“Great location, beautiful decorations, will visit again”

Holiday Inn Express Savannah-Historic District
Ranked #12 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Near Boston, MA
“Great location, beautiful decorations, will visit again”
Reviewed 7 August 2009

Found this hotel through trip advisor and its reviewers. I stayed on a trip along the I95 corridor and wanted to avoid the horrible hotels you find near the highway. It is about 15min drive on I-16 from I-95.

The hotel is very centrally located in the historic distric. We got the 5th floor and could see the huge cargo ship flowing up the river. The famous River street is just across the hotel and one of the 20 city squares is located behind the hotel.

From the moment we walked, we knew this was going to be a great hotel. The smell was very inviting and the hardwood floors in the lobby were to die for. The decorations through out the lobby area and room were amazing.

We had a microwave and fridge in the room, along with an LCD TV. We were given the handicap room so the bathroom was huge. There are a couple of minor problems that I have to mention and I also told the front desk staff who very quickly called the manager and gave us a very large credit to our rate.

First, there was urine in the toilet and some hairs on the tub. I was very suprised because everything else look impecable. We checked the sheets and they were clean so we decided to stay. The next day we also found a half empty bottle of soda in the fridge, so I'm guessing house cleaning must have goofed and that's why the manager was so generous.

Second minor problem was the metal strip that holds the carpet down right outside the bathroom threshold had some small nails that pricked my heel when I walked over it. Don't misunderstand this part. This is really minor. Carpets are held down along the edges of walls by laying down a metal strip with small sharp spikes. Typically the carpets are thick enough that you won't feel this, specially since we don't walk along the edge of the walls but in this instance, it was right next to the threshold and I felt it when I stepped out. I didn't break skin so I wouldn't again worry too much about it. I, of course, mentioned this to the front desk so they could fix it.

The hotel is located on a busy street so you may hear some traffic noise in the morning.

Breakfast was in a large and nicely decorated room. It had plenty of continental items and a few hot items (eggs, bacon, grits, etc).

Finally, parking is not free. You can use their valet parking which is $15 to drive the car to the public parking building right adjacent to the hotel. You can park yourself there but I don't know how much it would be since I use the valet parking.

Overall, we were all extremely pleased and will visit again.

BTW, the Hampton Inn is also across this hotel and I was told owned and managed by the same investors. If they took the same care in building/upgrading this building as they did for the Holiday Inn, we would consider it as well.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank roger_northeast

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (597)
  • Arabic first
Maryland
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Stayed at this brand new hotel perfectly situated for tourists in the Historic District. Everything was sparkling clean, employees were friendly and helpful, and parking was close and secure. The only things disappointing at all were that the pool was closed for repairs, and the breakfast area was a bit overcrowded and the food quality for the included breakfast not quite as good as some other Holiday Inn Express's we've stayed at (B- instead of B+ food). View from the room was outstanding-- the huge ships on the river seem to go right by your window (they're a several hundred yards away- don't worry). Other than that, this is one of the best properties in the HI Express chain and we've stayed at many.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank jazzfestivus
Scottsdlale, Arizona
Reviewed 1 August 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel in May for 2 nights. We were very surprised to find a Holiday Inn Express with this standard. The hotel is just over one year old and has done a wonderful job in appointing the rooms, very modern, upscale material and furniture and very functional. The breakfast in a very pleasant breakfast room is included. There is a bar open in the afternoons, a garage next door for your car and most of all, one can walk everywhere around the historic district. It is just across the street from the Savannah river and the River Walk.
Most of all, the personnel was extremely friendly and helpful.
And, last but not least, for Savannah hotel rates, we found it very reasonable.

