“Wonderful”

Justine Inn Savannah
Ranked #6 of 30 Savannah B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Upon the recommendation of a friend, we booked a three night stay at the Olde Savannah Inn. Beautiful room and bathroom, amazing breakfasts and a proprietor, Kathleen, who went out of her way to make our stay fantastic!

The four-poster bed was comfortable and the sheets felt like butter. The claw-foot tub was great and the towels were thirsty and luxurious.

Kathleen made our stay great as her knowledge and connections made it a breeze for us to eat and sight-see.

I HIGHLY recommend the Olde Savannah Inn and recommend Savannah for a few day trip of great sights and amazing food!.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Beautiful old fashioned home with a fancy feel and antique decor. Breakfasts were outstanding. Best blueberry pancakes we have ever had! We loved Mr. Cooper. He was a very well behaved and sweet dog. Kathleen was very pleasant upon arrival and had a piece of chocolate cake waiting for us in our room.

The Versailles room was magnificently decorated and the bathroom was beautiful.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and we appreciated the candor of Kathleen and her openness to speak to us on a personal level. She was very forthcoming on what it takes to run the home and how much effort she puts into it. For one person, it is indeed a daunting task, and we admired her efforts. However, she would be better off if she had help, which she chooses not to bring on for whatever reasons she may have. For example, we needed ice for our cooler, which she was not able to provide. She directed us to go to the store down the street to get a bag. We have stayed at other B&B's where not only is ice provided, but services were offered to pick up other items (a bottle of wine in this instance). A 5 star experience includes such services. Understandably, a one person show isn't in position to offer over-the-top requests (although ice is a normal request for hotels/inns). Also, upon showing up at 9:57 for our 10am breakfast, we were immediately told she wasn't ready for us yet, and were told to wait in the parlor until she was ready. Typically there is coffee/juice to drink prior to breakfast, and to maybe get to know other guests. But there was nothing put out for us. (Likewise, no wine or water for the evenings). We were to just wait. Again, more help might ease that burden of guests arriving "early" for breakfast. Regardless, the wait was minimal and the food was outstanding. I did have lipstick marks on my napkin (both mornings). I mentioned it the first time and Kathleen snatched the napkin from me and gave me another, saying that the lipstick doesn't come off. I felt petty for mentioning it at the time, but how about throw that napkin out? We are not complainers as life can be far more cruel than that, but at the same time paying for a service, things are rightfully expected. And paying customers ALWAYS have the right to feel entitled to the essentials.

Overall, the experience was very good. Beautiful house, great food, great location. Service was great for one person doing it all, but average in comparison to other B&B's we've stayed at.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank James-Hagen
kathleen55, Owner at Justine Inn Savannah, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

To all the readers of this review, Please allow me to respond to this review and offer you another insight of this guest's stay. I would like to say thank you for your business and taking the time to write a review. I am going to touch on the topics that this guests gave us a 5 on. Mr. Cooper and how well behaved he is. It is unnatural for a beagle to be this quiet and reserved. He is an absolute treasure.What a good boy. An angel.. This inn is very elegantly designed with attention to detail throughout and yet it is a hallmark of comfort. My goal is to provide an intimate sanctuary of renewal and relaxation of the burdens of everyday life.. Upon arrival, there is an afternoon delight waiting for you with chilled water, white or red wine and port is offered in the parlor all day long. There is a selection of wine to purchase in the piano room on a silver tray for your convenience to have in your room during your stay. Unfortunately, we are only 5 rooms, we only have a residential refrigerator with a small ice maker. We do not have that amount of ice to fill large coolers so we always encourage a bag of ice at the liquor store 1 block away. Let's talk about my breakfast. I am honored that this guest had the best blueberry pancakes ever. This is my best time of the day. I apologize to this guest for being delayed 3 minutes to breakfast. I had a full 9: 00 breakfast and a table had just become open. I was challenged with several restricted diets and it was only a few minutes. I didn't realize this reviewer would be that upset As soon as he pointed out there was a touch of lipstick on his napkin, I took it from him, apologized and gave him a new one. I have thrown this napkin away ...I know this guest recommended me to have help. I have been running this inn by myself for 8 years with some employees over the years, it never works out. They don't get it. The attention to detail that is necessary to have everything in a pristine condition at all times. This inn has maintained a 5-star reputation but it is getting more difficult to please some people. This guest took advantage of the BOGO Sale so he got an amazing value for the Versailles Court. He paid 416.97 for 2 nights ...$184.00 per night in a $400 room. Because I am a small bed and breakfast, it would be difficult as a one woman show during checkins to run to the store and pick him up a bag of ice and a complimentary bottle of wine. I am sorry to disappoint this guest but is unreasonable. There is always wine and port offered on arrival and in the evening. Water is always served in the room on room service. If you need water at night, I always provide that. I actually give it again for trolley tours. I am always offering food, wine, water. I keep an urn in the kitchen 24 hours a day for tea, coffee, etc. I wouldn't put it in the parlor as this is a stately decor, not buffet style of a country inn.

