“Friendly, well located hotel.”

Holiday Inn Express Savannah - Historic District
Ranked #12 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed 10 June 2012

My husband and I stayed 5 nights at this hotel in May.
Check in was fast, and the service very friendly - they even gave us some bananas which we had been craving!
Our room was on the 8 th floor, overlooking Abercorn St and the river. It was fascinating watching the huge ships traveling up and down the river. The room was very large with a separate sitting area. It had a desk, chair, queen bed (which was excellent), chest of drawers, couch, TV, microwave, fridge and sink. The bathroom was also quite large with an enormous shower. It seemed fairly modern.
The room was very quiet (just a dull hum). The double glazed windows kept out the traffic noise and we did not hear a single sound from neighbors. The TV is widescreen but the picture is "stretched". However there are lots of stations and it is perfectly watchable.
There is a small rooftop pool and gym, but we did not use them as it wasn't that warm.
Breakfast is adequate. We stuck to cereal, bananas and bagels and then had coffee out as we like cappuchinos. There were cooked foods and pastries, muffins and scones if you wanted them.
The location of this hotel is excellent - you could walk everywhere in the historic district.
Before I finish I would like to make a special mention to a very helpful staff member. We left on the day of the "siege" when things were bit chaotic. We were worried about getting away as the doors were shut and the roads blocked. The girl at reception, Hope, reassured us that we would get away OK. She got us a taxi and walked us around the block and made sure we were in the taxi before she returned to the hotel. We really appreciate her help as we didn't want to miss the first of 3 connecting flights! Her friendly and helpful service typifies the service we received in this friendly hotel.
So needless to say we enjoyed our stay very much as this hotel met all our main criteria of friendly staff, quiet room, good bed, great location and excellent value for money. Thoroughly recommended.

1  Thank Swansforever
Write a ReviewReviews (2,570)

Reviewed 4 June 2012

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful stay in Savannah and the Holiday Inn. This was a great place to stay right in the center of town. The room was clean, the balcony was the absolute best and the breakfast bar was good and a great way to start your day. I can't wait to go back and visit. It is a good time when you can say everything went perfect and without a hitch.

Reviewed 4 June 2012

When we arrived there was a fierce storm which had caused the power to briefly turn off, causing the elevators and computer system to shut down. The staff dealt with the problem quickly and professionally and with a smile. Once the computers were up and running we were given our room key which was on the 6th floor. As the elevators were still down they offered us a room on the 1st floor but after 6 hours or so of driving we needed the exercise, but how nice to be offered.

Very clean, plush hotel with a pool and hot tub on the roof with good views. Small gym area as well and a nice bar on the ground floor. the bartender did an exceptional job of making everyone in the bar feel welcome by introducing any newcomer to the others at the bar and including them in the conversation, plus he made an excellent dirty martini!

Excellent location for walking around Savannah and easy to get to from the highway coming from either south or north.

Breakfast was average. Plenty of carb heavy breads and sweetened things, weak coffee, American bacon, dried egg mix, scrambled, that sort of thing. They did have fresh fruit though and lids for the coffee cups so you could take away if you chose to. Personally I like a European type breakfast so I can't really complain its just that it wasnt the sort of thing I like to eat.

All in all a very good hotel and Savannah was a nice place to visit, although if you're looking for a romantic weekend or somewhere a little quieter and more pretty visit Charleston in South Carolina instead, about an hour or so drive away.

Reviewed 4 June 2012

My husband and I spent a long weekend here in mid May and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The hotel has been renovated in the last several years and is quite charming, better that you would expect for a Holiday Inn Express. We had a lovely corner king room on the third floor...not high enough for a river view, but still quite nice with a couch, desk, fridge, sink and microwave and surprisingly no real noise from the busy streets below. The hotel is convenient to everything...River Street, trolly stops, restaurants, bars, etc. The staff is friendly and helpful, especially Gustavo in the bar. He's a very nice young man who makes it a point to ask your name and introduce you to everyone else in the bar. The only negative is the wi fi. Fodor's claims a strong signal throughout, but we did not find that to be the case. We were able to pick up wi fi from the Hampton Inn next door, but had to get a cable from the front desk to get internet. All in all, a great vacation and we would definitely stay there again.

Reviewed 3 June 2012

My colleague and I shared a room in this hotel while we were in Savannah for a conference. First, the hotel fully charged my credit card before I even began my stay. This happened after I called to ask them if they could split the charge between the two of us because I was coming early and she was leaving late. I was assured that I could do it on check in or any time during my stay. Then the next day, they charged the whole stay to my credit card.

When I arrived, the people at the front desk were friendly, but I had to wait while they finished a personal conversation to check in. My room was fine for the most part. But they had black out curtains that only covered the sides of the window! Why would you even have them in the room if there is no way to pull them across and block out sunlight to get a little extra sleep in the morning?

The internet connection was unstable the entire time. My colleague had no internet for the last two days that she stayed there.

My finance troubles continued when, again, despite asking them to give a receipt to my colleague since I was leaving early, they never did. Now I'm going to have to find a way to get them to mail me a receipt so I might get reimbursed for my travel.

The location is great and breakfast was good, but I'm not sure why everyone raves about it. I've been to many hotels, and although this was slightly better, it wasn't amazing. I'd recommend against this hotel any day. It's definitely the worst Holiday Inn I've ever stayed in.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Gena T
Management response:Responded 14 July 2012

Dear Gena T,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Savannah-Historic District, Savannah, GA. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Zelyn N.
Case Manager
IHG Care

Reviewed 1 June 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights and we liked it do well we extended our stay for 2 more. Our room was very comfortable, very quite. We had a lovely view of the river. This hotel is in a great location. You can walk to so many places. Valet was great, worth the daily fee. Staff is very friendly. Clean rooms. When we come back we will stay here.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 31 May 2012

This hotel seems to have been renovated fairly recently - everything seems very new. It has a really excellent location, one block from the riverfront and pretty much dead center east to west in the historic district. The price was reasonable (Valet parking is extra) and the staff very friendly and helpful. There's a very nice rooftop pool and small but adequate exercise room on the ground floor. Breakfast is included and if you can't find something you really like at breakfast you must not like breakfast - it's good with lots of choices.
This is not a luxury hotel but for location, service and amenities you can't beat this.

1  Thank two-lerts