Let me start off by saying that I'm a fairly young person in my mid-twenties and like busy cities and people (I live blocks from the Sears Tower in downtown Chicago) but the noise and hotel clientele was too much for me to handle.
My boyfriend and I stayed in Savannah over St Patrick's Day weekend (unintentionally) and selected the Thunderbird Inn based on the price and good reviews. While we were aware of the bus depot across the street we didn't think the ambient noise would bother us, boy were we wrong. We were put in a room near the stairs and ice machine and soon realized that we were sandwiched in between two large groups of obnoxious partying college students. We anticipated that they might pose an issue that night and asked management to move us to a quieter area but because of the holiday weekend they had nowhere else to move us.
After a night of dinner and drinks (hotel is a 10-15 minute walk to the historic city center) we returned to our hotel at 12:30 AM and were in bed by 1 AM. Shortly after falling asleep we were woken up by the rowdy groups of partiers returning "home" we figured that they would settle down eventually and just tried to deal with it. We were WRONG. Between constantly revving the engine of their trucks/SUVs, pouring beverages off the upstairs balcony, getting ice from the vending machine and throwing it at people, the group on the second floor yelling to the group across the parking lot, watching pornography on the TV with the volume turned up so high we thought the video shoot was going on in our bathroom, and running up and down the stairs we thought that we were sleeping in the middle of a redneck monster truck rally. At 2 AM I finally called the front desk, the manager came out and spoke to the groups and they were quiet for about 20 minutes and then started up again, at 3 AM the manager came out again and told them to be quiet, again that lasted about 20 minutes and they started it up again. They finally lost steam at around 3:30 AM and I was able to sleep for about 5 hours but apparently some idiots are morning people and the hooping and hollering started all over again.
Suffice to say we declined to stay a second night and found a quieter (and more expensive) place to stay but not before witnessing (smelling) an RV dispose of their waste tank and walking through a cloud of marijuana smoke.
The hotel has a cute/retro vibe, the bed is super comfortable and the parking is free but the hotel's inexpensive rates draws all the idiots to the yard and you would be better off camping on the side of the road than dealing with reactive (rather than proactive) staff and unruly clientele.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Meet-up at our delightfully quirky motel where refined Savannah's so-historic location and so-hip eccentricities hook up. Discounted Savannah lodging was never so much fun! Hotel rates include Moon Pies and Krispy Kreme donuts! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your The Thunderbird Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Thunderbird Hotel Savannah
- Thunderbird Hotel Savannah