“Rough start, great stay”

Staybridge Suites Savannah Historic District
Ranked #38 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Stafford, Virginia
“Rough start, great stay”
Reviewed 9 December 2012

I choose this hotel for this past weekend as my wife was coming to visit and bringing our dog. Didn't want to stay on Hunter as I currently am so I looked for places near the river that were dog friendly. This place is a great location right on Bay street and the price was way better than I would have expected (used a military discount but the standard and AAA prices are quite good). The lobby is a nice lobby, seems that all the hotels on the river make that a point of emphasis. The stay started rough as the room I was given initially had only been partially cleaned. Appeared as if whoever started cleaning got distracted and stopped as there were still dirty towels in the room. I was pretty disappointed by that but the front desk staff quickly corrected it and switched my rooms. I have seen complaints about the rooms not being "suites" but I would have to disagree. For the price the room is more than adequate with a fridge, small stovetop, etc if you need that (although with all the places to eat I am not sure I would ever utilize it). Breakfast was hit/miss. Missed huge on Saturday as there was really no hot dishes and I opted not to eat at the hotel, however on Sunday they had hot dishes that were more what I expected and since it doesn't cost extra was more than adequate. The staff were all very friendly. Many of the staff actually seemed to enjoys dogs which is nice as our dog is still fairly new to us from a shelter and although very well behaved we are not comfortable leaving her in a kennel yet to travel. The concierge is helpful and quite pleasant to deal with, I can't remember the gentleman's name but he will assist in getting rides, scheduling events, etc and is just a genuinely nice person to deal with. All in all the weekend started rough but I didn't want to have to check out by the end. I would certainly stay here again if my dog was coming back with me, if not I may try others but I wouldn't hesitate to have my friends/family stay there with us when we bring out pet.
Helpful travel hint, bring your own bottled water with you. The hotel has some but charges you for it and if you aren't from Savannah or the coastal south east you probably will not enjoy the sulfur taste present in the areas water.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Tennessee
Reviewed 1 December 2012

Hotel was neat and staff was fine. Location was incredible, easy access to shopping and river front. This was my first trip to Savannah, GA and it was absolutely charming and the architecture made me feel like I stepped back in time. This hotel has a lot going for it but most of all the location.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Reviewed 29 November 2012

The hotel is wonderful, clean, and staff is very personable. The actual building has alot of history. The breakfast was good. They also have a social everyday about 5pm with snacks, wine & beer. I would definately stay there again.

Room Tip: Hotel was beautiful!!!! Had a very nice breakfast everyday!!!!!!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank CRJ5757
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 26 November 2012

We chose this hotel because we were traveling with our dog -- but the location is so great and the staff so friendly, that we'd stay again without him!
If you are traveling with your dog, you'll appreciate that the staff actually likes dogs and they are full of information to make the trip enjoyable for everyone -- they provided us with dog friendly restaurants and the location of a parks.
Overall, we found Savannah to be very dog friendly -- we were able to take ours every where, restaurants, parks, shops and cemetery's.
The location can't be beat -- the hotel is withing walking distance to everything. The mini-kitchen is a nice bonus.
A very good experience.

Room Tip: It seemed that all "dog rooms" were on the ground floor -- which was great for us. And wh...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank kaj2600
Lisbon
Reviewed 26 November 2012

We stayed for Thanksgiving week and had a great time. The staff was phenomenal. Every time we came in or left they always were asking how our day was or if they could do something for us. My son loved the "cookie man" who made cookies on the weekdays. Front desk ladies were always very nice. The manager was very helpful and even worked on Thanksgiving which I thought was cool (thank you Ms. Xamis).

Pros:
great location
friendly and helpful staff
free breakfast
free "social hour" with free dinner food and drinks (including beer) (helped save a ton of money).
Can have a DVD player in your room if you ask.
cleaning staff was very polite too.
Just really friendly people to be honest.
free laundry facilities
good price/quality ratio
helpful tourist info people in the lobby

Cons:
internet was a bit spotty
need full length mirrors
TVs should be industrial not residential
Nothing bad really, just tiny things to find to put here :)

Thanks for the great stay!

Room Tip: Corner Rooms are nice.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank WoltersWorld
Betsy P, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, 30 November 2012
Thank you for your recent stay with us here in Savannah. We are glad you choose the Savannah Staybridge Suites during the holiday. Your comments are very much appreciated and we will share them with the staff. Happy Holiday's to you and your family.

Sincerely the Staybridge Suites Savannah Historic District staff
Powell, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 24 November 2012

The location was perfect, the decor lovely, and the beds were very comfortable. The only drawback was the size of the room - squeezed into the room were two double beds and a kitchenettes. For two people, it would be just fine; with my family of four, it felt a little cramped. But if you are spending most of the time sightseeing beautiful Savannah, you are not going to spend much time in your room. Great breakfast in the morning!

Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
MORENO VALLEY
Reviewed 21 November 2012

This is a nice hotel with all the modern amenities. Big lobby with lots of places to sit and relax, read, watch TV. I like these hotels that have almost complete kitchens. However, because there is absolutely no place to put your luggage, I found myself putting some of my luggage on the kitchen counters. Really ruined the whole idea of having a nice kitchen. I'm just not sure where the owners here expect you to put your luggage, on the floor? I was on top floor, but no view. Trees surrounded the Square across the street, so that's all you see, olive trees, not the river. I also didn't like that my door wouldn't automatically slam shut. I didn't even notice this until I went back to my hotel room the first time, and trying to slide plastic key in slot the door just opened. Wi-Fi is too slow for a hotel with these costs.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank drdroad
Stephanie X, Front Office Manager at Staybridge Suites Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, 23 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We use your comments to make improvements and train our staff. We hope that you consider staying with us again in the future.

Warm Regards,