“Happy in Savannah”

Ranked #5 of 30 Savannah B&B and Inns
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Happy in Savannah”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at The Olde Savannah Inn for the first time. This was our first trip to Savannah and we were pleasantly surprised with the service we received at this B&B. Kathleen is very attentive and accommodating to the needs of her guests. We are traditionally late risers regarding breakfast, which was a mistake!!! We finally managed to attend breakfast on our last day and it was wonderful. She served us fresh orange juice, assorted fruit, and a breakfast pie that was amazing. She even brought us homemade cobbler with whip cream which was very good. Kathleen was available any time we needed her and was always willing to assist us in finding things to do and see in Savannah. Of course, Cooper the beagle, was also a great host. We even offered to dog sit for Kathleen but she and Cooper had plans. We can't blame her!! We would definitely recommend staying at this B&B you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 30 May 2014

For our first trip to Savannah and our first B&B experience we can honestly say we had an experience we will never forget. When we arrived at the Olde Savannah Inn my boyfriend and I were greeted by the inn keeper Kathleen with a warm hug, a glass of wine, gorgeous chandeliers and Mr. Cooper- the beagle of the house. We stayed in the Provence Room. It was the best room in the house! The shower was amazing and beautifully done, we actually wished we could bring the shower home with us! We were pleasantly woke up each morning by big band music which set the mood for the day.The breakfast room was welcoming and elegant. Each breakfast was different with decadent banana white chocolate pancakes, eggs benedict like no other, and crème brulee French toast (a truly unique treat). The French pressed coffee was also fresh and delicious. It was great to interact with the other guests while we enjoyed such a warm ambiance and delicious meal. The Inn was only a few blocks away from Forsyth Park which we took advantage of each morning for our morning walk together. We also loved that we had our own separate garden entrance. During the day we had a wonderful time touring the city and seeing all the history Savannah has to offer. We were greeted by music and fresh dessert each day when we returned to our room from our daytime outing. The Inn keeper Kathleen was very helpful in giving us advice on where to go. She was very personable, dedicated and hardworking. She may share opinions more than some would like (as noted in other reviews), but her matter-of-fact personality did not bother us. (After all, you do not stay all day at the B&B) Overall, we had a wonderful experience at the Olde Savannah Inn and we will definitely return due to its warm and elegant feel. The location was great and we feel it was appropriately priced for the area. We will be returning for future stays

Room Tip: Provence Room. All the way.
1 Thank Keri N
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 28 May 2014

First time to Savannah and we couldn't have chosen a better starting point. Such a beautiful, warm and inviting stay. Kathleen was a most elegant owner and great host from when we pulled up to the inn to the moment we hugged and said our good-byes. We stayed in the Bellevue room it was lovely and extremely cozy. We loved meeting the other guests at breakfast and the food was to die for, really. Creme brulee french toast with homemade whipped cream to the peach cobbler and banana bread with white chocolate. So yummy! We loved spending time with Kathleen and chatting about whatever the topic might have been. We highly recommend this great bed and breakfast and we will be coming back again! St.Patrick 2015!

Room Tip: cash for bike taxis if you choose not to walk.
pittsgrove, nj
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We thought long and hard before writing this review. Our 4day/3 night stay took place a little over a month ago in late April. At first, my husband and I had no intentions of writing a review of the The Olde Savannah Inn for many reasons. But as the weeks past we felt obligated to our fellow travelers to put pen to paper. We truly count on Tripadvisor and have learned a tremendous lesson with this experience. We're hoping that we can help future Savannah travelers with their accommodation decisions.

Staying at a B&B is something much more to my liking than my husband's. In fact after deciding on traveling to Savannah my husband and I discussed staying in one of the hotels, but I coaxed him into trying the B & B experience, once again. In fact I told him, I had read SO MANY stellar 5 star reviews of this Inn, how could it be anything but wonderful?! Most of them stating how gracious the innkeeper Kathleen is during their stay. We soon were to discover and to question “Are there two different Kathleens? “

We arrived in Savannah in the morning, luggage in tow. My husband said "What are we going to do with our luggage all day until check-in?" I quickly told him not to worry because at other B&B's we've stayed in the past, the innkeeper graciously took our luggage hours before check-in so we could go on about our business hands free.
After several doorbell rings and knocking at the front door, our innkeeper, Kathleen, greeted us from the downstairs entrance, rather abruptly and let it be known that our room was not ready and why were we here so early? We immediately apologized for bothering her and told her we did not expect our room to be ready and that we just wanted to store our luggage in the house until check-in. She then came up to the main entrance, opened the door and stuck the bottom of her flip flop practically in our faces and said "Do you see all the grit on these?" Actually no, we didn't and couldn't imagine why she would stick the sole of her shoe in our face. She then proceeded to let us in and told us to leave our luggage off to the side. She then said "I might as well check you in now. I've been advised by other innkeepers to do that immediately in case somebody changes their mind so you at least have their credit card information." We were then "treated" to a several minute rant about the rude people that had arrived last night, who did not take their shoes off when they entered and it was pouring rain outside. She said "Can you believe people could be so rude? No one has any class anymore." As she was going on and on complaining about everyone and anything associated with running a B & B, I sat and petted the adorable Mr. Cooper who was comfortably laid out on one of the living room chairs (towel underneath him to protect the chair). I truly couldn't believe that a woman who wanted everyone's shoes off before they entered her inn would allow a dog on the furniture, with or without protective covering. During her incredible rant and obvious distaste for her profession, my husband was very direct and said to her "Sounds like you're burnt out and in the wrong business, Kathleen." At which point she agreed. We had been in her presence for less than 10 minutes.

