“Birthday Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Olde Savannah Inn
Ranked #5 of 33 Savannah B&B and Inns
“Birthday Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We had a great time at the Old Savannah inn for my birthday. We stayed in the Provence room which has an awesome shower and a nice private entrance. I would recommend this room as it has quick easy access from the Main Street. Kathleen is a good cook and we enjoyed the pancakes, scones, and her peach cobbler with amazing home made cream. We love dogs so we enjoyed Mr. Cooper who is a friendly rescue dog. You get parking in the back but it's not guaranteed since there are only 4 spots, and it's also a little tight if you have an SUV or truck you can't park there. Kathleen has an interesting personality, which I can understand would turn certain people off, but I thought she was very nice and accommodating. Overall, good experience for a great price in an amazing city.

Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Augusta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

We were warmly greeted at the door with hugs and kisses as Kathleen called us both by our names as if she had known us for years! As we walked into the immaculate home, we were offered wine noting the beginning of our relaxing weekend. Our lavish room was donned with highest quality of linen, towels, plush robes, and slippers. When we went out to explore the historic district we were a stones throw away from everything.

Room Tip: All the rooms were beautiful, one can't go wrong with any of them.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

The Olde Savannah Inn is beautifully put together! When I arrived, Kathleen already had a glass of wine at the ready and my relaxation began. Each room has its very own charm and is decorated with such attention to detail. My room was neat and clean, with fresh cookies waiting for me on the bedside table. It is evident that Kathleen cares so much for the comfort of her guests that you can't help but feel right at home. Plus, she can cooooook!!!!! Breakfast each morning was amazing! Bacon, sausage, creme brulee, and homemade whipped cream that tasted like ice cream. If you want to fully enjoy your trip in Savannah, I would recommend staying at the Olde Savannah Inn.

~ Christina G.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank christina g
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

We were impressed with Kathleen's personal touch with her one woman show. One block from Forsythe Park and a couple blocks from SCAD made this location perfect! After a 7hr car ride to Savannah, we appreciated the large soaking jacuzzi tub. The immediate welcome with fresh cookies, wine, cold water and stories of the Inn as well as dinner suggestions made us glad we chose this B&B. The breakfast exceeded our expectations. The candles, the flowers and the classical music made a fabulous backdrop to the delicious food and pleasant conversation. We would gladly return for another stay'

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank WilkinsonKCW
Franklin, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

This was our first trip to Savannah and our first time staying in a B&B, we had a fabulous time!! Kathleen and Mr. Cooper will be remembered always. The Inn was beautifully decorated, clean and the atmosphere was comforting. Each morning Kathleen prepared a delicious breakfast, and the setting was very elegant. We stayed in the Renaissance Room and loved it, the bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was roomy...and we loved the claw foot tub. We think Kathleen did an excellent job, being that she did everything by herself.

Ossining, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Upon the recommendation of a friend, we booked a three night stay at the Olde Savannah Inn. Beautiful room and bathroom, amazing breakfasts and a proprietor, Kathleen, who went out of her way to make our stay fantastic!

The four-poster bed was comfortable and the sheets felt like butter. The claw-foot tub was great and the towels were thirsty and luxurious.

Kathleen made our stay great as her knowledge and connections made it a breeze for us to eat and sight-see.

I HIGHLY recommend the Olde Savannah Inn and recommend Savannah for a few day trip of great sights and amazing food!.

Port st. Lucie
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Beautiful old fashioned home with a fancy feel and antique decor. Breakfasts were outstanding. Best blueberry pancakes we have ever had! We loved Mr. Cooper. He was a very well behaved and sweet dog. Kathleen was very pleasant upon arrival and had a piece of chocolate cake waiting for us in our room.

