“Simply the best all around value!”

The Thunderbird Inn
Ranked #34 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I have to admit... I got this place for a steal... $184 for three nights. I was a weary of staying in a motel with exterior corridors but trust me you couldn't be safer at the Thunderbird. Seriously.. The location is unbeatable. Walk three blocks and you'll find yourself in the center of historic savannah! Rooms are small... But we didn't come to Savannah to stay in our room... It's just important that they're clean... Which they are. And of course.. The best part is free parking! Can't get much better than that in Savannah:)

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank bradaussie93
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2012

It is cool that you took advantage of our low August rates and had a great time in Savannah!!! I hope you still have places you want to eat so you can come back and see us!

Reviewed 1 August 2012

The motel is charming with a kitschy flavor. The oldies music does play in the parking lot, but it never disturbed us at all in the room. We had a Deluxe King room on the 2nd floor. Note that there are no elevators if that's important to you.

The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. We brought our dog with us and the staff was dog-friendly. He got a treat and a charm for his collar along with lots of petting. In the room there was no dog bed, but that was okay.

The room: We had a King sized bed with magic fingers on each side - independently controlled. You can apparently set it to wake you up. I only think this because I must have set it by accident. Well, either that or I was fiddling with it as I slept! The AC worked well and there is a remote control. The room had a couch, a small refridgerator, Tv/remote, and a WII console. Despite what the website says, our room did not have streaming Netflix. Some of the rooms may have it, but not our room. The materials were well stocked (soap, tissue, shampoo, etc.). The room was clean but well used. The housekeepers we encountered were friendly and eager to help.

The area: This area is not like the touristy areas. It looks functional, but we had no trouble at all walking around there. In fact, the only temper we saw was from some guests that got to the motel after the parking lot was full. They were not pleased when told to park on the street down the way. It is within walking distance of the tourist areas, but the distance seems quite long when the temp is 100 degrees in full sun. Take water!!!!!!

There is no pool at this motel, but they do have a small dog run with chairs and a picnic table where you can let your dog run without a leash and do his business. I would recommend a trash recepticle in that area to contain the little gifts our pets leave. Bags were available in the lobby and for that I was thankful.

Room Tip: No elevators so if that's a problem ask for bottom floor. The one ice machine is in the far corn...
2  Thank Traveler7504
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2012

Thank you for your very thoughtful review! I am glad you were overall pleased with your experience. I am sorry the Netflix didn't stream. I am going to look into that today and see what happened.

You are right, we do need a waste receptacle for the pet waste. I ordered one just before writing this note to you. Thank you for the idea!

I hope you will come back again to see that we are constantly improving!

Reviewed 31 July 2012

Just spend four nights at the Thunderbird Inn, in Savannah GA. Great place to stay, clean rooms, within walking distance to everything we wanted to do in the historic district. The walk felt very safe. Mike the night clerk was very pleasant to deal with at our 1:00 am check in (gave up his parkings space since there was none available) he also had coffee and crispy cream donuts available for out 6:00 am check out four days later. Loved the retro feel & "green" aspects, no styrofoam cups or throw away samples. Full size bath gel, shampoos, and lotions in the room.

1  Thank cheryl m

Thank you for taking the time to leave a note about us. Mike is a great person to meet when you are checking in late! I am glad he made you feel welcome.

I am also pleased you noticed our efforts to be more "green"! We have a long ways to go, but we are trying! You mentioned you liked the retro... you should look up Travel Retro. They have a great collection of inns like ours.

Please stop in again,

Reviewed 31 July 2012

Great location and clean, comfortable rooms! The staff, everyone from the front desk to housekeeping, seem to love their jobs and love working here. Everyone was very nice and very helpful. We parked our car in the hotel parking lot (which is free, by the way) and walked everywhere in the historic district. We will DEFINITELY stay here again! Loved it!

1  Thank Renee Y

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about us! I love your title, I think we will use that! It is awesome that you caught the positive vibe of my staff. They are a fantastic crew who love taking care of our guests! Please come back again.

Reviewed 30 July 2012

My friend and I drove from Ontario Canada to Savannah and stayed at The Thunderbird for 3 nights. This was so worth it! The cost is very affordable, the rooms are clean (full pump dispensers in the shower!) and close enough to the historic distric. Also just around the corner from the trolley tour stops - very convenient for walking. All of the staff members were extremely helpful and pleasant and took the time to answer all our questions and gave us great recommendations on things to do and see. The ladies cleaning the rooms were great to chat with, they're so happy and we shared a few laughs with Shaun :)
this hotel is really retro and fun, the colours are great, funky music, and treats in the lobbly, it definitely has a personal family feel to it!
We reserved their mascot George Monk and took him on many adventures - what a blast that was! added another dimension to our trip and he introduced us to a lot of people :)
If I come back to Savannah, I'll be booking here!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank K C

Thank you for visiting us at the Thunderbird. I am glad you loved your stay and our mascot George was a wonderful host! I hope you have wonderful travels and you can come to Savannah again!

Reviewed 27 July 2012

My fiancee and I only had a couple of days to visit Savannah, didn't want to take a car and REALLY wanted something reasonably priced and close to the historic district. I stumbled on the Thunderbird Inn website and the retro design caught my attention. I was even more surprised when we rolled off the greyhound bus to discover the TI was right around the corner...walking distance. Given it was 108 when we arrived this was very, very good! Shana checked us in and she was very helpful with suggestions for places to eat and things to see. The TI is located a block from the SCAD museum and a couple blocks from the Telfair Museum. Better still it's on the eastern edge of the historic district which meant we could walk all the squares and to restaurants. We got a room on the first floor with a king sized bed. It was clean had a fridge and nice cool air conditioning (I did say it was 108 right)? It was clean and the moonpies, popcorn and lemonade were all complimentary. The place is a retro style hotel which is just perfect for people who want to get out and see the district. Complimentary breakfast with coffee, juice and krispy kreme donuts were a great way to start the morning (a little sugar and caffeine in the morning never hurts :)). All in all this place is great value for the money and you can't beat the location. We were a couple but we saw lots of families and this place is not rowdy and noisy late at night (we liked that).

Room Tip: There is no pool but there was no way to indicate that on the site. There is not "restaurant&qu...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about us!!! We appreciate the feedback and LOVE when it is positive. I am glad Shana took good care of you. I think it is cool that you are traveling by bus... what a great way to see the country!

Travel safe!

Reviewed 24 July 2012

We had a nice visit to the Thunderbird this Saturday night, a short visit to Savannah on our way back from Florida. While the party crowd was in full effect blocks away, the hotel was quiet and felt safe. Beds were well appointed and staff very friendly and accommodating. Great location for the price -- an easy walk to a day of wandering Savannah on foot, and they let us leave our car parked in the lot after checkout (saving us parking fees elsewhere in the historic district) and use the hotel lobby restrooms to freshen up before we hit the road later that day. Kids loved the doughnuts and moonpies and us grownups appreciated the better-than-average coffee. We will definitely return!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2012

Thank you for staying! I am happy you enjoyed your visit. Thank you for noticing our yummy coffee! Hope to see you again soon.