“Great Stay”

GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We enjoyed our stay from check in through check out. The building is definitely older (50th anniversary), but was well maintained, decor kept within the period. Our room was very clean and the quietest that we've experienced anywhere and we slept well. The staff was great. I asked about popcorn late in the evening and it was made just for us. The evening clerk went beyond with being helpful. Yes, we'd definitely stay again.

Room Tip: We only had access to our room (223) which was above the office. We had NO noise and that was wonder...
1 Thank pkgrunke

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

First a few positives. The hotel is in a great spot with easy access for driving around, or walking. We walked everywhere in the city and felt safe even walking late at night. There are some not so good parts just across the street, but every place has those areas. The moonpies and RC cola is a nice touch, and the wifi was reliable.

I've never understood having white towels and sheets, as almost all of them had stains and were not like new. The cleanliness was average as they clearly vacuum and wipe things down, but if you look up you'll notice the high dusting isn't keep up with. Our TV, only 1/2 of the channels came in, but not a huge issue as we just had it on at night for a few minutes before bed.
I checked in on 5/27/14 and had to wait a few minutes after ringing the bell for anyone to great us. The check in was quick, and the young girl was friendly...but didn't offer any of the "fun tips" or give the vibe the website suggested. The next day, we drove out to Tybee Island-only about 25 minutes away with great beaches that weren't crowded. We had dinner plans with friends and headed back at 3:15, arriving back at the hotel around 3:45. Knowing we would need more towels, I stopped back down at the desk and waited as the employee was on the phone dealing with a guest checkin. It was clear she was frustrated, and so was the other guest, so I waited and had small talk with him as she left with a maintenance man. She returned after a few minutes and began to help the guest in front of me, then realized I was standing there. She asked if I needed something, and I said we just needed two new bath towels. She wrote down my room number, and said she would bring them up. By this time, I had been down there nearly 15 minutes. When I returned to the room, my friend hung up the phone with a concerned look on her face- we had no hot water, they were aware of the issue, but it should be back on within 30 minutes.

Having just left the front desk, where she had just called, and I asked for towels, why didn't the employee say anything to me? No big deal, we brushed as much sand off as we could, and sat in chairs and periodically tested the water. Almost an hour later, the water seemed to be working, so my friend jumped into the shower. While still putting soap in her hair, the water shut off. She then had to wait in a towel with soap dripping off her for another 20 minutes. Frustrated, I emailed the manager, as the only number we had went to the front desk. Within a few minutes the employee called the room to ask if I had asked for towels...she forgot to bring them. I said yes and 5 minutes later she showed up. She still never mentioned anything about the water to me, which was strange. At almost 5:30 the water was back on and working.

I have yet to hear back from the manager, or any employee about this. At any point, someone should have at least said "sorry for the inconvenience," but nothing. By Thursday, we started noticing even more issues. The front seemed to be always under staffed. The phones would ring, and me standing there or other guests had to simply wait. Yes, they had Krispy Kream's for breakfast, but couldn't keep up with plates, mugs, or even the coffee. When we asked for anything, even to make purchases, the employees made us feel like we were inconveniencing them.

Room Tip: All rooms have road noise, and from the bus station across the street.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ralph David F
Newmarket, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

We arrived a bit early and couldn't check in immediately, which was no problem. The woman at the Reception desk was lovely - so friendly and accommodating. However when we returned to check-in, the woman at Reception was rude, unfriendly and we were clearly bothering her. The rooms (we had 3) were average but one of the bed cover lets was dirty and/or stained. We asked for a blanket at Reception - which was a huge inconvenience to Miss Unfriendly and when we reported that the blanket had a huge hole in the middle she said there was nothing she could do! All the hype on the website about fabulous toiletries is odd - they are cheap and not nice. In fact there was no soap or shower gel to be found in 2 of our 3 rooms. What a bother it was to GET some! Krispy Kremes and coffee were nice. If it wasn't for the great customer service of one of the 3 Reception team (Lesley) it would have been a horrible experience. I appreciate it is a 'budget' hotel, but friendly and courteous doesn't cost anything!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 1MoreMoet
Knoxville, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

The location is excellent - walking distance to just about everything downtown. The price was much cheaper than anything else in the area. We stayed here based on a local family member's recommendation, but we won't be staying again.

The parking lot is terrible. Unless you have a compact car, you'll barely fit in the parking spots...same for all of the other guests which means it's nearly impossible to get in and out of your car in the parking lot. On top of that, the parking lot was full when we returned to the hotel after dinner. We ended up parking in city parking a block away. In the mornings, the parking lot was chaotic since people ended up parking in the center of the parking lot (see photo for an example). The parking lot actually has lines in the center for people to park there, but there is *zero* chance anyone else can back out of their parking spots if someone parks in the center so you're stuck waiting on all of the cars in the middle to clear out.

Our room was ok. The size of the room was just fine - plenty of space to bring in our bikes overnight & there was a little desk for working. The bed was springy, but it got the job done. The AC worked great and kept the room nice and cool. The towels were cheap, but worked fine although one had a huge red stain on it. The toiletries are in hand pumps that are attached to the wall. Our handsoap dispenser was empty and our shampoo dispenser was full, but the pump was broken...since it was attached to the wall, there was no way to get the shampoo out. The wifi was unusable - all of our devices could see the wifi network, but we were only able to get a device to join two times over the three days we were there. The rooms were pretty noisy, but it's basically a motel so we were expecting that going in.

We stayed because of the location, the price, and a family member's recommendation, but we wouldn't stay there again. The family member that recommended it had a very positive experience staying there a year ago, but our experience was quite different.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Adam B
kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

For the price it can't be beat. Perfect location, quirky rooms and the refreshments (lemonade & Krispy Kremes) in the lobby can't be beat. The staff was also wonderful! Would absolutely stay here again. However...if you're looking for romance, peace and privacy you should look elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Savannah, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

I was very excited to stay at the Thunderbird because it was a vintage hotel, and they advertised such a great experience for my dog...Well when we checked in the girl at the front desk acted like we were disturbing her, and the great dog stuff was a small plastic bag with a tag, 2 bones, and a poop bag. There are no dog bowls, no pet beds, very disappointing, as this was one of the main reasons I chose this hotel. The room is old, which I expected, but with that being said I thought it would be spotless to make up for the old factor...wrong again... their are spots on the sheets, dirt marks on the blankets, and crumbs on the floor...I haven't made it into the bathroom yet so lets go take a look....ok so not as bad as I thought but not good...there is hair on the floor and a brown spot...not like a water spot, but something else...I really don't want to know what it is. Oh and the shampoo and conditioner that look so cute on their website aren't even here...they have 3 pumps on the wall in the shower that they refill....I will not stay here again as I just checked in, have been here only 20 minutes and am already counting down till I can get out....If I could afford to go somewhere else I would, but since they won't refund your money I guess I am stuck for the next 3 nights....I recommend you spend a little more and move onto something nicer...it will be worth it in the long run...drive by to take a look at the vintage hotel, and then keep on going to the hotel you want to stay at....cause it is definitely not this one. Oh yeah it is also really load from the traffic driving by outside...the giant bus station is across the street...

5 Thank MarleyJ83
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Please reach out to me. I hate that you had this experience. mark@thethunderbirdinn.com

Mark Thomas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

You can't beat the location of The Thunderbird Inn. It is within walking distance to all the major sights to see in Savannah. The place is a bit dated and the bathrooms are pretty tiny, but for the price it is still good. I enjoyed getting the RC cola and Moonpies when we checked it, and enjoyed the Krispy Kreme donuts in the morning. (The Coffee/Donuts Area was a bit of a mess each morning though) I would definitely recommend this place for people who are conscious of their budget.