“Great value, neat place!”

The Thunderbird Inn
Ranked #34 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 1 July 2010

The Thunderbird is the coolest budget friendly motel, I've every stayed in. At around $100/night with a great location off of Oglethorpe and MLK-you can't beat it. It's an open motel style place that has been fixed up to be very retro.

The bed was super comfortable and the A/C unit was better than most that I've had in fine hotels. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The parking is free and easily accessible. We were able to parking directly in front of our room door the entire trip. There is a complimentary coffee, juice bar and donuts in the morning, which was very nice.

It's certainly not a fine hotel but it's very comfortable and easy on the wallet. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there and upon returning to Savannah, we will stay there again!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,735)

Reviewed 14 June 2010

Picked Thunderbird Inn as one of the few budget options close to the Historic district in Savannah and wasn‘t disappointed. What makes it stand out is its uniqueness. It is an original 1950s Motel that plays rock’n roll music in the car park. It offers free parking and if you are prepared to walk, in only a couple of blocks you’ll be in the heart of Savannah. The rooms while nothing flash were clean, comfortable and roomy with free internet access. Breakfast was free doughnuts in a small sit down area next to the reception area, but if you are after something more substantial just head downtown. Spent 2 nights here and would happily stay again

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2010

I think this motel is a great value for the price, given its close proximity to downtown. My Mom and I stayed for 3 nights for my daughter's college graduation. We were able to walk to the graduation, restaurants, and other attractions. The place was built in the '60's I think, so the bathrooms are a little small, but the rooms are fully renovated and quite nice (especially for the price). The people were very friendly every time I spoke to them.

Reviewed 20 May 2010

We arrived at the Thunderbird Inn around noon, not really expecting our room would be available. The young lady at the front desk went to check and we were given a room. She was very helpful and provided directions to several Savannah sites. Later that evening we received a call that my companion's mother had been taken to the hospital. I informed the young man at the front desk that we had to leave. He was very understanding and said there would not be any charge for the room, even though we had used some of the towels. I was, of course, very pleased, and hope to stay at the Thunderbird Inn if I have the opportunity to visit Savannah again.

Reviewed 16 May 2010

Hotel is in what I would consider to be a bad section of town. Parking is very limited and overflow parking is about block from hotel. Room needs an update- walls a little beat up, burn hole in curtain, etc. No safe in the room and no security latch/ lock on the room door. Lots of cars coming in and out of parking lot and people hanging out in the parking lot...seemed kind of sketchy. Just not at all what we expected or hoped for.

The front desk staff was absolutely awesome though!

Reviewed 10 May 2010

We stayed here May 3 through 6 and couldn't have been happier with it. The location is great - close enough to walk to the Historic District/River/Tour Trolleys, yet at least half the price for what you get. The rooms are clean, with just about everything you need. The beds are incredibly comfortable. Our room was on the ground floor right by the street, and if you don't have your AC/Heat unit on, you will hear the street noise - wasn't a problem for us. The 60's music was not loud at all, and the employees will turn it down if it is disturbing. NO, it doesn't offer a FULL continental breakfast, but you have coffee, juice and donuts to tide you over. If you want a full breakfast, you can stay at a place that does and drive farther or pay more. Great breakfasts are close enough. The neighborhood is safe, the staff very accomodating and helpful, and I don't think you can find a better spot in Savannah that gives you the value. It's NOT a resort, but a comfy, easy to access, friendly place. Of course stuff goes on at any hotel, and I'm sorry if others had a bad experience with lots of noise, or rowdy students, but that is the exception. There was a group of SCAD prospective students from France when we were there and were loud when in the parking lot - otherwise, I never heard them. It's not for everyone, but it was perfect for us. Glad to see this old throwback was rehabbed, and isn't that what Savannah is all about - preserving the past? Go there and have a blast!

Reviewed 28 April 2010

I had read the prior reviews of this hotel so that is why I chose it, the hotel was easy to find, very conveniet to the historic district and was very charming from the outside. Both people I dealt with when checking in were very nice and professional.

However, there were a couple of things that didn't go so smooth. First of all, they were doing overnight road construction in front of the hotel so it was hard to sleep but that isn't the hotels fault and I am sure they are done by now. Also they do play 50's/60's music on the speakers in the parking lot and at times I could hear it over the TV.

Second, I had a 24 hour drive back to Minnesota so I wanted to get an early start, I woke up at 4:30 and left about 5:15. About an hour and a half out of Savannah I realized I had left my cell phone on the bed. I pulled over at the first rest stop, and emailed the hotel to inform them of this because and asked if they could express mail it to me and that I would pay for the shipping charges. My thougt was because it was still before 8 am someone could get the phone out of the room before housekeeping had a chance to clean the room and because they might not see it . I checked my email the next morning from my overnight stop in St. Louis, I saw no reply so I resent the email asking for an update. I received and reply on this email telling me he would check with housekeeping and mail it to me. I checked the cell phone records and the only call that had been made was to the last number I had dialed, and it was later in the afternoon, so my thinking was they must have called the number to verify owner and address.

After a few days I still hadn't heard back from them and I hadn't received the phone so I called the hotel, the girl who answered said she would check and give me a call back. In the meantime, I rechecked the phone records and the phone had been used that day and the day before and the call log showed Savannah numbers. She called me back and said she checked and housekeeping had not found the phone. I informed her that the phone had been used and gave her the numbers that had been called. I called back the hotel later that day and was informed the number was the housekeepers home number. She informed me the manager would call me back and he did later on that afternoon. He said the housekeeper in question would be let go when she returned from her day off the next day, but before they let her go they would try to get my phone back for me. He said if they didn't they would pay for the insurance deductible on the phone and when informed him that I didn't have insurance on the phone he said he would pay to replace it. That was a week ago, and I haven't heard from the hotel since. In the meantime, I went ahead and ordered a replacement for the phone and emailed them a copy of the invoice, we will see if I hear back or get reimbursed.

So in the recommend section, I will say yes with hesitation because it is a nice hotel, the location is good, its kitchy, clean and the price was reasonable. But I am disappointed in the interaction or lack of from the hotel in resolving this matter. I dont know if its southern thing, but here in the North we get back to people and resolve problems quickly.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
thunderbird611, General Manager at The Thunderbird Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2010

I am sorry we didn't get this resolved as quickly as you wanted. There is something true that it takes longer in the south to get things done. That doesn't excuse our slow response time. We did terminate the housekeeper in question and did retrieve your phone. It is unfortunate when something like this happens and I understand your frustration. We have used this event to put new policies in place. Thank you for taking the time to write to us.