“Southern Hospitality”

The Confederate House
Ranked #21 of 30 Savannah B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 August 2013

My daughter and I recently stayed here for two nights. Our room was large with lovely antique furniture and a big bathroom with a shower and separate bath.

We were welcomed by Lady Colleen who showed us around before sitting down with us to give more information on Savannah. The upstairs sitting room has coffee and lovely cakes and pastries for the guests.

Our breakfasts were lovely with fresh fruit, orange juice and coffee, followed by a cooked dish. The french toast was great.

The home, opposite Forsythe Park, is a pleasant 20 minute walk to downtown Savannah through beautiful tree lined streets and squares. Alternatively there is a free shuttle.

Good value for money, where you get a real insight into southern hospitality.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 14 August 2013

My friend and I stayed for one night, the room was very comfortable and the price was exceptional for the location. Lady Colleen is a great hostess and prepared a nice breakfast, french toast and fresh fruit. When we go back to Savannah, we will stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2013

The Confederate House is located alongside Forsyth Park in the historic district of Savannah.
The proprietor and Lady of the House is Colleen. She is very warm and welcoming and has many stories of life to share. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable and overlooked the park.
Breakfast was at 9 am each morning. Each day brought a different and delicious meal. We were served in the dining room with linen table cloth, silver service and fine china. Crystal stemware and candles finished off an elegant beginning to each day. The room cost was very fair and yes... We will return when we next visit Savannah.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2013

My wife and i celbrated our anniversary in Savannah and stayed at the Confederate House, we would highly recommend it. Lady Colleen was wonderful and made us feel right at home, the rooms were very nice, the house is beautiful and breakfast was fantastic. We enjoyed chatting with Lady Colleen and she gave us great advice for our anniversary dinner at the Olde Pink House. The location is across the street from Forsyth Park and very convenient to everything. On our next trip to Savannah hopefully can stay at the Confederate House again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Colleen Williams is a real doll, and a natural at running her bed and breakfast. Breakfast was a wonderful sit down meal with Colleen and other interesting guests who came to visit Savannah. The rooms are large as was the bathroom. I had a great time.

The B&B is closely located to the downtown historic district, and I walked back and forth each day with no trouble. (For me, a car was an option that I did not need.)

A caveat: This is an old house, and some people will have a problem with uneven floors and other issues that are inherent with an old building. I love the B&B experience because I get to meet local folks and rather than visit an old home for half an hour, I get to stay in it during my vacation. However, others who prefer sleek hotels and granite countertops will not appreciate the B&B experience.

With that caveat, I would recommend the Confederate House Inn for anyone staying in Savannah. In my next trip to the city, I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 May 2013

My husband and I truly enjoyed our stay at the Confederate House. The location is perfect for walking any place in the historic downtown Savannah area and the free bus transportation originates only a short walking distance from the house on Hall St. Mrs. Williams is a gracious hostess and we enjoyed our stay in her lovely old home. We enjoyed our breakfast and the opportunity to meet and visit with some very nice guests from other parts of the country. Our room was lovely and we certainly enjoyed the lovely, sunny common area where guests could share conversation and coffee at any time during the day. Thank you, Coleen, for sharing your home with us.
Dave and Loraine Carruthers, St. Catharines, ON, Canada

Room Tip: Our room which was the middle room was very nice.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2013

My Wife and I spent two nights with Mrs Williams mid April 2013. The house is right on the Park so you have a lovely drive in and a great place to walk and relax right outside! Mrs. Williams greeted us and throughout out time there she regaled us with stories of her time in Savannah. She has led a fascinating life and it is nice to hear about the city from someone that has spent so much time here. Now for my review of the place. :-)

**Warning** If you do not do well with stairs, you might not want to stay here. you climb what in most homes is the equivalent of a flight of stairs just to get inside. then with @15' ceilings, the walk to the second floor where your rooms are is a long way up. This did not bother my wife or I but it is something I do think people should be aware of.

Be sure to take a look on the left as you go in the front door and see the picture of the place when Mrs. Williams took ownership. It is amazing the job she has done to make this a beautiful place! The first floor is a large open area where you can relax and where breakfast is served each morning. Our breakfasts were nothing fancy, but they were delicious and we enjoyed some down home southern cooking! Breakfast is served at 9AM, family style where all the guests sit around one table. This is different from some places we have stayed, but we enjoyed meeting the other people staying at the B&B and Mrs. Williams eats with you and keeps the conversation going. On the second floor is a nice sitting area with some books and lots of literature about the area. It is a great place to sit and decide just what you will do for the day. Mrs. Williams brought us fresh brewed coffee and we had some wonderful cake as we relaxed here. All three rooms open off of this common area. I only saw the room we stayed in (General Lee) and it was a large room with a HUGE bathroom. Again you have 15' ceilings on the second floor as well. Our bed was a King sized bed that you literally had to climb into! it was comfortable and the room was clean. on one night we had a bad storm roll through. I woke up partway through the storm and was amazed at just how little of the storm noise made it into the room. On one night all three rooms were occupied (one by a couple on a romantic get-away) and when we were in our room we could not hear anything from any of the other guests. the room was very quiet and felt private. There is a small parking lot out back for her guests as well. The second floor is under its own 'Zone' for AC and Mrs. Williams pointed out where the controller was and warned us that the bedrooms normally stay a little cooler than the common area. We were comfortable both nights. I did hear another guest complain one morning that her room was cold, but we had no issue. Mrs. Williams went out of her way to make sure that if we had any issues to simply call her and she would do what she could. Overall I would recommend the place to others so long as they were comfortable with the stairs. Remember, when you stay here you are staying in someone's home and we felt right at home here! We stayed in Hotels for the rest of our trip and certainly missed the nice touches of the Confederate House.

Thanks!!