“Love the concept”

GreenLeadersGold level
Zurich / Switzerland
“Love the concept”
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I really thought the concept of revitalising the traditional Motel is excellent. And they certainly did well with reappointing the rooms - modern furniture and good amenities definitely make an old motel room look modern. The original, small bathroom was nice and clean. Still, the room lacked a bit of attention - some paint chipped from the wall, some stains here and there, nothing bad, but still... I really love the concept, but I am convinced that with little effort you could make this work even better.
The staff was most helpful and very, very friendly, location is excellent, close to everything and still not too noisy.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank maddog2000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2012

This 'vintage motel' is in a fabulous location right next to the visitor centre and near the History Museum. And when it says it is walking distance from the city centre, it really is, which was a lovely surprise! We had a fantastic time here, it is a spruced-up motel so don't expect luxury but the extra touches make it a great place to stay - themed toiletries, Krispy Kremes for breakfast and a fun atmosphere.

aurora, on
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Based on the reviews of this motel, my family and I were disappointed with our stay. We booked the room through one of the discounted websites where you do not know your hotel until you have paid. Upon our arrival, I was told that I had booked a room for 2 nights but after the desk clerk checked the paperwork, they realized that they had made a mistake (I booked 2 rooms for one night). Since there was no vacancy, their first reaction was to phone a different hotel to see if they had space but after insisting that we didn't want to be split up, that since we booked in advance and that all the guests had not arrived that we should get an available room and sort the situation out with someone who had booked more recently. They agree to this but gave my in-laws a single king which wasn't horrible but still not what was booked. The room my family got was next to the ice machine and stairs tucked into a corner; a bit noisy. The neighbourhood to the north has a bit to be desired since many windows were boarded up. The breakfast was not very family friendly and the main offering was the night before doughnuts. I wanted to like this place and if it hadn't have been for the mistake that was made, I would have enjoyed the experience more.

Room Tip: Do not choose room 105 since it is in a corner by the stairs and the ice machine; noisy...if looking...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, 8 October 2012
I am sorry we didn't wow you like we should have. I hate that the rooms wern't together from the start... That is a basic oversight that shouldn't have happened.

Mark
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I was a guest here on a single night in August. The room was at a great price at $107 and change for the evening. A friendly staff and clean rooms helped the deal. However two days after my stay, I notice my card had been charged an extra $125, bringing my total to $232 for a one night stay.

Upon investigation, I found this $125 fee was apparently for smoking in the room, and "pot residue" on the toilet, whatever that is. Since neither I, nor the person I was with smoke whatsoever, I find this to be completely unacceptable.

Even if that was the case, I was never informed of erroneous charges that could be levied for your conduct at this hotel. The hostess did tell me it was a no smoking room, but she did not explain any charges and there was no paperwork and no signage to inform a guest of this policy.

Altogether, I will never return to this hotel. Any establishment who conducts themselves in such a dishonest and underhanded manner should be ashamed.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank soverance
I am sorry you don't like our fees for smoking in the room. We charge these fees as a deterrent so the room is fresh for the next guest. We have a sign at the desk that points out the fee, and it is clearly spelled out on the registration card that every guest signs.

There are no secrets or hidden agendas.

I am sorry that we have lost you as a fan!

Mark
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 13 August 2012

I would recommend The Thunderbird Inn if you're looking to stay in the Historic District and you're on a tight budget. You really can't beat the location for the price. However, I would say to keep in mind that it's an old motel that's gotten some updates. The bathroom was pretty shabby (I don't believe they've replaced the tubs which appear largely grey instead of white but they give you a rubber bath mat which helps) and the carpet needed cleaning. Otherwise, it was a perfectly comfortable place to spend the night, especially since we weren't looking for any kind of luxury. All of the staff members were very nice and helpful. They suggested good places to eat that were unique to Savannah and helped us out with a noon check out when normal check out is 11. One warning on late check outs is that anything after noon costs $30 and that's only for an extra couple of hours.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Thank you for staying with us! I am glad you met your needs at the price you wanted to pay while in Savannah. I am sorry the carpets were not as clean as they should have been. We clean them at a minimum of every two weeks. With all of the rain, they get dingy faster!

I am glad the staff pointed you to some good locations around our cool city! Please come back and visit again.

Miami, Florida, United States
Reviewed 13 August 2012

My friend and I stayed here for one night during a week-long road trip. Great price, GREAT staff, great room, great location, GREAT FIND! No pets in our party, but that did not matter one bit. Room was comfy and cozy - not rundown in the least. And we definitely appreciated those donuts in the morning - ha! :)

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sarah B
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Sara,

Thank you for the note! Glad you loved it here. I hope you will stop by again! Gotta love those Krispy Kreme Doughnuts!

Amesbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 August 2012

My two daughters and I drove from Massachusetts (with our dog) to visit Savannah for a history/ghost tour. We were so happy to have discovered the Thunderbird! When we arrived, after two long days of driving, the room was nice and cool and spotless. The dog was thrilled to have a big comfy bed and treats waiting for him! The staff arranged tour and dinner reservations, and the retro feel was the icing on the cake (or should I say on the Krispy Kreme Donut). The coffee was real (not dark water), and again can't say enough about the staff!!
The rooms come complete with fridge, and great bath products. Only regret: we couldn't stay longer...but we will be back!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Glad to hear you had a nice time with us! Did you pooch get to use the pet run? It is awesome the staff took good care of you. Thank you for taking the time for the wonderful words!