“I was extremely dissapointed.”

The Thunderbird Inn
Ranked #33 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 October 2009

I chose this motel because it was the cheapest alternative that was the closest to our walking tour meeting place. I thought it would be fine because I spoke with someone personally that stayed here previously and she had a good experience. The location was convenient to all the things we wanted to see, but the bus station creeped us out a little bit. We checked into the hotel and got our room keys and went to our room. When we got in our room we immediately dropped our bags, changed clothes, and walked to a restaurant for dinner. So we didn't take the time to check out the room to make sure it was really clean. We should have done that, but we were excited to be there and we expected everything to be perfectly clean. When we returned later that night I decided to take a shower. The subway tile in the shower is a very nice touch. What was not nice was the hair on the shower wall, and it was not just one hair, it was about seven. The floor tile in the bathroom is also very dingy and I really did not want to touch it with my bare feet. I also felt that way about the stained carpet in the rest of the room. After my shower I was getting in bed and I pulled back the covers to find small pieces of dirt and dried grass on the sheets. It was like the sheets were not washed between stays. I also found a small, rust colored stain, which I assumed to be blood on one of the pillow cases. I was too tired to complain so I just brushed out the bed as best I could and threw the stained pillow to the floor. The bed was very comfortable and I slept great, however my mom did not. She said there were fire trucks and police cars riding by with there sirens on at all hours of the night and she found it very difficult to stay asleep. When she got up the next morning and made coffee, she found the coffee cups to be very dirty. We decided to go down to the "hot" complimentary breakfast and found doughnuts and coffee. We were expecting a little more, but we just let it go. I guess the coffee counts as the "hot" part of the breakfast. It would have been fine had we known the reality of it in advance, but the website says there are hot items available. When there is an S on the end of a word like item I expect for there to be more than one hot item and I don't expect for coffee to be counted as one of the items. I really regret not complaining, but I work in the service industry and I hate complainers and I didn't want to be one of "those people". I will not stay here again, nor will I recommend it to any of my friends or family. In fact, if they say they are going to Savannah I will be sure to tell them to not stay at the Thunderbird Inn. Next time I go Savannah I will pay forty or fifty more dollars to stay at a nice, clean hotel. One suggestion I do have is to the management staff: Check behind your maid every day and every room, or hire a trustworthy staff that really take pride in their work and do a good job every time. Even then, you should check behind them randomly just to be sure.

• Stayed: October 2009
1  Thank jennGeorgia
tbirdmanager, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2013

I hate reading this! If you reach out to me mark@thethunderbirdinn.com I would love to talk to you further about it!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,736)

Reviewed 30 September 2009

I would definately recommend this hotel. The location is excellent (5 min walk into the centre of town) and ask about any deals going as we got the third night free. The staff were really helpful (they gave us a map and also a list of recommended bars, restaurants etc). I also liked the little additions like quirky-named bath gel and shampoo which made it stand out from the 'same-same' feel of many of the US hotel chains.
Regarding the included breakfast (Krispy Kreme donuts).... my tip is get there early if you actually want one!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2009

Sure I could say how nice the sheets are at the Thunderbird (which they are) but what I’d rather express is the motivation behind choosing a hotel like this one. In the homogenized, look-alike, big corporate hotel world we live in, rarely do we patronize the small, individual, and out-of-step places like the Thunderbird. These gems may make us nervous—I mean; we know what the Marriott looks like, after all. But for the adventurous souls who seek out the independent thinking businesses in our own towns, what better way to see a new city than to do the same when we travel?

The Thunderbird IS cool, with responsive and personalized service, the kind where you know that the owner is just a step or two away from the guy at the desk. But staying here makes you feel like you might just be one of those cool arty college students you see everywhere in Savannah, and that you probably are more important to the Thunderbird folks than you are to the big chains, even if you do carry their affinity card in your wallet.

Try the Thunderbird, and recall those adventurous days when hotel rooms weren’t all so cookie-cutter corporate.

1  Thank Sarah_in_SC
thunderbird611, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2009

Thank you for your very kind and inspiring email! Everything you wrote about is what we strive for everyday. Please come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed 22 September 2009

We spent last weekend at the Thunderbird Inn, Savannah. It is dumpy on the outside - and has a veneer of cleanliness / charm on the inside. The staff was friendly. The breakfast is now ONLY doughnuts and coffee. The Greyhound bus station is directly across the street. The vending machines smell like urine. They play 50's music from a loudspeaker at all hours. The room had what we needed, but with everything else I've mentioned - it was all we could do just to laugh and say, "oh well... at least the beds feel comfortable!" We won't be returning. We would rather spend $50 more a night and stay a a truly "nice" hotel. We paid $123 w tax.