Kathleen then decided she might as well take us down to show us the room. I had wanted the Provence room for all 3 nights but it was booked the first night of our stay, so I reserved the Bon Vivant. Before we entered Kathleen reminded us that the room wasn't ready and once again we told her we didn't need to go in it until later, but she insisted we see it. We walked into the very pretty room with a bed that had obviously been slept in. At which point Kathleen again started to rant about the unmannerly people that had left the bed in such a mess. We didn't know what she meant .......We wondered "Are we supposed to make up the bed in the morning?" Kathleen pulled at the comforter at the foot of the bed and said, " Look at this, no respect, this cover has to be changed now, it's all wrinkled." My husband and I just looked at each other and wondered what she thinks a bed should look like when it’s been slept in ?? And wouldn’t she change the comforter cover in between guests anyway? We were then taken aback when we noticed there was no door on the bathroom. I forget who noticed it first my husband or I but I immediately said "Well it's only for one night, we're staying in the Provence room for the next 2 nights." Upon which Kathleen tried to talk us into staying in this room for the entire stay because now she'd “have to make up the bed again” and then decided....."I'll just switch the sheets from this bed to the other one." We said that would be fine with us. But she still tried to get us to keep that room. My husband, who was totally trying to appease Kathleen said sure we'll stay, but I insisted and said we're going with our original reservations.

My husband and I couldn't wait to get out of there after only 20 minutes or so. We took a long walk to go get some lunch and when we sat down we just looked at each other kind of "shell shocked" about our initial encounter with Kathleen. We seriously talked about going back and getting our luggage and checking into a hotel, but we're not wealthy people and had already spent several hundred dollars to stay at the Inn. We knew we would lose all our money, so we decided to stick it out and try to stay out of Kathleen’s way during our stay.

Over the next few days, while at the Inn we were treated to more blasting regarding former patrons (I'm sure we've joined that list now) and frequent talk of money woes over and over again. My husband encountered this more than I did because he would go up for a cup of coffee in the morning before breakfast and then come down and roll his eyes about Kathleen's latest rants. We were made to feel very uncomfortable with most of Kathleen's conversations....way too much information. We were there for a relaxing 4 day retreat from "real life"........boy thank goodness we're resilient people or we would have needed prozac with a martini chaser every day during our stay. One day we were treated to such loud yelling and screaming from Kathleen to some poor person working for Tripadvisor that the whole house could hear her. Fortunately for her we were the only guests at the time. My husband and I weren't even sure if we should show our faces upstairs for breakfast that last morning.

Other noteworthy experiences to mention are........on 2 different afternoons when we returned from a beautiful, RELAXING day walking the lovely historic streets of Savannah. My husband wanted to get some ice for whatever he was drinking. Kathleen actually counted out the ice cubes she gave him because she said she has to bring the ice in because her icemaker was broken. When he asked for a few more, she actually scolded him.
On our first 2 days there, we had a homemade afternoon snack waiting for us. One piece of cake one day and one cookie bar the next. Kathleen only addressed my husband as to if he liked what she left and on the 2nd day when neither of us ate the sweet cookie bar that was left because of an early dinner reservation, she questioned my husband why didn't HE eat it, didn't he like it? He told her about our dinner. The last day there........no afternoon snack was waiting for us in our room. That same day we didn't even get fresh towels with our room service. My husband actually took his wet towel from his early morning shower, that was still wet when we returned in the afternoon and brought it outside to dry in the sun. I told him to go ask Kathleen for a fresh one.........he just looked at me and said "Are you crazy, no way !"

Upon leaving Kathleen asked my husband to PLEASE write a 5 star review of the Inn, my husband quickly steered her my way. She then began to explain to me how I have to describe everything in detail and I told her that I generally am very concise with my reviews (up until now). Kathleen then told me she would email me a well-written review so I knew what to point out. Traveling home my husband and I discussed our review and we both knew there was absolutely no way we could give the Inn a 5 star one. Both of us were distraught over our experience that we knew we needed time to sort out what we had just been through. Then I got sick on our way home. I started to receive email reminders the night we got back home and for several days afterward regarding writing the review and what did I think about the one she had sent me. I finally emailed her back after several days and let her know we couldn't in good conscience write a 5 star review for the Olde Savannah Inn and didn’t think she would want a lesser one.

The most positive thing we can say about the Inn is that it's clean. Most of it's beauty was lost on us because of our experience. The breakfasts we had were good. My husband is the coffee drinker and he said the french press coffee was very good. Kathleen works very hard at keeping the Inn physically welcoming.

To summarize what I wrote in the beginning of this very long review. The reason we decided after a month to finally write our review is because this whole ordeal has taught us a great lesson. From now on when we look at reviews on Tripadvisor, no matter how overwhelmingly positive the reviews are, we're going to read the negative reviews and look to see if they share a common thread. No establishment, no matter how wonderful, is going to please everyone, but when you see similar complaints in all the negative reviews, then you know you're not dealing with an anomaly. My husband and I would never risk our precious time away and our very hard earned money again on another establishment when the negative reviews share such a common story. We love Savannah and have been there at least 4 or 5 times so our time away from the Inn was wonderful. We’ll definitely be returning one day but will choose another Inn or hotel to stay.

Etiquette was a subject brought up many times by Kathleen throughout our stay. We’ve also noticed it’s a subject that is brought up in some recent innkeeper responses to certain reviews. In the living room of the Inn there is a large book on etiquette also. It boggled our minds to have an innkeeper so focused on the etiquette or lack there of , of her guests and yet display such unprofessional behavior to these very same people. As we said to Kathleen in our email we'll say again.....we wish her only the best in her endeavors. ........just not sure The Innkeeper we experienced should be among them.

Room Tip: The Bon Vivant although lovely, has no door to the bathroom which is about 3 feet from the bed and t...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
35 Thank babs50_10
kathleen55, Owner at Justine Inn Savannah, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
The title of this review should have been examined closer by Tripadvisor's guidelines as it is a defamation of character. Basically accusing the innkeeper of having multiple personalities. It is so amazing to read a review ( a Novel) that continues for pages. . How is it possible that somebody could have this kind of time on their hands and to be pondering on such negative thoughts for so long. I wish I had that kind of free time . Instead, I would prefer to invest positive energy into maybe a good cause like helping out others. The sad part of this review in a nutshell, is we were all on the veranda sipping wine together just listening to her husband talk about his business difficulties and telling me they chose me over two other inns they had previously stayed at because I was more intimate and personal. This was a very difficult time for the inn as we were experiencing excessive cancellations and it was very troublesome why we were getting so many We had never experienced so many.. I try my best to be the best Hostess even when I am under extreme duress. I am sorry I engaged with these guests as the conversations were very mutual at that time but as an owner, you , you must refrain from all intimate topics that friends would share.. I am extremely cautious of what I say hereon. This is an up close and personal business so it is easy to think it is safe to engage in conversation but it is not. I will always remain professional as your hostess and offer you the Best of Savannah . There is no need to say anymore...his is an unfortunate lesson .. I am sad to read this review. No words can express my deepest regrets. My goal is to provide ll my guests an enriching and beautiful experience. I am so sorry I fell short of offering this guest the memories that I have offered hundreds of my guests. I am so sorry I disappointed you and you left with such bad feelings about The Olde Savannah Inn.
Altamonte Springs, Florida
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My husband and I chose this inn for our 30th wedding anniversary weekend. First time I had been in Savannah. We were not disappointed, the service was top notch. Kathleen was a wonderful host, she gave several suggestions for dinner and they were excellent. She is a fabulous cook, we had a five star breakfast each morning. We stayed upstairs in the Versailles Room, it was beautifully decorated and the bathroom is amazing!!! We would highly recommend this Inn to anyone looking for a upscale B&B. Melissa DiMarco

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This was my first visit to Savannah and I couldn't have chosen a better place to stay. Kathleen met us with open arms and a glass of wine as well as having cheesecake waiting on the nightstand in the room. Each morning she prepared the most wonderful breakfast with fresh fruit, French pressed coffee and an incredible entrée. She was very helpful in arranging taxis, tours and restaurant suggestions. Located in the beautiful Historic District put us within walking distance to all the shops, Forsyth Park and plenty of places to find a great meal or glass of wine. I would highly recommend The Olde Savannah Inn to anyone thinking of visiting this beautiful city. I hope to return very soon.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I was traveling on business . The Inn was amazing the food was incredible from the delightful cake waiting for me to the apple smoked bacon and souffle for breakfast. The room was like stepping into the south of France not a detail was missed . The linens freshly pressed. The room was clean and didn't smell musty like many old inns . The hospitality was second to none. Although I was traveling on business I will be back for a weekend. Although there are many lovely inns in the area and throughout Savanah I would not bother to look or go elsewhere .

Room Tip: Several rooms are downstairs positive is your own entrance negative is street level so you can't...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business