“Best Inn Ever”
Review of Foley House Inn

Foley House Inn
Ranked #8 of 30 Savannah B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Let me start with a few adjectives about Foley House: exquisite, stellar, elegantly charming, friendly, welcoming, genuinely awesome! Standouts are the friendly, welcoming staff and the food--full breakfast (best biscuits anywhere), afternoon homemade delicious sweets with tea and coffee, and plentiful wine and appetizers in the early evening. Our period-decorated room was heavenly--and spacious. Lovely classical music plays in the two adjoining drawing rooms (where meals are served as well) as a background for chatting with delightful guests. And I can't forget LOCATION. It's in the heart of Savannah's Historic District, perfect for seeing the loveliest of cities. Thank you, Foley House folks, for providing us with the best stay anywhere, ever.

Room Tip: We had the one-bedroom suite, and it was perfect in every way.
1  Thank Diane R

Reviewed 30 April 2014

The Foley House Inn is my favorite place to stay in Savannah. The hotel is charming and beautiful. The staff always make me feel like "one of the family". The rooms are comfortable and interesting, which is what you would expect from a B&B on Chippewa Square. I've been lucky enough to stay in a few different rooms and each one has its own character. Their breakfast is delicious and perfect before heading out for the day. Also, the location is great, which is another reason I love this place. Easy access to everything in Savannah, like fantastic restaurants and landmarks. The experience is always wonderful and I'll continue to stay here whenever I'm in area. If you plan to visit Savannah, make it a point to stay at the Foley House. You will love it as much as I do!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the inn have a great view of Chippewa Square.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Decided on a spring break in Savannah. Our first B&B stay
& it was great. Everybody was so friendly & the staff who greeted us Chuck & Melodie (who was new) were so helpful & always willing & available. We could walk everywhere from that location & always looked forward to returning late afternoon for 'tea' with plenty of home baked goodies. After that the complimentary Wine & Port with more snacks & great conversation visiting with other guests from all over.
We are planning a return trip soon & will stay again in the wonderful Foley House inn. Oh did I mention we stayed in room 401 on the top floor. With views over the park where Forest Gump's bench stood.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank yakushmut
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Good first. Great location. Kitchen staff very friendly. Free water.
Bad. Worst bed I have ever slept in. Lumpy and terrible pillows. Didn't sleep. Stayed in room 205. Don't stay in there. I was very disappointed. Other rooms apparently better. The chairs in the room were not comfortable. Had no where to relax.

4  Thank LAXbuzz
Reviewed 21 April 2014

After staying 3 nights at the Market Pavilion in Charleston, we planned on staying 3 nights at the Foley House Inn in Savannah. Big mistake. We should have done it in the reverse because the Market Pavilion was simply magnificent in every way and the Foley House Inn was such a disappointment (in every way except for location). Perhaps had we done it in the reverse, we wouldn’t have been quite as disappointed. But I doubt it.

It was expensive. In relation to what you got and the Inn and room itself, it was expensive! Waay too much money – not enough bang for the buck. The building itself is old. I don’t mind that. In fact, my husband and I often look for that old world charm and authenticity. But everything was old, kind of dirty and run down. There was a nice parlor right after entering, in which you could sit and sip wine or talk to the others at the inn. There was the “dining room” which was adjacent to the parlor, which didn’t have quite enough tables in it to seat everyone during breakfast (so you had to make a time to eat) or tea time or wine time, so the overflow had to go into the parlor. And that’s pretty much all I can comment on with regard to the house, other than our room, as we did not see any other part of the house. Kind of old, very dark, not overly well maintained.

And then there was our room. We stayed in Room 301 – I think it was called the Easton Lodge. You open the door to this room and you are standing in the threshold of the bathroom. Yes, you walk into the bathroom when entering the room. We were hysterical. Really, the toilet can be seen from the opened door so you just have to hope no one is using it when you come in, because anyone in the hallway at that moment can see in with a direct line of sight. This bathroom is an accident waiting to happen. There was a large, rusty Jacuzzi which I wouldn’t use, and 3 stairs going up (yes, stairs in the bathroom, with a rail) to the toilet. This was not a room for anyone older than us (we are in our early 60s). I could easily see being disoriented at night and falling down those stairs. The towels we thin, rough and shabby. The bathrobes were a nice touch (as were the Aveda toiletries). The sink and everything else about this bathroom was badly in need of a facelift. There was one small sink with not enough area around it to put our necessities so some of our toiletries were put on the top of the mantle of the fireplace in the bedroom.

Then there was the bed. Gross. Really. Gross. The sheets were disgusting. No other word for it. Disgusting. Shame on them. And the bed creaked terribly and felt like a trampoline. So every time one of us moved, the other was bouncing around until the other got settled. And the whole time, I was afraid of the sheet slipping off and exposing the absolutely disgusting blanket that was in between the 2 disgusting sheets. Didn’t sleep well.

Now just to touch on housekeeping - I don’t know what they did other than pull up the sheets already on the bed and tuck them in. When we returned to our room, the bathrobe I had worn and dropped on the couch was still in the same position, and there was a candy wrapper on the floor (it was definitely one of ours – I must not have seen it when I dropped it, but then again, I wasn’t supposed to cleaning the room). So much for housekeeping.

On to the food and the staff. Chuck was very nice, and the kitchen staff that served breakfast was fabulous. Lovely, lovely women with a smile on their faces, willing to help in any way they could. The food: disappointing. Breakfast was essentially the same every day – some sort of eggs with sausage (no bacon offering) and cereal (no yogurt offering either). Food gets a solid D. Pretty lousy. There was tea time at around 3 with some sweets and iced tea. Basic – cheesecake, brownies, cookies. No more than average. Nothing special. And at 6 there was wine (both white and red) offered with hors d’oeuvres. Nice touch but not particularly good on either account.

The front desk people were not correct in the information they gave us, so if you do decide to go, double check everything they tell you. They were wrong twice.

Overall, the Foley House Inn was (hugely) overpriced and a tremendous disappointment. The one positive here was it’s great location. We could walk everywhere. But there were tons of other places to stay. Pass on this one. No. Really. Pass.

PS - I'm giving "service" a rating of 2, but that does NOT include the kitchen staff.

Room Tip: DO NOT pick the Easton Lodge - Room 301. Dirty, old, dingy.
3  Thank jsc0626
foleyinnowner, Owner at Foley House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

I am very sorry this guest did not enjoy her stay at the Foley House Inn. As you might expect I do not agree with her assessment of the property. It is our intention to be sure that every guest enjoys their stay and there is not much I wouldn't do to ensure that. She has a very long list of complaints about us so rather than go through them one by one I want to tell you about this property.

The Foley House Inn is a 19 room AAA 4-Diamond property with a staff of 15 people that have a single goal...To make our guests happy. This building was built in 1860 and is a beautiful historic treasure in Savannah. We serve and outstanding breakfast that is different everyday. We serve things like Pineapple Upside Down French Toast. Banana Muffins with Streusel Topping, Buttermilk Peach Pecan Pancakes, Fruit-Filled French Toast Wraps, Corned Beef Hash Cakes with Poached Eggs. And always eggs any style. Our afternoon sweets and evening Hors D'oeuvres are all prepared in house by our wonderful chef. Our rooms are all unique (and certainly not rundown or dirty) and our location outstanding. Our evening wine reception is always complimentary...we never charge extra for anything. We have rates that start below $199. When you consider the historic property, the location, the wonderful staff and food I believe The Foley House Inn to be an outstanding value.

And here is the most important part...If you arrive and you are disappointed or something is not to your standards let us know and we will fix it or we will refund your money. It's just that simple. When I spoke to this guest after reading the review I asked her who she told on our staff that things were not right and she said she did not tell anyone. I am sorry she was unhappy but given the chance, I know we could have made her stay special. She stayed for 3 nights and never let us know she had any complaints. I do not agree with her assessment of the property or our food but I wish I could of had the chance to fix it for her.

Grant Rogers
Owner, The Foley House Inn

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Excellent service even during Masters week! Comfortable beds very good breakfast and friendly staff! The bathroom was great with huge jacuzzi tub and a throne for a toilet. No paranormal activi but the place was great for walking to bars, restaurants, and river walk. We will be returning with friends soon.

Room Tip: I would like a room with a balcony next time we go.
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

This was our first staying at a bed and breakfast, as well as our first trip to Savannah, and we were not disappointed at all. Savannah is an absolutely beautiful city, and I can't wait to come back. When we do come back down, we will definitely be staying at the Foley House. From the moment we walked in the door, we were greeted with smiles and friendly faces. I hate that I can't remember the girl's name who checked us in when we arrived close to six Sunday afternoon but she was amazing. The guests were extremely friendly as well. We stayed in the Beekham room which is located in the carriage house. The room was extremely cute and very comfortable. We were also traveling with our dog Chloe who tried to crawl into the laps of the girls sitting at the front desk everytime we came in the door hahaha the girls were super sweet and showered her with love though and didn't seem to mind. They were EXTREMELY pet friendly. When we checked in, we were given a list of pet friendly restaurants as well as a bag of doggy treats. This was a gorgeous place to stay in a gorgeous city and I can't wait to come back. If the owners happen to come across this review - Thank y'all so much for a wonderful stay!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple