“Great stay at the Foley House”
Review of Foley House Inn

Foley House Inn
Ranked #8 of 30 Savannah B&B and Inns
Atlanta
“Great stay at the Foley House”
Reviewed 20 January 2009

My wife and I were there over the MLK weekend. The house is in a great location - central to about everything in the historic district. Seems like we kept coming around to the house just as we needed to stop and unload or rest.

The staff was always around and very helpful. The breakfast was fresh and varied for the three meals we ate there.

Our room was large and well appointed (price-wise our room was in the middle). Had a nice large screen TV. We were directly beneath the dining room, so it was a little noisy in the AM on the days we had intended to sleep a little later.

Stayed January 2009
1 Thank DonalH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Boston,MA
Reviewed 19 January 2009

We had a wonderful 3 days at Foley House, and would've loved to stay longer. We'd never been to Savannah before, but knew we wanted to be in the old and charming "historic district," and within walking distance of museums, restaurants, shops, the river, etc. Foley House is all of this and more. Located on one of the most beautiful squares (Chippewa), the inn itself is lovely both inside and out. Each room is individual in style and furnishings, and many have fireplaces, balconies, and/or direct access to garden patios. We visited during Christmas week, and it was the perfect lush get-away for escapees from a New England winter. Staff are friendly and very helpful, but not overly intrusive. I'm not a huge fan of B&Bs generally -- I'm not usually looking for that much chit-chat with strangers -- but this one struck the perfect note of informality without forced interaction. Food was terrific and plentiful: a full breakfast with eggs made to order, tea with goodies in the afternoon, and wine with appetizers in the evening. All in all, I'd give it top marks for both charm and comfort. We'll definitely stay there next time we're in Savannah.

• Liked — style, charm, and location
  • Disliked — nothing -- loved it!
1 Thank Choochala
Orange County, CA
Reviewed 16 January 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Foley House Inn for two nights after Christmas. I had read recommendations of this Inn, both on Trip Advisor and on Southern Living.com. Although this hotel had a terrific location, historic charm, and a helpful staff, overall, it did not live up to its reviews as a luxury inn.
One thing prospective travelers should note is that there is no parking provided. Although you can buy a parking pass from the front desk, if available, even in the best case scenario you are still on your own to find parking on the street. If you find a good spot, you won't want to move your car for fear of losing the spot. This is a little bit limiting.
Secondly, although the historic buildings are charming, this inn really is need of an overhall. In a town strewn with impeccably upgraded historic homes, it does not shine. The entire building seems to tilt to one side. It was easy to imagine the creaky old stairwell giving way. Both inside and outside you can see pockets of peeling paint and decaying wood. Our room, Stafford, was large and had many lovely pieces of furniture. However, the carpet seemed old and dirty, and the fireplace hissed and spluttered in a way that made me a bit nervous. The bathroom was remodeled in a modern decor that didn't really connect with the rest of the room. Surprise of all surprises, the tiny balcony was accessed through rickedy french doors in the bathroom, which made using it awkward at times.
The front desk staff was friendly and made every attempt to be helpful, but they seemed a bit harried and understaffed for this busy holiday period. Breakfast food and service were just so-so.
The Foley House Inn has charm, location, and friendliness to recommend it. For the price, however, I think you could do better. On this same trip we stayed at the Wentworth Mansion in Charleson. The price of $299 was the same for both, but the experience at the Foley was not even close to matching the relaxed luxury and service at the Wentworth. Foley has some work to do if it would like to remain competitive in this market.

• Liked — Great location, friendly staff, historic charm
  • Disliked — Room and facility are looking sadly tired, staffing not really adequate to give top notch service
2 Thank travelmom92
foleyinnowner, Owner at Foley House Inn, responded to this review, 19 January 2009
While I appreciate the opinions and criticism of travelmom92, I must respond to a few points this guest has made. Parking is not a problem. We always have a 48-hour pass available for 8 dollars and I park at the Inn everyday and I have rarely had to walk more then half a block. You can also use that pass to park at any meter in the historic district for free. It's a great deal for 8 bucks.

