“The best room we had in a B&B ever!”

Justine Inn Savannah
Ranked #7 of 29 Savannah B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We just came back from a trip to Savannah and Charleston, celebrating our anniversary. Our visit to Savannah was just wonderful. We stayed in the best bedroom we had ever been before in a B&B. It had a limestone jacuzzi in an amazing sunny bathroom, all decorated with antiques and very good taste. Perfect for a romantic getaway. A beautiful house in a perfect location, just steps away from Forsyth park.
Breakfast was beautifully presented and Kathleen was very helpful with suggestions for our first time visit. She even had tickets for us for the Trolley bus, so we could just jump on one in any stop.
We are a well travelled couple, originally from Barcelona and we really like visiting historical sites and staying in authentic places, and this for sure is one. We're looking forward to go back again!

Room Tip: The Versailles room has an amazing bathroom.
1  Thank Nina K
kathy1951, Owner at Justine Inn Savannah, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Our first conversation was an introduction to a wonderful rapport. I wish you stayed longer ...I understand, you had to drive back to Charleston. I hope you returned safely to Mass and it isn't too cold. I do miss the snow. I am glad you glad you got a peek at Savannah but you need to come back and see me and Mr. Cooper. Please send people this way so that I can offer them the same experience in the Versailles. This is the most spectacular suite in Savannah. I am glad you loved it and raved about your brief stay. Say hello to Mass for me ...I will be home for Christmas...First break in 10 years. I am going to love it if it snows. I want a white Christmas. I am taking Mr. Cooper with me....Maybe see you soon, Hugs Kathleen

Write a ReviewReviews (1,462)

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Five stars are not enough to give to this spectacular B&B! Me and my girlfriend flew in
from London jet lagged and exhausted to find fresh baked cookies, a giant bottle of champagne
and a warm and gracious host. Kathleen made us feel right at home when we came in, with a big hug and her charming Boston accent. Are room was cozy and inviting, with by the way, some of the most beautiful furnishings I had ever seen(we secretly joked that Kathleen might have robbed Buckingham Palace). Next morning I spent a half hour in the walk in sit down shower (most intoxicating shower I have ever had, kudos to the Provence Room) before coming up the stairs to find a three course gourmet breakfast waiting for us. Creme Brulet with homemade whip cream and bacon that was to die for. Kathleen's suggestions on what to see and where to eat were spot on. Elizabeth on 37th, The Pirates House, and The Pink House, just to name a few I would highly recommend. Kathleen is such a down to earth, hearty individual which I love, she tells it like it is which is a rare thing in this world. I would come back here in the blink of and eye. Are only regret was that we could not stay longer. Absolutely beautiful!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
kathy1951, Owner at Justine Inn Savannah, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

We always love a returning guests. We will be getting ready for some travelers for Thanksgiving and the holidays so we will be making and baking all their favorite delights. I am so glad you have always loved The Olde Savannah Inn. We will continue to awe you with all the luxury and elegance that Savannah has to offer. We look forward to your next visit...For late travelers, we always try and make our famous soups to warm them up after a day of traveling and a than nestle into the most comfortable and luxurious bedding ...Wake up to candle light breakfast and big band music ...Let's not forget the French press beckoning you to our sun drenched breakfast room to meet friends you haven't met yet. Once again, thank you for allowing us to serve you and choosing The Olde Savannah Inn.

Hugs,

Kathleen and Mr. Cooper

Reviewed 12 November 2013

This could be a great place. Beautiful street and garden. I genuinely respect Kathleen's hard work. Her food is delicious and we loved Mr. Cooper. Although, if you're not dog people, he could be a problem, because he's underfoot in the dining room, etc.

Kathleen prides herself on decorum. Ironically, she really needs some lessons in that area.

Kathleen needs to learn how to be gracious in a subtle manner. A hostess shouldn't discuss her financial difficulties/hardships with guests. By the end of our short stay, we knew that she was in dire financial straits, trying to sell the Inn and resented the BOGO deals. We also knew that she felt that her clientele had gone downhill over the past several years, causing her to have to offer rooms at a much lower rate than she expected.

We like to make small talk, etc. and get to know other people, but this was just awkward. When it comes down to it, we're paying guests at a business establishment. Yes. It's a B&B, so the environment is different from a larger hotel, but it is still a place where money is exchanged for a service. The innkeeper isn't doing guests a favor by allowing them the privilege to pay for and spend the night at her personal residence.

