Hampton Inn & Suites Savannah Historic District
Ranked #27 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Plano, United States
“Great Staff”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Visited Savannah on a sold out weekend. Hotel very busy but staff was on their game. Great location, great price and great service. Parking was a bit of a walk but the weather was perfect for a walk. Will definitely return.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Virginia, United States
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I have stayed at this hotel several times and I am always satisfied. The staff are friendly, my room is always ready, the breakfast is great and free internet. It is also located near many of the sites in Savannah.

Panama City, United States
Reviewed 16 May 2014

The staff at this hotel is very friendly and helpful. The location is handy for visiting the Historic District and for making visiting other parts of the Savannah area. Plus you can walk to many restaurants.

Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I had to book a room in a pinch situation for the night due to a surprise birthday adventure. I chose this location because it was in the hotel district and because it was $149/night which was cheaper than any other available hotel room in the area with an onsite parking lot. We arrived just before midnight to check in and were greeted by a seemingly nice woman whose name I'll leave out. She asked if we were able to find parking, and we decided since you have to pay $15 for parking, might as well pay the $20 for "valet". But, before we had even mentioned valet, she informed us that the parking lot was more than likely full and that we could try our luck and find a parking garage near by or street parking. That was definitely not an option for us especially because the area around this hotel is very sketchy and continues to get even sketchier the further you travel down MLK Jr. Blvd. This was on a Tuesday night and the streets were alive with hoodlums, loud music from car stereos, car engine revving and loud exhausts. Back to the parking situation... So I decided to just pay for valet. Come to find out, the parking lot was in fact full so the valet simply left the car in the "10 minute check in parking" space which was conveniently where we had parked it ourselves. The woman at the counter did not suggest that we could remain parked where we were and pay the regular parking fee. No, we had to pay $5 more for valet to "park" our vehicle. What a rip off, yes I am a penny pincher, but they could have mentioned that they were simply not going to move our vehicle at all and save me my $5 because I parked myself! I wonder what the situations was for the other customers who were able to park their vehicles overnight in the "10 minute" parking spots.
Still speaking to the front desk woman, I asked if there were any rooms available on a high floor and facing away from the streets. Of course I was told their were none. Believable I guess, maybe because we checked in so late. We went to our room and the noise from Oglethorpe Avenue continued all night as cars and hoodlums (I say hoodlums because they were large young groups of men and women drinking and loitering at midnight talking loud and blaring their car stereos sitting outside of a closed gas station doing who knows what) kept us awake through all of the night. The bed was king sized and it had upon it four tiny pillows. We split two pillows between us and even when we doubled them, they still provided zero support for our heads. It was pathetic, they were half the size of regular pillows. I Also had huge swollen feet and ankles and I had to elevate my feet asap so I called the front desk and asked if we could have 4 pillows brought to our rooms. 15 Minutes later a man knocks at the door and informs me that he searched the hotel high and low and that they had SOLD OUT OF PILLOWS apparently. And that they do not have any reserve pillows in storage. Every room was taken and he had to take pillows from one room to accommodate me. If every room was taken... What mysterious room did he take these two pillows from? If every room comes with four pillows, then why did he not give me the remaining pillows from the mystery room in which he took them from? Or did he go door to door asking customers for extra pillows? Did I get used pillows? Or did I receive service from a pillow Nazi front desk that didn't think I deserved to have 4 extra pillows in my $149 room! So I gather up the covers, my sanity, and the spare thermal blanket to create some kind of elevation for my poor fat feet.
Lastly, the last of my ranting. We were woken up all night from the cars from the street. All hours from midnight to 10:50 A.M. the time we checked out. I suggest if you stay here, that you check in early so you might have a fighting chance in choosing a room that does not face the street. I would also suggest that the owners of this hotel chain should put in thicker windows or figure out some way of sound proofing. My experience was bad, but not enough to complain or seek help. This was supposed to be a clean, neat, luxuriously comforting, HAMPTON INN & SUITES! The name suggests The HAMPTONS! I don't expect the Waldorf Astoria, but I expect it to feel like a plush, lush, dreamy, happy, and accommodating experience. Because I didn't have a guaranteed parking space with my reservation or 2 of the 4 extra pillows I requested, I should have been offered more options or suggestions that would make things easier for me. The hotel staff was not rude, but they did not go out of their way to see that I was cared for.
The quality of the room was the same standard you would get from a Red Roof Inn motel with a mini refrigerator and a microwave. I suggest saving money and staying in a Best Western, Super 8, or Red Roof.. even a La Quinta. Or what I should have done was pay $50 extra and stay in a historic bed and breakfast which is closer to the nightlife and restaurants and River Street. I will not choose to come back here or any other Hampton Inn.

Room Tip: Demand that you have a room on a higher floor and one that does not face the street. And do not let...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sarangheorangee
Evergreen, Colorado
Reviewed 13 May 2014

From the moment we pulled up we were greeted by Friendly Valet People. (Valet offers in and out Privileges.) The Front Desk People are GREAT! The rooms are nice. We had a super view of the River. The largest Barges would go by loaded with tons of containers.

Located in Historic area with so much to see.

A great place to stay and close to the Riverfront. So much to see. Old Stone steps and so so so much more.

Room Tip: Ask for a Riverfront View.
1 Thank Janet H
St James, NY
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Nice hotel - typical Hampton Inn - just a few blocks walk to all the downtown historic sites - very convenient. They need to do something about the breakfast to make more appealing. Nice lobby and pool but need more pool seating.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Great hotel - clean, friendly staff, and very convenient to River Street activities. Staff was great - more friendly and helpful that I've encountered in quite some time. Our room was great, clean and spacious - we had four adults and our Queen Studio Suite had plenty of room. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends