“Perfect Location... Great Room for the $.”

Holiday Inn Express Savannah-Historic District
Ranked #12 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Richmond, Virginia
“Perfect Location... Great Room for the $.”
Reviewed 25 July 2009

We made our reservations based on many of the reviews on this site, so I felt compelled to say we agree with the awesome reviews this hotel was given. First of all, we booked several months before our stay, and for around $120/night, we felt we got our money's worth. I requested a corner King room at the time of booking, and we were given exactly that. We were on the 2nd floor which was high enough to see the river and watch the street below. (The room was still very quiet, though.) The decor in the room is very updated, making it feel a step above a Holiday Inn Express for sure. From walking past rooms that were being cleaned, it did seem the corner room was a little more spacious and had a bit more character.
The location was great... basically a block from the river, close to everything, really. It was perfect for our reservations at The Old Pink House- it's RIGHT behind the hotel- so, I didn't have to walk far in my heels! It was great to be so close to everything and for it not to be a pain to drop off shopping or pop in for short rest.
The bartender, Becky, is just as good as everyone said- we had one drink one evening, yet when we went back two nights later, she remembered what we ordered! Some had commented on rude staff- and I see their point- not all of the desk associates seemed... happy, but it wasn't to the point where I felt we weren't taken care of- and others were beyond sweet and helpful... so, you know, there is always someone that isn't full of personality! My only other SMALL concerns was that the Wi-Fi was S-L-O-W (but there are two computers available in the lobby) and the shower wasn't full of power, but was still okay.
There was plenty of seating at breakfast- even though the hotel was full, and there was plenty of selection- even hard boiled eggs! Just make sure you take water or other groceries you might want with you- the CVS is a couple blocks away, and is the only place we saw to get that sort of stuff... not a lot of convenience type stores in the historic district.
Parking, like everyone else said- is simple- the garage is right beside the hotel, so why pay for valet? The garage has an elevator, so getting our luggage to our room ourselves wasn't a big deal. We noticed that the lot was often full though, so I think we got lucky when we parked, and since we never moved our car while we were there, it wasn't a problem for us. We just told the girl upon check out that we didn't use the valet and we weren't charged for it.
This is the perfect place to stay if you want a modern, clean, reasonably priced hotel right in the middle of everything in the historic district!

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TravelFoodWine07

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (603)
  • Arabic first
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 24 July 2009

Am I really in a Holiday Inn Express?? This hotel not only exceeded all of my expectations, it blew them out of the water. The hotel is pristine, the rooms incredibly comfortable, the location convenient, and all for such a great value. The real surprise was the quality of the staff. Every single person we met - housekeeping, valet, front desk, breakfast servers, bar staff, etc. etc. were incredibly friendly and truly wanted us to have the best experience possible. How can one hotel have so many great people on staff? Who knows, but without exaggeration this is the best hotel staff I've ever encountered.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank AllisonC
Illinois
Reviewed 22 July 2009

This hotel is in a great location! We arrived in Savannah around noon. We decided to take the 2pm Oglethorpe tour of the city before checking in. We passed the hotel on the tour, so we had a good idea of where it was located. The main entrance is not on Bay Street, but around the corner. Another member had relayed this information in a review of the hotel. Parking is right next door. It is shared with the Hampton Inn. Our room faced East Bay Street. I was a bit concerned as to the noise level during the night....either I was very tired, or the noise level was almost nonexistent! This Holiday Inn Express had a very nice complimentary hot breakfast each morning. They also had chocolate chip cookies, lemonade, and coffee in the lobby. We are Priority Club members. Upon arrival, we were given a goodie bag ...three mints, and one bottle of water. I thought that was a bit unusual. We did receive our daily newspaper. I had to ask for a copy of the bill upon check-out. No one had slipped it under our door the night before. Not a major inconvenience. The young woman at the desk seemed surprised that we hadn't received the bill the night before. The room was very nice. It had a flat screen tv. Beds were comfortable. There is a rooftop pool as well as a fitness center. I only wish we would have had the time to take advantage of the pool! My only negative comment would be that there was no concierge in attendance at this hotel (Thursday-Saturday). When I asked at check-in, the young woman just laughed and said he/she probably would not be there at all. Luckily, I had an itinerary that I had put together before coming to Savannah with advice from other TripAdvisors and their suggestions. This hotel is right across from the river and all the shops and restaurants. I would definitely stay here again!

1 Thank Penelope1975
Covington, Virginia
Reviewed 18 July 2009

This was heaven on earth. After the parking hassle of the next door garage as I entered the door of this hotel my stress was relieved instantly. From the very friendly desk staff to the room staff everyone was so friendly. We had a wonderful stay with a room with a balcony to watch the goings on along the street. It was a bit of noise but have you every stayed in a big city............please nothing to compare, it was worth it. We are saving for a return trip in 2010. Counting the days now.........

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Larry M
MD/PA
Reviewed 17 July 2009

We stayed here for two nights and we will stay here again. The staff was wonderful. The only other place we have been treated so well is at Disney, as vacation club members. The room was nice and clean. The breakfast was good for what it is. Location is perfect. We have three children and required a roll a way bed. It was a tight fit but it worked. My daughter said it was comfortable. Some hotels don't even offer the roll a way bed for a third child. One of the reasons we booked this hotel was for the rooftop pool and were disappointed it was under construction. I took our youngest to the hotel next door to swim and he loved it. Renovations happen, we still had fun.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank heatmike
Plano, TX
Reviewed 16 July 2009

We likewise booked the hotel for the rooftop pool to see the fireworks and were told we could not go up there. Every day prior to the 4th we checked and every day they told us the next day. We went to the roof several times and it wasn't even being worked on. Very disappointing and the alternative was to go across the street to the sister hotel which was packed with people in the same predicament. We had also booked many months in advance and requested a river facing room. We were given one facing the parking garage. They did move us on our second day. Otherwise, it is a nice hotel and the staff is super friendly. Breakfast is decent but get there early or you will stand in line. Great location.

2 Thank JSBlumer
South Carolina
Reviewed 15 July 2009

It is super hot in Savannah. I didn't have too many amenities that I was searching for in a hotel when I booked my trip, BUT A POOL WAS ONE OF THEM. The hotel was very nice and clean and the room was also nice. The bed was comfy. But I feel like they are not being genuine with their customers by advertising a beautiful roof top pool, that is UNAVAILABLE. I would not have booked this hotel had I known. The staff's solution is to let the guests use the pool across the street at the Hampton Inn. When we tried to go over there we discovered the pool is very small and it was packed (because double the guests were using it). If you do not care about a pool then the hotel is great, but I did not like the fact that the pool issue was not disclosed online or via phone. If you need a ride call Mr. Tony Smith when in Savannah of Seaport Transportation. He was very nice and had useful info.

3 Thank Barrinattles