Sigrid and Denis Egan
Scottsdale, Arizona

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sigrid E
Washington
Reviewed 31 July 2009

I really liked this Holiday Inn. Motorcycle parking was allowed under the portico near the entry. My king room was perfect. Very clean, well stocked - no complaints. Bed was very comfortable. It had a bar downstairs that opened at 4PM. The bartender, Beckie, would recommend a different restaurant based on what guests wanted to eat and she was not shy about steering you away from places with bad food or staff. She then would call ahead for you. Super service. Bell staff was great. The front desk could use a little higher end caliber of people or better training - not sure there. Don't let that stop you. Stay here. You will love it.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank WashingtonRider58
Birmingham, Al
Reviewed 28 July 2009

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, Historic District and I loved it. The staff was very friendly, the hotel was beautiful, and the rooms were very nice, and they came with a fridge and microwave. The only downfall, was the breakfast, it was o.k., they had toast, eggs, sausage, biscuits, cereal, etc., but no waffles, and I love hotel waffles. I ask the food management why they didnt have waffles, and she said because it was a Holiday Inn Express, so breakfast has to e more continental style, she said the regular Holiday Inn could have waffles. Other than the breakfast, location was perfect. And if you don't plan on driving your car once you park it in garage, I would just pay the $10.00 per day to park, and not $15.00 which holiday inn charges, but if you plan to go to tybee Island, I would pay the hotel parking rate, because you can move your car as many times as you like and will be charged 1 flat rate. So, I would go back to this hotel again and stay, would have been perfect stay if had waffles.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Sunny2001
North Carolina
Reviewed 27 July 2009

Stayed here for a "girls' trip". The hotel is in a great location. We were able to walk every where we wanted to go. Also, loved that the hotel is across from Factors Walk and River Street. After some hesitation, we decided on the valet parking. This was a very good decision. We didn't have to deal with the hassle of parking. We didn't even need the car again until we checked out. Oh, and the cinnamon rolls were awesome at the breakfast. Only one issue, there are only 2 elevators, and they are slow.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank brewer74
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 25 July 2009

We made our reservations based on many of the reviews on this site, so I felt compelled to say we agree with the awesome reviews this hotel was given. First of all, we booked several months before our stay, and for around $120/night, we felt we got our money's worth. I requested a corner King room at the time of booking, and we were given exactly that. We were on the 2nd floor which was high enough to see the river and watch the street below. (The room was still very quiet, though.) The decor in the room is very updated, making it feel a step above a Holiday Inn Express for sure. From walking past rooms that were being cleaned, it did seem the corner room was a little more spacious and had a bit more character.
The location was great... basically a block from the river, close to everything, really. It was perfect for our reservations at The Old Pink House- it's RIGHT behind the hotel- so, I didn't have to walk far in my heels! It was great to be so close to everything and for it not to be a pain to drop off shopping or pop in for short rest.
The bartender, Becky, is just as good as everyone said- we had one drink one evening, yet when we went back two nights later, she remembered what we ordered! Some had commented on rude staff- and I see their point- not all of the desk associates seemed... happy, but it wasn't to the point where I felt we weren't taken care of- and others were beyond sweet and helpful... so, you know, there is always someone that isn't full of personality! My only other SMALL concerns was that the Wi-Fi was S-L-O-W (but there are two computers available in the lobby) and the shower wasn't full of power, but was still okay.
There was plenty of seating at breakfast- even though the hotel was full, and there was plenty of selection- even hard boiled eggs! Just make sure you take water or other groceries you might want with you- the CVS is a couple blocks away, and is the only place we saw to get that sort of stuff... not a lot of convenience type stores in the historic district.
Parking, like everyone else said- is simple- the garage is right beside the hotel, so why pay for valet? The garage has an elevator, so getting our luggage to our room ourselves wasn't a big deal. We noticed that the lot was often full though, so I think we got lucky when we parked, and since we never moved our car while we were there, it wasn't a problem for us. We just told the girl upon check out that we didn't use the valet and we weren't charged for it.
This is the perfect place to stay if you want a modern, clean, reasonably priced hotel right in the middle of everything in the historic district!

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple