“Retro and comfortable”

The Thunderbird Inn
Ranked #34 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Spent a night here and found the room to be clean and comfortable. Staff was friendly and helpful. Not too far from the riverfront and an easy walk to restaurants and bars. Enjoyed the moon pies and rc colas and the classic funky tunes playing outside. Would stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Greg R
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you for the review! I'm glad you spent a night with us and had the opportunity to experience the retro touches! I hope your travels will bring you here again! If you love retro, you should look up TravelRetro!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I booked online and received an immediate email confirmation (double-checked it at that time to make sure the dates were correct). I called a few days before our stay just to make sure all was still good and it was. Arrived and checked in without any issue.

The location is perfectly situated on the edge of the Historic District...close enough for easy walkability but not directly located where throngs of people are always milling about. Our parking fee was 5 USD per night, which was drastically cheaper than most other properties in the Historic District. It does look like it could get hairy if someone was actually parked behind you in one of the "middle" spaces (see picture from another review), but no car parked in those spaces the whole time we were there.

Our room was what you should expect for a motel at this price point: Clean, big enough to walk around in, functioning bathroom, working A/C (and presumably heat, should we have needed it), etc. This is not the Ritz, so don't be shocked if the mark on the wall left by last month's guest is still there or that the TV isn't a flat panel with 300 channels.

All in all, this was a nice stay and I wouldn't have any hesitation to book again if we're ever back in Savannah.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank skinnypez10

Thank you for spending time with with us! I am glad you enjoyed your experience with us! I hope you will come to Savannah and the Thunderbird Inn again!

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

I have to say, while planning this trip I was SUPER excited to be staying here. So excited, I had the couple we were meeting book their room here as well! We were to stay two nights and the four of us (who hadn't seen each other in months) were ready for an amazing weekend!

They arrived before us, and I wanted to check in and get settled in our room before we went to theirs. WELL, TOO BAD! They booked our room for the wrong date! I even called two days before to confirm, which they did..I asked for another confirmation email and AGAIN I never got it. (Also, my friend never got hers either and she also called for another one).

The point to all of this really is - I get it. Mistakes happen. But the way the situation was handled was HORRIBLE. They lady at the front desk had obviously not been trained to handle situations like this, because she had no idea at all what to do. I asked her to speak to a manager, she then called and I spoke to Leslie. Leslie basically in so many words let me know there was nothing she could do until the next day when she came in to work. They couldn't even refund my money (which I had paid in full) THANK GOD I DIDNT NEED IT FOR MY TRIP OR TO BOOK ANOTHER HOTEL. She then ARGUED with me about the dates, saying that it was me that made the mistake, not them. OH!!! They charged me $2.50 for canceling my reservations (WHAT!?!?) I asked Leslie, while on the phone with her if the girl at the desk could help me find a room, Leslie talked to her and the lady said she would call around to find us a room, which deemed impossible seeing as it was a Saturday at 7.

I told her that I was going to my friends room, and when she found a room, to call the room to let us know. The four of us made call after call after call to other hotels in the area. We finally found one (which by the way for only $50 more a night, we had a view of the river and were on the seventh floor, it was VERY CLEAN and worth every extr penny). I went to call the desk to let her know we found a room, AND THERE WAS NO PHONE!!!! I walked to the desk and the girl was just staring off into space, NOT DOING A THING!!

Basically, it was a horrible experience, the staff lacked any kind of sympathy and weren't helpful and if anything, they were argumentative and wanted to make the situation MY problem. HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE.

Oh, also..because I was able to go inside my friends room, I am able to say - the carpets had several stains all over especially by the front door, sink and entering the bathroom, the bathroom was so small that it was hard to close the door, the beds were uncomfortable. It seems like someone bought a dumpy, run down motel and threw a coat of paint on the outside, gave it a catchy name and threw some moon pies on the pillows and called it a day.

Don't let these people fool you into thinking they are the "hippest" in town. For a bit more money, you can be much closer to the river and City Market, with a cleaner room, and much much much friendlier, more professional staff. I am still totally in disbelief in the way the entire situation was handled, especially by Leslie who ARGUED with me saying it was my mistake and insisted that she had to charge the $2.50 - which made me laugh because it was so ridiculous. Please, please don't spend your money in this dump!

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank pillowheadgerl
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

I am truly sorry you had a bad experience. I have researched your reservation and see where you made the reservation and the confirmation was sent. I also see where you called back for a new confirmation letter two weeks after the reservation was booked.
We never want to get a date wrong. That is why we send our confirmations at the time of booking. I hate that our staff couldn't calm you down, they all tried had to make a bad situation better.

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

The manager Mark really went out of his way to make sure I was a happy customer. If you have a problem of any sort just go to him or Leslie, they will fix it right away. They don't make customer service like that anymore. I appreciate that. Will definitely be back.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Danaray79

Thank you very much!

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Doors did not lock in our first three rooms. The room smelled of over used febreeze. The cleaning crew woke us up talking really loud outside our room on day one. Day two the woke us up walking in the room early without knocking. Did not clean our room in between.

The desk staff very nice. Donuts were good.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Usontherode

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. I am glad that you enjoyed the krispy kreme doughnuts; they are always fresh and delicious! I am also pleased our desk staff was pleasant.
I hate hearing that the housekeeping staff was loud. I find that rude and inconsiderate. I talk with them about that all of the time. I will keep working with them to understand that guests are on vacation and can sleep late. We also have conversations about the amount of fragrance for a room. I am sorry they missed this.
As far as the doors, we recently had new gaskets retrofitted. We are chasing the doors that are giving us trouble but that changes with the humility, rain, sun, etc. We are trying to find the right balance.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

weekend trip for a friends wedding, staff extremely friendly and helpful! Leslie and Crystal @ the desk and Candice & ladies of cleaning staff; remolding rooms, our mattress was new, drove to River Street but there are plenty of parking garages 1 street back on Bay Street and you can easily walk from there - saw other reviews, can't please everybody - would stay here again because of the friendly staff and cleanliness

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank r v

Thank you for staying with us. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to Savannah and the Thunderbird Inn! I am pleased that the staff made you feel welcome and took good care of you. I hope your travels will bring you to Savannah again soon!

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Groovy and retro describe this cool hotel! Rooms were super clean and very spacious. I loved the moon pie and RC cola waiting on us on the nightstand. Staff was very courteous and helpful. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you so much for staying with us! I'm glad you had an awesome experience in Savannah and at the Tbird. Do you have a favorite flavor of Moonpie? I look forward to having you back soon!