“I Was Robbed Twice”

Staybridge Suites Savannah Airport
Ranked #63 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two straight months with a film crew while working on a feature film in Savannah. During that time, cash was stolen out of my room on two different occasions - upwards of $900 total. Once out of my suitcase, once out of my dresser drawer. A colleague of mine also had $500 taken from his nightstand.

Complaints and police reports were filed, but very little was done about this. After the first set of robberies, we were told that the suspected offender was let go. After the second robbery, the electronic lock activity on my room door showed that one of my keys was used to open my room while I was at work. This led me to check my nightstand for my spare key, which was missing. Nobody but myself and the housekeeping staff were ever in my room. It appeared to me that the staff found my key in my nightstand and used it to enter my room, having already found where I was hiding my money in my drawer.

I told the manager - Jake - and the police all of this, but they only implied that a colleague of mine may have taken the key - not possible, as nobody was ever in my room - or that I dropped it somewhere - also not possible, as it stayed in my nightstand after the second day I arrived.

The manager went on vacation shortly after the second occurrence and I never heard from him or the police again. When I asked the front desk staff for information, they told me they were instructed by the manager not to discuss the robberies with me, or any of my crew.

I am in charge of booking hotels for film crews when traveling. I will never use this or any other Staybridge Suites for business or personal use again. I have already told my colleagues in the Savannah area - including my travel agent - about this and have encouraged them to do the same.

As an added bonus we learned upon checking out that group stays are not eligible for Priority Club points, so we lived there for two months and received zero points.

It should be noted that the front desk staff - specifically Megan, Karen, and Brooke - were always extremely helpful and pleasant. My negative experience lies solely with management and housekeeping.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Josh S
Jake A, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Savannah Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2013

Hi Josh,

Thanks for your comments. We regret that you didn’t have a perfect stay and apologize for the inconvenience. When you're here, you're like family, and we're glad that our service team took good care of you. Megan, Brook, and Karin appreciate your kind comment and say "hello!"

In the future, you may want to consider securing all valuables and cash in a hotel safety deposit box or in-room safe while traveling. This provides the greatest peace of mind for travelers. The police department's investigation was unable to substantiate your claim upon auditing the lock log and entry records for your suite. Even so, we did take measures to amend the situation.

In regards to the loyalty points for your stay, your group's travel coordinator specifically excluded eligibility as a point for price negotiation for the group.

I'd be happy to talk with you more directly if you'd like. Just give me a call at your convenience.

Best regards,

Reviewed 14 April 2013

We stayed here last week and this was a great place to stay. The people that work there are some of the nicest people I've met. You get a free hot breakfast every morning and a lite dinner with beer and wine every night. The rooms have bedrooms and the beds are very comfortable. Give it a try next time your in town!!!!

Room Tip: Sleep on the side away from the highway
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank salley j
Reviewed 4 April 2013

If you are using a discount bidding website to reserve your room, beware. This hotel charges an additional $25 per person above 2, but they do not provide a room with 2 beds. The room is spacious but dated. The sofa bed is terrible. I would not stay here again. I could have stayed at a much nicer hotel for the same money (after the additional charge).

Room Tip: Don't book through a bidding website to book this hotel or you will end up paying much more.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Jake A, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Savannah Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2013

Hi Tina,

Thanks for taking the time to post your comment. We're sorry you were displeased with the terms you agreed to when booking a reservation and also the room type your travel coordinator secured for you. As you know, we were sold out on the night of your stay and could not offer a room type different from what was reserved.

If you have specific requirements for future travel, it is helpful to contact the hotel directly prior to arrival. When we are aware of special needs, we're happy to help as we can. We look forward to seeing you again!

Hospitably,

Reviewed 2 April 2013

Great place to stay, but, we left some clothing hanging in the room after checking out. We called back to the hotel within a few hours but our clothes had 'vanished'. I suspect the room maids have our clothes and the hangers. I am calling the local police to report a theft. Advice? Watch your belongings carefully while at this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013
Jake A, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Savannah Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2013

Hi Mike,

Thanks for staying with us; I'm glad you consider us a great place to stay. We wish we had been able to find the outfit that you lost while traveling, but we just didn't find anything that matches the description you gave us. We did an thorough search of your suite, lobby, shuttle bus, luggage carts, lost and found lockers, and housekeeping areas---all to no avail. :(

You've indicated to our team that you'll be back soon, though. We appreciate that and look forward to seeing you again.

Best,

Reviewed 16 March 2013

Traveling south and got tired. I stopped and the front desk person was full of joy, this was at midnight! She was very helpful and friendly, making me feel welcome (a rarity in some places). My unit was awesome and I slept great.

Their hot breakfast is just like other hot breakfasts as far as eggs go. I just find the eggs always too salty in the scrambled and omelet. I am guessing they come out of the carton since everywhere they taste the same. ATLEAST they have fruit which is good.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank xangotraveler
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I consider this a motel, being that it is only 3 floors. The rooms are well appointed and I believe all of them have kitchenettes. The breakfast buffet is more than sufficient with hot and cold foods available. There is also a happy hour from 5:30-7:30 Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. There are lots of choices of snacks during happy hour. One cannot walk anywhere from this facility but there is a shuttle bus that can be called if you need to get something from a local store. Overall, excellent motel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank itzybee
Reviewed 9 March 2013

Absolutely one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. From the moment that you step in the place, you feel welcome and staff goes out of their way to ensure you have a great stay.

They host a social hour, 3 days a week, that is second to none. The menu changes each night but the Fresh "Create your own" Hoagie bar, salads etc were the best. Breakfast was great with a number of great options. Fresh fruit and coffee made for a great stay.

Room service was great and they kept room in top shape. My first choice when I have business in Savannah!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business