“A Honeymoon to forever remember”
Review of Foley House Inn

Foley House Inn
Ranked #7 of 30 Savannah B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed at the Foley House for our honeymoon from May 18-20, 2014. The atmosphere was amazing and very quaint and cozy. Our room was very nice with a very historic feel to it...and very romantic I must add. Perfect for our honeymoon get away!

The staff there were all very friendly and accommodating. We learned, however, that Katie's last day was the day we were leaving. She was headed home to California and I am certain she will be missed by all the guests of the Foley House, past and present (from May 20, 2014 anyway). She was very helpful is getting the room booked and helping my husband plan the best surprise of our honeymoon.....a horse and buggy ride!! I LOVED IT and it made me cry tears of joy!!

The only two negative things I could say was:

1) We lost power the morning we were to leave (they didn't pay their power bill....JUST KIDDING!!! They were doing work on the street the Foley House was on and had to turn the power off for a few hours and that's the honest truth!) And

2) Parking was a bit hectic...you have to pay for parking from Monday-Friday and we misunderstood the lady who was working when we checked in and ended up getting a parking ticket. The Foley House SOLD us a parking pass for $7 a day. It just seemed for the cost of the room a parking pass would have been included but $14 is not going to ruin the time we had there or prevent us from returning.....we'll just know better next time :o)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,130)

Reviewed 18 June 2014

My husband and I just returned from a 3 night stay at the Foley House. We had the best time!!!! We were able to bring our dog and he was treated so nice, welcomed with a doggy bag! The staff, Christine and Chuck were so friendly and helpful. The cleaning staff and especially the ladies who served our breakfasts were awesome!!! The afternoon sweets and tea and the evening wine and snacks were great. This Inn keeps you well fed!!! We would love to go back sometime. The rooms are beautiful, cozy and clean! We stayed in 102, Clower Hall, a garden room with a private entrance to the patio. The location was perfect, walking distance to all the shops and restaurants. Thanks for a lovely stay....

Room Tip: The pictures are true to form. Look at the photos and description to find what fits your needs. Gard...
Reviewed 12 June 2014

People who work at the Foley House, especially Christine are very nice and helpful however, I don't think the rooms are cleaned on a daily basis. My bath tub had hair in it every day, and it did not look like sheets were changed everyday, several items in the room needed dusting; nick knacks on the mantel, chandelier, window sills etc. Bathrooms definitely need renovation. We stayed in two rooms, and both had the same issues. I don't recommend staying at the room at parlor level as kitchen is next door and it is too noisy in the morning. Breakfast was not as good as advertised on the website; waffles were frozen waffles made to look fresh, biscuits were not freshly made there. Table cloth was very wrinkled, not ironed (bed sheets neither, btw). It is a beautiful building with a very nice lobby and staircase but I recommend owners renovate, give it a fresh coat of paint.

Room Tip: Parlor level room too noisy. Room 301 nice and large but a bit awkward as you enter into the bathroo...
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Great location and excellent service . Christine and Chuck were excellent hosts and the staff was very pleasant and the service great. I would of liked a little more variety in the breakfast choices but the food was good. The rooms were nicely decorated but could use some fine tuning such as paint touch up and floor refinishing none of which would not let me recommend the Foley Inn for a stay in Savannah. The tea and sweets in the afternoon , wine and snacks in the evening as well as the decanter of port wine left on the piano during the day are pleasant added bonuses.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I'm still patting myself on the back for finding this gem in beautiful, historic Savannah, GA. The Foley House Inn is stunning. My room was tastefully decorated, clean and more than comfortable. The staff was very helpful with my bags and made some great restaurant and tour recommendations.

I was really impressed with all of the extra (and free!) treats and refreshments they offered in the afternoon and evening (this girl loves some shortbread).

I don't normally stay in B&Bs when I'm traveling on business, but I'll be reconsidering that given my experience here. And maybe even looking for more Savannah clients to visit here so I can come back again and again and again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I live in Savannah and chose the Foley House Inn because it was on the Savannah St. Patrick's Day parade route and would provide a good place to watch for my husband and I and our two small children. It was worth every penny! I loved the historic aspect of the property- the furniture and amenities look vintage but were very modern and comfortable. And my kids loved the history and hearing about the ghost of Mrs. Foley. Even though it clearly a very busy weekend, the staff was very polite and courteous throughout our stay- even when my children got a little bored and rambunctious during the rainy parade. I was disappointed at first to see that we were given a room on the ground floor because I thought we might hear some street noise, but I was pleasantly surprised. The room was pretty quiet (even during the parade) and gave us great access to the courtyard.