Lastly, a polite hostess/innkeeper doesn't continually brag about her decor choices, definitely doesn't discuss finances and decorates with materials appropriate for continual use by a variety of guests. If damage is discovered in the room after a guest has left, send the guest a bill for the damages.

Kathleen isn't a bad person, but the profession of innkeeper is a poor choice for her. You go on vacation to relax and enjoy a respite from day to day issues. The purpose isn't to act as a sounding board for a disgruntled small business owner.

We hope that Kathleen is able to sell her business and move back to Boston, where she will hopefully be much happier. We wish her the best.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
29  Thank Maisygirl3
kathy1951, Owner at Justine Inn Savannah, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

I actually printed this review out so I can respond to all of this guest complaints...The Olde Savannah Inn is a great sanctuary for those who want to be pampered and expect the Best of a 5- star Bed and breakfast. Situated on one of the most prominent streets in Savannah . The Inn is in walking distance to all historic sites in which this reviewer stated. Breakfast is delicious and I am glad this guest loved it As far as Mr. Cooper, He is called in to the breakfast room as the guests love him. Most of the time, he is resting on his chair in the parlor. My guests have raved how calm he is...He is so lovable...He loves people and loves to play. I never could understand why it takes some guest so long after they leave to post a unfavorable review. Just do it in the car. Why wait 4 months ...You can insult me but one thing you can never deny is my eye for detail. My attention to detail is a gift. Where I went wrong and I think this guest was trying to point out that I should have been more practical when I designed the inn as some guests don't take care of your things and they do damage. First of all, if an innkeeper confronts a guest for damages before they leave, they refuse to accept ownership and the credit card companies always side with the card holder in most cases. What are owners of small business suppose to do when a guest is drinking red wine on the bed and destroys our bed linens? Who should be responsible.? It has happened a couple of times and both times, the customer refused to pay and became indignant when approached. I should have been more mindful as I designed this inn that most people don't care. For some reason, I thought it would be different. When I first opened, the crowd was different. They never squabbled about my prices and it has changed dramatically since 2008. I understand people are still scared to spend money but small business needs to start making money or they will become obsolete. We are the engine that drives the economy. We need to be able to pay our expenses and make profit. I am sorry that This guest thought I was a disgruntled Hostess. I speak the truth. I need to start making money for all the hard work I do and the quality I offer. Some guests will ask you things like this...Why don't you have any help. That is not a subject that should be discussed. That is my personal business. I could see if I didn't do an excellent job in performing as a dedicated Innkeeper but I go the extra length to offer all my guests a 5- star experience. They also ask you how is Savannah doing? If you are honest, this is what some will do. Wait for the opportunity to write a review like this. Prices in Savannah have been discounted even in high season due to the demand of travelers wanting deals. To get heads in the beds, we have to do what we can to hold on to our properties. I understand this is a paying guest and the every day life is arduous at best and I am sorry if my stress leaked out during her stay. I am human and it is not easy in this economy to battle these challenges alone. I wish I could sell this property as most owners do in Savannah, but I can't as the market hasn't climbed back up. I will do the best I can until I can go back to Boston...Everyone who is wise knows the b and b industry has fallen with the housing collapse. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. If we can survive all the vacation properties, hotels, and saturation of all the bed and breakfasts in Savannah, it will be a miracle. When I opened in 2006, we didn't have as much saturation and I sold the Versailles Court for $420 per night and this room was occupied all the time. At $294.000 which is 30% off the original price is a challenge .Has the situation changed in Savannah, absolutely but I will never speak of it again. I have learned my lesson.

In closing, I would like to response to this guests last comment. She wrote" the profession of the innkeeper is a poor choice for Kathleen" Just the opposite is true. Kathleen loves what she does but she is frustrated and tired of working like this and not seeing results. It is time to raise prices and see this inn get the recognition it deserves.