The Versailles room was magnificently decorated and the bathroom was beautiful.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and we appreciated the candor of Kathleen and her openness to speak to us on a personal level. She was very forthcoming on what it takes to run the home and how much effort she puts into it. For one person, it is indeed a daunting task, and we admired her efforts. However, she would be better off if she had help, which she chooses not to bring on for whatever reasons she may have. For example, we needed ice for our cooler, which she was not able to provide. She directed us to go to the store down the street to get a bag. We have stayed at other B&B's where not only is ice provided, but services were offered to pick up other items (a bottle of wine in this instance). A 5 star experience includes such services. Understandably, a one person show isn't in position to offer over-the-top requests (although ice is a normal request for hotels/inns). Also, upon showing up at 9:57 for our 10am breakfast, we were immediately told she wasn't ready for us yet, and were told to wait in the parlor until she was ready. Typically there is coffee/juice to drink prior to breakfast, and to maybe get to know other guests. But there was nothing put out for us. (Likewise, no wine or water for the evenings). We were to just wait. Again, more help might ease that burden of guests arriving "early" for breakfast. Regardless, the wait was minimal and the food was outstanding. I did have lipstick marks on my napkin (both mornings). I mentioned it the first time and Kathleen snatched the napkin from me and gave me another, saying that the lipstick doesn't come off. I felt petty for mentioning it at the time, but how about throw that napkin out? We are not complainers as life can be far more cruel than that, but at the same time paying for a service, things are rightfully expected. And paying customers ALWAYS have the right to feel entitled to the essentials.

Overall, the experience was very good. Beautiful house, great food, great location. Service was great for one person doing it all, but average in comparison to other B&B's we've stayed at.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank James-Hagen
kathleen55, Owner at The Olde Savannah Inn, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
To all the readers of this review, Please allow me to respond to this review and offer you another insight of this guest's stay. I would like to say thank you for your business and taking the time to write a review. I am going to touch on the topics that this guests gave us a 5 on. Mr. Cooper and how well behaved he is. It is unnatural for a beagle to be this quiet and reserved. He is an absolute treasure.What a good boy. An angel.. This inn is very elegantly designed with attention to detail throughout and yet it is a hallmark of comfort. My goal is to provide an intimate sanctuary of renewal and relaxation of the burdens of everyday life.. Upon arrival, there is an afternoon delight waiting for you with chilled water, white or red wine and port is offered in the parlor all day long. There is a selection of wine to purchase in the piano room on a silver tray for your convenience to have in your room during your stay. Unfortunately, we are only 5 rooms, we only have a residential refrigerator with a small ice maker. We do not have that amount of ice to fill large coolers so we always encourage a bag of ice at the liquor store 1 block away. Let's talk about my breakfast. I am honored that this guest had the best blueberry pancakes ever. This is my best time of the day. I apologize to this guest for being delayed 3 minutes to breakfast. I had a full 9: 00 breakfast and a table had just become open. I was challenged with several restricted diets and it was only a few minutes. I didn't realize this reviewer would be that upset As soon as he pointed out there was a touch of lipstick on his napkin, I took it from him, apologized and gave him a new one. I have thrown this napkin away ...I know this guest recommended me to have help. I have been running this inn by myself for 8 years with some employees over the years, it never works out. They don't get it. The attention to detail that is necessary to have everything in a pristine condition at all times. This inn has maintained a 5-star reputation but it is getting more difficult to please some people. This guest took advantage of the BOGO Sale so he got an amazing value for the Versailles Court. He paid 416.97 for 2 nights ...$184.00 per night in a $400 room. Because I am a small bed and breakfast, it would be difficult as a one woman show during checkins to run to the store and pick him up a bag of ice and a complimentary bottle of wine. I am sorry to disappoint this guest but is unreasonable. There is always wine and port offered on arrival and in the evening. Water is always served in the room on room service. If you need water at night, I always provide that. I actually give it again for trolley tours. I am always offering food, wine, water. I keep an urn in the kitchen 24 hours a day for tea, coffee, etc. I wouldn't put it in the parlor as this is a stately decor, not buffet style of a country inn.

. I asked him during his stay and on departure if he had any complaints and he gave me some of the highest praise on the way out. I thought for sure, he meant what he said. Once again, I read this guest wrong. I just wish that guest would be sincere during their stay and not wait to complain on tripadvisor or open forums as this is harmful to small business.