“Don't Bother”

The Thunderbird Inn
Ranked #35 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I visited Savannah on a mother/daughter trip and was looking forward to the Thunderbird based on the reviews and their website. Unfortunately, my enthusiasm was short-lived. This was a glamorized motel without the glam. The room was on the ground floor and undesirable characters were lurking about. We didn't feel safe. Additionally, the room was dingy and dirty. The white bedspreads have gone gray and there was hair (plural) n the bathroom floor. We checked out 5 min. after checking in and I was still charged $150.

• Stayed: July 2014
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

I have left you a message on your phone. There are some discrepancies I want to work out with you.

Mark Thomas

Write a ReviewReviews (1,736)

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Great find with great location. Independently owned with all of the small touches that you'd never find in a chain. Krispy Kreme breakfast! Great, helpful desk service. Genuine retro aesthetic, not faux retro chic. Real deal. Great for the young traveller or a family.

2  Thank LonelyTravelDk

Thank you for loving our authentic retro! I hope you come back and see us again. If you love retro, check out TravelRetro. They have a great collection of inns like ours.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Hoping for funky-cool experience as advertised ... just got funk. Might be a cute idea and very sweet people, but cant recommend staying here. What's part of 'renovated' leaves filthy carpets in place, bed pretty worn out and stained linens? Wi-fi too weak and slow to matter.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank AC W
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear A,
Thank you so much for your time on the phone today. I am pleased that the silver lining to your bad experience was our outstanding staff. I was sure to pass on your compliments to each of them.
I also wanted to reiterate that I really appreciate your feedback. I take it seriously. All of your critiques are in the process of being resolved and in most rooms are a non issue. It seems that you're room was the perfect storm of mistakes. I wish you would have given our staff the opportunity to move you so you could see that it was a fluke.
I hope in the future you will give us another opportunity.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Loved the RETRO look of hotel. Bed was very comfortable. Hotel close to all major attraction. Great price compared to other hotels in area. loved delicious krispy kreme doughnuts. Loved the toiletries attached to the wall unfortunately they were not for sale. Music playing in parking lot was a treat.

Room Tip: Keep in mind this is not the Marriott. But a pleasant unique experience.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank czb00
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you for the review! I'm glad you love the toiletries. They are for sale , we are just out currently. They are ordered! they can be purchased on our website. If you love retro, check out TravelRetro.

Thank you again!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Spent a night here and found the room to be clean and comfortable. Staff was friendly and helpful. Not too far from the riverfront and an easy walk to restaurants and bars. Enjoyed the moon pies and rc colas and the classic funky tunes playing outside. Would stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Greg R

Thank you for the review! I'm glad you spent a night with us and had the opportunity to experience the retro touches! I hope your travels will bring you here again! If you love retro, you should look up TravelRetro!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I booked online and received an immediate email confirmation (double-checked it at that time to make sure the dates were correct). I called a few days before our stay just to make sure all was still good and it was. Arrived and checked in without any issue.

The location is perfectly situated on the edge of the Historic District...close enough for easy walkability but not directly located where throngs of people are always milling about. Our parking fee was 5 USD per night, which was drastically cheaper than most other properties in the Historic District. It does look like it could get hairy if someone was actually parked behind you in one of the "middle" spaces (see picture from another review), but no car parked in those spaces the whole time we were there.

Our room was what you should expect for a motel at this price point: Clean, big enough to walk around in, functioning bathroom, working A/C (and presumably heat, should we have needed it), etc. This is not the Ritz, so don't be shocked if the mark on the wall left by last month's guest is still there or that the TV isn't a flat panel with 300 channels.

All in all, this was a nice stay and I wouldn't have any hesitation to book again if we're ever back in Savannah.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank skinnypez10

Thank you for spending time with with us! I am glad you enjoyed your experience with us! I hope you will come to Savannah and the Thunderbird Inn again!

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

I have to say, while planning this trip I was SUPER excited to be staying here. So excited, I had the couple we were meeting book their room here as well! We were to stay two nights and the four of us (who hadn't seen each other in months) were ready for an amazing weekend!

They arrived before us, and I wanted to check in and get settled in our room before we went to theirs. WELL, TOO BAD! They booked our room for the wrong date! I even called two days before to confirm, which they did..I asked for another confirmation email and AGAIN I never got it. (Also, my friend never got hers either and she also called for another one).

The point to all of this really is - I get it. Mistakes happen. But the way the situation was handled was HORRIBLE. They lady at the front desk had obviously not been trained to handle situations like this, because she had no idea at all what to do. I asked her to speak to a manager, she then called and I spoke to Leslie. Leslie basically in so many words let me know there was nothing she could do until the next day when she came in to work. They couldn't even refund my money (which I had paid in full) THANK GOD I DIDNT NEED IT FOR MY TRIP OR TO BOOK ANOTHER HOTEL. She then ARGUED with me about the dates, saying that it was me that made the mistake, not them. OH!!! They charged me $2.50 for canceling my reservations (WHAT!?!?) I asked Leslie, while on the phone with her if the girl at the desk could help me find a room, Leslie talked to her and the lady said she would call around to find us a room, which deemed impossible seeing as it was a Saturday at 7.

I told her that I was going to my friends room, and when she found a room, to call the room to let us know. The four of us made call after call after call to other hotels in the area. We finally found one (which by the way for only $50 more a night, we had a view of the river and were on the seventh floor, it was VERY CLEAN and worth every extr penny). I went to call the desk to let her know we found a room, AND THERE WAS NO PHONE!!!! I walked to the desk and the girl was just staring off into space, NOT DOING A THING!!

Basically, it was a horrible experience, the staff lacked any kind of sympathy and weren't helpful and if anything, they were argumentative and wanted to make the situation MY problem. HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE.

Oh, also..because I was able to go inside my friends room, I am able to say - the carpets had several stains all over especially by the front door, sink and entering the bathroom, the bathroom was so small that it was hard to close the door, the beds were uncomfortable. It seems like someone bought a dumpy, run down motel and threw a coat of paint on the outside, gave it a catchy name and threw some moon pies on the pillows and called it a day.

Don't let these people fool you into thinking they are the "hippest" in town. For a bit more money, you can be much closer to the river and City Market, with a cleaner room, and much much much friendlier, more professional staff. I am still totally in disbelief in the way the entire situation was handled, especially by Leslie who ARGUED with me saying it was my mistake and insisted that she had to charge the $2.50 - which made me laugh because it was so ridiculous. Please, please don't spend your money in this dump!

2  Thank pillowheadgerl
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

I am truly sorry you had a bad experience. I have researched your reservation and see where you made the reservation and the confirmation was sent. I also see where you called back for a new confirmation letter two weeks after the reservation was booked.
We never want to get a date wrong. That is why we send our confirmations at the time of booking. I hate that our staff couldn't calm you down, they all tried had to make a bad situation better.