“Nice Place ... Great Service”
Review of Foley House Inn

Foley House Inn
Ranked #7 of 31 Savannah B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Nice Place ... Great Service”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Great location and excellent service . Christine and Chuck were excellent hosts and the staff was very pleasant and the service great. I would of liked a little more variety in the breakfast choices but the food was good. The rooms were nicely decorated but could use some fine tuning such as paint touch up and floor refinishing none of which would not let me recommend the Foley Inn for a stay in Savannah. The tea and sweets in the afternoon , wine and snacks in the evening as well as the decanter of port wine left on the piano during the day are pleasant added bonuses.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
Centennial, Colorado
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I'm still patting myself on the back for finding this gem in beautiful, historic Savannah, GA. The Foley House Inn is stunning. My room was tastefully decorated, clean and more than comfortable. The staff was very helpful with my bags and made some great restaurant and tour recommendations.

I was really impressed with all of the extra (and free!) treats and refreshments they offered in the afternoon and evening (this girl loves some shortbread).

I don't normally stay in B&Bs when I'm traveling on business, but I'll be reconsidering that given my experience here. And maybe even looking for more Savannah clients to visit here so I can come back again and again and again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I live in Savannah and chose the Foley House Inn because it was on the Savannah St. Patrick's Day parade route and would provide a good place to watch for my husband and I and our two small children. It was worth every penny! I loved the historic aspect of the property- the furniture and amenities look vintage but were very modern and comfortable. And my kids loved the history and hearing about the ghost of Mrs. Foley. Even though it clearly a very busy weekend, the staff was very polite and courteous throughout our stay- even when my children got a little bored and rambunctious during the rainy parade. I was disappointed at first to see that we were given a room on the ground floor because I thought we might hear some street noise, but I was pleasantly surprised. The room was pretty quiet (even during the parade) and gave us great access to the courtyard.

Overall, it was a really great experience and we are probably going to book again for another "staycation."

Room Tip: The Foley House is an historic inn so there are a lot of stairs. If you have trouble getting around...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Buckingham
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Very run down Inn in need of a facelift. What you see on the website must be a past image of this Inn - it bears very little resemblance to the current state it is in.

Rooms not very clean, sheets threadbare and fraying, outside courtyards need a sweep and tidy. Very very disappointing given the high room rates. Just because it is a period property is no excuse for the poor decor and cleanliness.

We had to clamber into the "shower" as it was above the "whirlpool" jacuzzi bath. Very uncomfortable and the water pressure was next to none. Noise levels from the room above who also clearly had a jacuzzi bath, as well as an active love life, were horrendous, as was the noise from the streets of tourbuses etc very late at night. None of this information was given to us beforehand. There is no lift and we had no assistance, nor offer of assistance with our luggage when departing although we were helped on arrival.

Our bedroom had nowhere to hang clothes - the armoire had a TV in it! We were advised there was a rail in the bathroom.It was no substitute for a wardrobe and had 3 hangers between 2 of us. We ended up taking the TV out of the dirty and dusty armoire, cleaning it and then putting our clothes in it.

Staff were polite but unfriendly and disinterested except for the breakfast cook and breakfast staff. Home cooked breakfasts were wonderful but the freebies of wine/cake/snacks in the afternoon did not diminish the overpriced cost of such poor quality lodgings.

We were travelling in the Carolinas and stayed in some superb Inns which cost less than this place which seems to be resting on its laurels and an historic reputation.I rarely complain about hotels or Inns as you can see from my reviews but this was a "Rip Off". Never again!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere - there are no good rooms and you will get no sleep
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Louise S
foleyinnowner, Owner at Foley House Inn, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay at the Foley House Inn. It sounds as if you were not comfortable in your room. Your room did face the front of the Inn so you can hear some cars and horse carriages during the day. We do face one of the squares so I have always found it to be rather quiet in the evening. The Inn was built 150 years ago as a private home so the arrangement in some of the rooms are not what you would find in a chain hotel. Our AAA 4-Diamond rating requires us to have our HD televisions in an enclosed cabinet so in that room is is inside of an armoire. There is a clothes having area one side of the very large bath. There should have been 10 hangers in your room. I apologize that it was not the case.

In 1865 when the Inn was built there were no elevators. We do have staff on hand at all times to carry bags and you should have been offered assistance. I am sorry that no one helped you to the second floor with your bags. I will talk to the staff about this. As far as the noise from the room upstairs I can say the we do not get many complaints about noise from other rooms based on the how thick the walls and floors are in our historic building but it sounds like the charm of our Inn brought out the best in the coupe upstairs.

I do disagree with several of your assertions. First is that the inn does not look like the photos on our website. This is untrue. The photos are all recent as we just launched a new website about a year ago and they are an excellent representation of the rooms as are the videos. There is a video of every room on the website. The furnishings are very nice and representative of the period that the house was built. We replace things that are worn all the time. In no way is this property "run down" I understand that you did not care for for accommodations but we would have been happy to find another room for you at our inn that you may have liked better. Unlike a chain hotel every room is different and unique. It is one of the many beauties of our property.

Finally I will say that I absolutely disagree with you about our staff. We have 15 employees that love their jobs and I'm not just saying that because I am the boss. Please read our other reviews and you will find one after another talks about how great they are. I see them everyday deal with a huge variety of personalities with charm and good nature. All of them have worked with us for years and several have work din the hospitality industry for decades. They take great pride in what they do and in our beautiful property. I wouldn't trade one of them for the world.

I have a simple policy at the Foley House Inn. If you don't like something we will fix it. We have 19 rooms and there are lots of ways for us to make you happy. However I do realize that we are not the right property for every one as if you don't like what you see we will be happy to find another inn or hotel to your liking. You are correct that we are not the least expensive place to stay by a long shot. Our rates range fro $150 to almost $400 and you are correct that for that kind of money you should be happy. We include and amazing breakfast, sweets and tea and wonderful wine social in the evening that is all include with your room rate. But if you are not happy, please let us know and we will make you happy or we will find a place that will make you happy and we will never charge you for unused nights. I guarantee it.

Grant Rogers,
Owner, Foley House Inn
800-647-3708
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Our stay @ the Foley Inn was delightful all the way around. We chose the elopement package and were married in beautiful Savannah May 28, 2014. Despite the rain, Chiquita took care of all the details and we had a beautiful ceremony in Whitefield Square. The room (Stafford - 204) was enormous. The bed was very comfortable & the bathroom, an oasis. We loved the balcony overlooking beautiful Chippewa Square and breakfast every morning was delicious, not to mention the yummy sweets & savory snacks served in the afternoon & evening with sweet tea and wine. Parking can be a bit tricky, but luckily we didn't have a problem finding a spot at all. We highly recommend you consider staying at the Foley Inn for your visit to lovely & historical Savannah, you won't be sorry.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Keri3485
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Our stay was really enjoyable. The location is perfect - walking distance to sites and stores (although parking can be interesting, but a pass is available - just be sure starting date is correct :). The staff, India, Melodie, Chuck, and others were wonderful. The food was excellent. Never knew grits could be made not just edible, but enjoyable.

Room Tip: Try to get a view of the front street if you like hearing horses trotting by.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Derrek T
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Visiting from Virginia, my mom and I stayed at the Foley House back in January, at the recommendation of my boss, who grew up in Savannah.

Everything was perfect.

From the moment we arrived, every inn employee we encountered was so helpful and seemed sincerely sweet. The entire walk from Chippewa Square up to our room was gorgeous. Even the staircase, lush and carpeted, made us feel like queens. We stayed in the Bredby, where the fireplace welcomed us back from our days of wandering through an unusually cold Savannah. So did the evening wine and appetizers served in the living and dining rooms.

Breakfast was an absolute treat. Coffee, juices, eggs, sweet as well as savory options - the menu has everything anyone would want right after waking up. But when my mom and I saw that grits were a part of the meal every day, with delectable herb and cheese combinations, that's when we knew we were in heaven.

In terms of the Foley House's location, we could tell we were staying in the heart of Savannah. We love being able to walk places so it was great to have both the river and Forsyth Park within reasonable distances, along with all the restaurants,homes, shops, and cemeteries in between.

And finally: "There's port on the piano." Nothing more beautiful has ever been said.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family