Last but not least, this guest hopes I sell my business and return to Boston...Wishes me the best. One thing about me is I speak from the heart. If this guest really wishes me the best, why would you post a damaging review like this. This statement is a contradiction...First of all, I would never write a review if I knew a business owner was in dire finances as she claims. Do you not think this review is going to do more harm to your finances. People are going to see this review and judge my inn from this guest perspective. I could never do this to anyone...I am a good person who devotes her life to others. I can't imagine hurting someone's business like this. ..For those who will judge me, I am sorry I failed this guest opinion of me, but there are many who love me and Mr. Cooper. I will hang on to hope that those who believe in me will still come and know that they will be offered an amazing stay.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary at the Olde Savannah Inn. It was a lovely experience from start to finish. Kathleen pampers her guests with the most divine breakfasts in an elegant, yet cozy breakfast room. On the day of our departure, we had an early flight, yet Kathleen made sure we had a wonderful breakfast before leaving. We had the room to ourselves as all the other guests were still sleeping. And speaking of sleeping, you will not want to leave your comfortable bed in the mornings. We stayed in the Provence Room which had a wonderful shower that had been built into a former closet. We loved sleeping in the beds with the warm comforters and the soft glow from the fireplace. Thank you Kathleen for making our stay special-we hope to return again.
A Kentucky couple

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

The Only word to describe you is lovely. I loved having you here. TA is the perfect Southern gentleman and you compliment him as a real Southern Belle...Thank you so much for the lovely gift in the mail. I will read it and always be reminded of you. It is rare in today's society to have the poise and manners of the old school way. The way we were brought up to be polite and appreciate whatever is being given to you. It is not practiced very often but you were refreshing. It brought me back to how we use to treat each other. I hope you come back and see Mr. Cooper and I...Love to see you again. Love and Hugs to you, Your friend and Hostess, Kathleen

Reviewed 9 November 2013

From the minute we met the innkeeper we new this would be a great event. From a well appointed room with ironed sheets to a great breakfast. Kathleen provided recommendations and detailed facts about Savannah. Will return as soon as possible.

Dear John and Pinky,

Thank you so much for writing a review when you were still in Disney world with your family. I loved you right away...We are cut from the same cloth. You are as true and sincere as you can get. Love it. We had the connection immediately when I gave you a big hug...I hope you had fun in Disney with all the kids and if you ever return to Savannah , You know you have a friend waiting to pamper you again. Hugs from Kathleen and Mr. Cooper.

Give my love to Pinky...

Reviewed 6 November 2013

After two weeks of a road trip, we were delighted to be enjoying Savannah. The Olde Savannah Inn is a beautifully restored home. Our room was cozy, comfortable, and loved the fireplace. Kathleen is a wonderful host with lots of suggestions if needed for where to go and what to do. Enjoyed delicious breakfasts in a lovely sunny room.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
kathy1951, Owner at Justine Inn Savannah, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

I want to thank this guest for posting but to be honest I was a little surprised. I had an intimate relationship with this guest . I would tell her how some guests would ask me" What sites can I go on to help you and her comment was" I can do that Those guests left me 5-star reviews on all the travel sites. I was disappointed in this rating and emailed this guest how could I have earned a 5-star review but I never got a response. When the majority of your reviews are 5's and than get a 4-star review, you want to know what was missing during this guest stay. If the guest don't reveal what was wrong, than you can't fix it. I pride myself with 5-star customer service and work very hard to deliver a memorable stay. Maybe, this guest will allow me to exceed all of her expectations and return to The Olde Savannah Inn. Thank you for your review, Kathleen

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Do not go to this Inn if....you want to lose weight! We spent 4 days at the Inn. We were welcomed and pampered. The rooms were clean and bright. Everything was ready for us to relax and enjoy. We loved the city of Savannah and walked everywhere from this well located Inn. The breakfast changed every day and it was obvious that Kathleen wanted us to have a five star meal rather than just making sure we had some food before we went out. I cant decide if the Pecan Pancakes, french toast, eggs Benedict or frittata was the best but I know none of it was going to help me lose weight! Thanks for a great stay in a great city.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RichardJorgensen
kathy1951, Owner at Justine Inn Savannah, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Richard and Ann,

Thank you so much for choosing The Olde Savannah Inn. It was such a pleasure to delight you with all my morning breakfasts. I told you at the time of booking, bring your stretches. It is my best time of the day to wake the guests up with amazing smells from the kitchen and to chit chat with my early coffee risers. What a treat! You haven't tried a lot of my menu, so please come back and see us and we will surely indulge you with our wonderful breakfasts. If you ever return to Savannah, you have friends to come back and see. Until than, Mr. Cooper and I will miss you and await your return. Have a lovely Holiday Season as it is right around the corner.

Hugs from Mr. Cooper ,