.

1 Thank KrissyBurke05
Berlin, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 March 2011

Be careful when booking here they did not honor the agreed upon rate!
I had a problem booking on line so did it over the phone & unfortunately I did not request a confirming email. The published price of $114 was hiked to $154 when i checked in. Not having any documentation (I've never before had a problem – having always booked at more reputable establishments), they would not honor the rate (they did however split the difference with me).

Also at the front desk was another customer having a similar overcharge issue on her room. Am I sensing a pattern? My advise is to not go here, I don't think they are honest but if you do "get it in writing".

Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, 29 March 2011
I am embarrassed that you had a rate issue. I wish you could have emailed me before you became this upset. I strive to opperate the Tbird with the upmost integrity; I am sorry you feel this is not the case. I would be upset too if my rate wasn't what I thought it was.

Our policy is to send out two confirmations. The first is to go out as soon as you make your reservation. This acts as our agreement on the rate so if something does go wrong, we can correct it quickly. The second goes out two days before your arrival to follow up and offer assistance with your stay in Savannah.

I would love to talk to you to see where this went wrong and get it fixed for you.
NC
Reviewed 27 March 2011

Let me start by saying that this place isnt "terrible" just isnt exactly to my liking. First thing, the place is NOT in a good section of town at all. Its across the street from the greyhound bus station, a couple of vacant parking lots and a homeless mission and 3 scuzzy gas stations. Didnt feel too safe. Second, the parking was awful. If you get to your room past 5pm, you can forget about getting a parking space.In stead you get to park across the busy intersection into one of those fabulous vacant lots. Third, as previous posts say the blackout curtains do not black out as much as they should. We had a group of drunk bachelors bang on our door at 4am at the wrong room, scared us to death. I called downstairs and Leo helped me. He looked at the windows, laughed and said" oh its a drunk guy, he has gone to his room now" Nobody made any moves to make it right. Didnt go tell the guys what they had done or nothing. Me and My sister were awake and scared for the rest of the morning. We actually checked out at 6:30am. Its too far away from the actual historic distric. There was no way we were able to walk to any of the attractions except the visitors center.

The pluses: the moonpies were a nice treat, some of the staff were friendly, and THE BEDS were freakin AWESOME!!! I loved loved loved the bed.... I slept like an angel until our 4am visitor.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
I am so sorry for the response you received from one of my staff members. That isn't how I want guests treated. While another guest knocking on your door at a late hour is annoying and even scary, it is one of those things that happens from time to time at any hotel/motel whether it is a drunk guest or a guest who is confused about where the rest of their party is located.
I do agree with you my staff member should have handled it better and gone to talk to the guest that knocked on your door. I know that doesn't make it any better at this point, but it is a training opportunity for me and my staff.

I understand that you thought we were out of the way and in a bad part of town. We are only one block off the historic district and surrounded by college dorms for the Savannah College of Art and Design. There is more of that than the items that you pointed out. You also mentioned that the only place you could walk to was the visitors center (about two blocks south)... All three trolley companies' welcome centers are less than one block west (further from the historic district) of us.

Last, I am glad you loved the MoonPies at turndown and our fantastic beds! I am glad you stayed with us. I look forward to improving in our handling of guest complaints when they occur.
Fort Payne, Alabama
Reviewed 27 March 2011

Hotel is on the edge of the Historic District. Easy walk to Visitors Center, trolley tours, and railroad museum. Other points of interest are within reasonable walking distance and walking is preferd to driving and then trying to find parking. Beds were very comfortable, towels were big and fluffy. Dont think we have ever stayed in a cleaner room.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the fantastic review and notes about what is around us! I hope you make it to savannah again! You can also be our friend on facebook /TbirdinnSav.
Greencastle
Reviewed 18 March 2011

The location and staff were the only good things about this place. The motel is located in walking distance of shops, resturants and other must see spots. The staff were very nice as well. Our problem started at check in. I reserved a king bed with pull out couch and received a 2 double bed room. With a family of 5 that was very difficult. Once we got into the room, it was very small and very dirty. The comforter and sheets were stained. The toilet wouldn't flush, unless you messed with the handle. The floor looked like it was never shampooed, my kids socks were black from walking on the carpet. This list could go on, but ill keep it short. I couldn't wait to leave the next morning.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
"You get what you pay for" is not acceptable for me when I make a purchase and it most assuredly isn't acceptable for my guests!

I am sorry about the room type being wrong. I too have a family of 5 and can understand where that is an issue. I don't know the exact circumstances that casued your room type to be wrong. I can tell you that we always do our best to give guests the room they reserve. Unfortunately, there are a few instances where we are not able to grant the requested room type. The dates that you stayed with us is the craziest week of the year in Savannah and it's hotels. I am sure that played into the room type error.

As far as the cleanliness issue... That is plain embarrassing. With our rooms being exterior corridor, it is a challenge to keep the carpets pristine. It is something that we work diligently to maintain and every carpet is cleaned at least monthly (some times more depending on the traffic and rain). The linens are also important to me. Clean linens are one of the cornerstones of a comfy room and enjoyable stay. I would love to talk to you so i can see who cleaned and inspected your room so we can improve our quality!