1  Thank justonetaste203

Dear guest,

I’m sorry we only “served the purpose”. That disappoints me. I would love to talk to you about your experience and review. Our goal isn’t to be a high-end stuffy hotel, but we surely want to at least hit “nice”. I’m sorry the music wasn’t turned down in the evening. It is to be turned down by 9pm so it doesn’t disturb our guests. This is a new addition to our hotel and I will stress the importance of having the music turned down.
There are a lot of preconceived emotions that go along with hotels of our style. What was once an icon of the glory days of Americana becomes rundown, seedy, and, to use your words, “dumpy”.
We are one of the few exceptions. Our hotel is restored to its original look and colors; the landscaping is in a state of ongoing improvement; and the quality of our staff, fixtures, and cleanliness are more than veneers.
The bus station across the street is a minor detraction, but SCAD surrounding us and our proximity to the trolleys and downtown are a plus.

Please contact me at the hotel so we can discuss your stay. You can also email me at mark@thethunderbirdinn.com.

Reviewed 21 September 2009

Probably never would have stayed at the Thunderbird, but my sister had a 2 night stay gift certificate. I'd seen it many times, but the location is somewhat out of the way from the main historic district, especially if you don't have a car. That being said, I was VERY surprised at the cleanliness of the room, the quality of the beds (simmons beauty-rest) and of the bathroom fixtures. High quality for a "motel" class. We also called to inform the front desk that we would need a late check in. They inquired at approximately what time we would arrive and had the bed turned down and the ice bucket filled when we got there. I've stayed in MANY hotels, including resort class, and have never had a full ice bucket at check in, it was a pleasant surprise. Staff was very helpful, cooperative, and knowledgeable. Unlike most motels they also offered a full complimentary of toiletries and had real glassware and ceramic logo mugs as opposed to plastic or paper. A plus - less than 1 block from a major site-seeing trolley ticketing/pickup location. Negative - across the street from Greyhound Station, although we had NO problems whatsoever. The advertiesed price on the web is quite high, especially for no pool and location, but if you can get a good deal, $75 or less, I'd recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pinkmetal

It is nice when our certificates are used by a non-believer! I’m glad you get to enjoy the turndown service upon your late arrival! That is one way that we set ourselves apart from the pack. The “real” glass and ceramic in the rooms is something that only high end hotels do. Anymore, even the mid priced chains only offer disposables. Our toiletries are custom made for our hotel; I hope you enjoyed the fragrance and quality of these products! Please come back and see us again!

Reviewed 19 September 2009

We spent a long weekend in Savannah, booked a room at the Thunderbird Inn, and were welcomed by Nick at the front desk. Nick was most helpful, supplying us with maps, suggested great restaurants, and things to do while we were there. He was very friendly, and a valuable resource to us, as this was our first time in Savannah. The hotel is located within walking distance of everything. We parked the car in the onsite lot, and did not get back in it until checkout. Thank you for a great experience!

1  Thank NcTraveler21

Thank you for staying with us! I’m pleased Nick took care of you. I hope he pointed you to some of our great establishments that are a little off the beaten path! We spend a lot of time learning the city’s fun and quirky spots as well as the traditional favorites! We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 17 September 2009

The Thunderbird Inn is located really close to most of the SCAD dorms so it is a snap to help move your student in. The motel is on the edges of the historic district so it is a short walk to many of the local restaurants and sightseeing attractions. The rooms are clean and have cable & internet access. They offer a light continental breakfast; the breakfast has changed since the first time I stayed there (this was my third stay here). The earlier options were more diverse...danish, muffins, bagels, fruit, and cereal, with coffee, tea, juice, and milk to drink. Unfortunately, the offering this last September was Krispy Kreme donuts as well as the above named drinks. Not good if you need to watch your sugar intake! For breakfast I would recommend going to Clary's Cafe on Abercorn Street. I got a great breakfast there. Overall, the Thunderbird Inn is a good place to stay. The staff is friendly and helpful and you can not beat the location and room rates.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business

We love our SCAD family! I enjoy getting to know you all over the years that your child is going to school. I want to make sure you keep coming back and make us your Savannah home!

We did change away from more variety to Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, coffee, and juice. We felt that Krispy Kreme is a nostalgic southern staple that we wanted to offer. Clary's is a great restaurant to have breakfast at. I also enjoy Huey's on River Street.

I look forward to seeing you on your next visit to SCAD.