Overall, it was a really great experience and we are probably going to book again for another "staycation."

Room Tip: The Foley House is an historic inn so there are a lot of stairs. If you have trouble getting around...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Very run down Inn in need of a facelift. What you see on the website must be a past image of this Inn - it bears very little resemblance to the current state it is in.

Rooms not very clean, sheets threadbare and fraying, outside courtyards need a sweep and tidy. Very very disappointing given the high room rates. Just because it is a period property is no excuse for the poor decor and cleanliness.

We had to clamber into the "shower" as it was above the "whirlpool" jacuzzi bath. Very uncomfortable and the water pressure was next to none. Noise levels from the room above who also clearly had a jacuzzi bath, as well as an active love life, were horrendous, as was the noise from the streets of tourbuses etc very late at night. None of this information was given to us beforehand. There is no lift and we had no assistance, nor offer of assistance with our luggage when departing although we were helped on arrival.

Our bedroom had nowhere to hang clothes - the armoire had a TV in it! We were advised there was a rail in the bathroom.It was no substitute for a wardrobe and had 3 hangers between 2 of us. We ended up taking the TV out of the dirty and dusty armoire, cleaning it and then putting our clothes in it.

Staff were polite but unfriendly and disinterested except for the breakfast cook and breakfast staff. Home cooked breakfasts were wonderful but the freebies of wine/cake/snacks in the afternoon did not diminish the overpriced cost of such poor quality lodgings.

We were travelling in the Carolinas and stayed in some superb Inns which cost less than this place which seems to be resting on its laurels and an historic reputation.I rarely complain about hotels or Inns as you can see from my reviews but this was a "Rip Off". Never again!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere - there are no good rooms and you will get no sleep
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Louise S
foleyinnowner, Owner at Foley House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay at the Foley House Inn. It sounds as if you were not comfortable in your room. Your room did face the front of the Inn so you can hear some cars and horse carriages during the day. We do face one of the squares so I have always found it to be rather quiet in the evening. The Inn was built 150 years ago as a private home so the arrangement in some of the rooms are not what you would find in a chain hotel. Our AAA 4-Diamond rating requires us to have our HD televisions in an enclosed cabinet so in that room is is inside of an armoire. There is a clothes having area one side of the very large bath. There should have been 10 hangers in your room. I apologize that it was not the case.

In 1865 when the Inn was built there were no elevators. We do have staff on hand at all times to carry bags and you should have been offered assistance. I am sorry that no one helped you to the second floor with your bags. I will talk to the staff about this. As far as the noise from the room upstairs I can say the we do not get many complaints about noise from other rooms based on the how thick the walls and floors are in our historic building but it sounds like the charm of our Inn brought out the best in the coupe upstairs.

I do disagree with several of your assertions. First is that the inn does not look like the photos on our website. This is untrue. The photos are all recent as we just launched a new website about a year ago and they are an excellent representation of the rooms as are the videos. There is a video of every room on the website. The furnishings are very nice and representative of the period that the house was built. We replace things that are worn all the time. In no way is this property "run down" I understand that you did not care for for accommodations but we would have been happy to find another room for you at our inn that you may have liked better. Unlike a chain hotel every room is different and unique. It is one of the many beauties of our property.

Finally I will say that I absolutely disagree with you about our staff. We have 15 employees that love their jobs and I'm not just saying that because I am the boss. Please read our other reviews and you will find one after another talks about how great they are. I see them everyday deal with a huge variety of personalities with charm and good nature. All of them have worked with us for years and several have work din the hospitality industry for decades. They take great pride in what they do and in our beautiful property. I wouldn't trade one of them for the world.

I have a simple policy at the Foley House Inn. If you don't like something we will fix it. We have 19 rooms and there are lots of ways for us to make you happy. However I do realize that we are not the right property for every one as if you don't like what you see we will be happy to find another inn or hotel to your liking. You are correct that we are not the least expensive place to stay by a long shot. Our rates range fro $150 to almost $400 and you are correct that for that kind of money you should be happy. We include and amazing breakfast, sweets and tea and wonderful wine social in the evening that is all include with your room rate. But if you are not happy, please let us know and we will make you happy or we will find a place that will make you happy and we will never charge you for unused nights. I guarantee it.

Grant Rogers,