. I asked him during his stay and on departure if he had any complaints and he gave me some of the highest praise on the way out. I thought for sure, he meant what he said. Once again, I read this guest wrong. I just wish that guest would be sincere during their stay and not wait to complain on tripadvisor or open forums as this is harmful to small business.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We recently stayed here for our 12th anniversary! Would not want to stay anywhere else! The Provence room is garden level quiet and very relaxing. The breakfasts are out of this world!!! Kathleen makes every effort to ensure you enjoy your stays. From recommending great local places to eat and see; to even making reservations for a romantic dinner and a carriage ride. Kathleen is as much a gem as the inn is!!

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Rhapooh
Reviewed 6 July 2014

The Olde Savannah Inn is the place to stay if you are visiting Savannah. This house is beautifully appointed and is period sensitive and every room is visual art. The bed linens are the finest money can buy and hand ironed by Kathleen herself, the owner. She provides so much more than a beautiful ambiance; she will give you tips on what to do in the city, provide arrangements for tours, and arrange for white chocolate dipped strawberries and champagne if it is a special occasion. The bathrooms are stocked with everything you could need; toiletries, thick luscious towels, his & her bathrobes, makeup mirror, hairdryer, and amazing cleanliness. Kathleen’s breakfast tables are set with elegant style and flair in a sunny breakfast room where we were lucky enough to be served her signature blueberry pancakes with her specialty whipped cream – delicious!

At breakfast, we had the opportunity to eat with and talk to a famous celebrity. So, this is a place for the rich and famous and regular folks too. All are welcome and all are treated with the same dignity.

Kathleen will make you instantly comfortable and feel like she is a sister who has been waiting all day for you to get there. She will welcome you with fresh lemon cake and frozen bottles of water – just like family would. We will certainly stay in The Olde Savannah Inn again when visiting the area. This establishment is highly recommended. And a bark-out to Mr. Cooper.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mary Z
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My husband and I have never been to Savannah we have always heard wonderful things about the history of the old town so we decided let's go for a couple of days and see for our self. We have stayed at a B&B before and enjoyed the experience so much we decided we would also stay in one while we were in Savannah. I did some research on B&B's in Savannah and came across the Old Savannah Inn. Most of the reviews were nice and then there were some that might persuade others to look else where. I am glad we did not do that, we truly had a wonderful time and experience staying there. The inn keeper Kathleen is so warm and welcoming we really enjoyed meeting her and her dog Mr. Cooper! Also her breakfast is amazing! I would highly recommend others to book a stay at this wonderful inn. Thanks again for the wonderful stay Kathleen.
Ronnie & Debbie

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Rollie114
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This was our third visit to Savannah, but first in a "B&B", previous visits to Savannah were hotel stays. We enjoy staying in "B&B" accommodation in Scotland, our home country, but our only previous experience in the US was not good. Kathleen, our hostess at The Olde Savannah Inn, has converted us to the "B&B" experience! From the welcoming wine and cheese on our arrival onwards, Kathleen proved herself to be a generous and attentive hostess and a wonderful cook. Thank-you, Kathleen, for your wonderful breakfasts, fresh-baked cookies, chocolate fudge cake and other little treats. Your Belgian waffles heaped with strawberries and whipped cream remain a vivid memory! It was lovely to sit in the beautifully appointed parlour, sipping port and admiring the magnificent chandeliers at the end of the evening. We really hit it off with Kathleen and enjoyed many hilarious conversations with her - we have certainly never laughed so much on any hotel stay! It was lovely, too, to chat with the other guests in the charming breakfast room - again something not usually experienced in hotels. Kathleen is a fund of knowledge on places to visit and where to eat and was always happy to help with recommendations.

The Inn is well located for an easy stroll down Abercorn Street and through the shady squares en route to the river promenade,and is only a short walk from all the major attractions, with Forsyth Park almost on the doorstep. There is ample short term parking in the nearby streets. We learned the hard way that the 2 day parking permit purchased from the Tourist Information Center does NOT cover Gaston Street so park overnight in Kathleen's private parking area unless you want to get up early to move your car!

We booked at the last minute so the only room left was "Bellevue" which, as described on the website for the Inn, has no window. This really wasn't a problem. The room was attractively furnished and the bed was very comfortable with crisp linen and lovely pillows.

We would definitely recommend The Olde Savannah Inn to friends or family visiting Savannah.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brenda C
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The Inn is located in the most perfect spot. My husband & I were interested in eating at a variety of restaurants, and so many of them were easily within walking distance. We were also right next to Forsyth Park which is very beautiful along with the many small square parks throughout the city. We are Catholic, and the beautiful St. John the Baptist Cathedral, along with many other churches, are within walking distance. The décor of the Inn is very beautiful and it is very clean. The king size bed was very comfortable and the bedding was top quality. I especially liked Kathleen's blueberry pancakes. Breakfast is always served with elegance & it was nice to chat with the other guests. Kathleen is ready to help/guide you in any way she can.

Room Tip: We stayed in the upstairs Renaissance Room. The old fashion tub/shower was a little difficult for u...