I can assure that neither of our buildings "tilts" in any direction. When I purchased this property 2 1/2 years ago I had a structural engineering survey done and the buildings are in tiptop shape. Yes, the stairs creek a bit as they do in any historic property but they are quite safe and in no way in danger of type of collapse as travelmom92 insinuated.

I do agree with travelmom92 when she says, "the hotel had a terrific location, historic charm, and a helpful staff". This guest stayed in one of our finest rooms (204 Stafford) with a newly renovated bath and a balcony that overlooks the square our Inn sits on. Our Inn is a labor of love. It's not a "Hilton" and was not built in 1860 to be a hotel. This is what makes up half of its beauty and charm. The other half comes from Chiquita, Gina, Jason, Miss Mamie, Miss Data and all of the rest of the amazing staff I am privileged to know and work with every day. They all love the Inn and it's guests as much as my wife and I do. I am sorry that travelmom92 did not enjoy her stay. We make it our business to ensure that every guest walks away pleased. In this case we fell short. We are always working to improve our Inn and I have noted her suggestions as I do everyone's. It keeps me on my toes.

Grant Rogers
Owner
Foley House Inn
PS. She is dead wrong about one thing. Our breakfast is AMAZING! That's why I am fat!
Charleston, WV
Reviewed 31 December 2008

We spent five nights at the Foley House Inn, a beautiful and comfortable facility with an efficient and attentive staff. The breakfast was bountiful and delicious, as were the sweets in the afternoon and the evening snacks served with wine. Our room was lovely and nicely furnished, including a flat screen tv.

The staff of the Inn is a big plus. Gina and Shannon made numerous reservations and other arrangements for us while providing insider information about the city. Mamie and Delia were especially helpful, tweaking our food preferences with good humor.

Foley House is perfect -- right in the middle of the historic district. We appreciated being within walking distance of everything we wanted to do but still a good distance away from the busy river area.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 13 December 2008

My wife and I enjoyed a long weekend getaway in Savannah at the Foley House Inn. This was our 2nd stay there; the 1st was in 2003. This stay was even better. We enjoyed our spacious room (301 "Easton Lodge") which had a bay window overlooking the square. Jason, the host, was very warm and accomodating. We enjoyed wine and hors d'ouvres with the other guests in the living room nightly at 6pm. Overall, a very pleasant stay.

• Liked — Beautiful historic building; warm and accomodating staff; great location
  • Disliked — Bathroom fixtures and features was a bit dated
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
Philadelphia
Reviewed 8 December 2008

I stayed at the Foley House last month, and I'm so glad I did. The staff was gracious and welcoming, and the Inn was beautiful. My room was spacious, clean and tastefully furnished. I especially enjoyed the breakfast and homemade treats in the afternoon. The location is great too, being within walking distance to everything I wanted to see. I'm already planning to come back...the Foley House is my "home away from home" in Savannah!

• Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 25 November 2008

Before I begin, let me say that I am normally the type of traveler that will stay in a brand-new Marriott or Hilton Hotel when traveling and have never stayed in a bed and breakfast before. But for my first trip to Savannah, I wanted to have a more authentic experience. I recently stayed at the Foley House Inn (November 2008) for a romantic getaway weekend with my boyfriend. It was my first time visiting the city and our first time staying at a bed & breakfast. And I must say that I ABSOLUTELY LOVED everything about the Foley House Inn.

The staff was extremely friendly and went above & beyond to make us feel at home. Whenever we needed something, be it directions or snacks, the staff always responded quickly and courteously to our requests. We had the pleasure of staying in the Wren House on the top floor. Our room was so gorgeous, beyond spacious, and very clean. The bathroom had an amazingly large jacuzzi tub and lovely view of the square across the street. The bedroom has lovely antique furniture, a nice fireplace, and a beautiful four-poster bed. I felt so comfortable and at home during our stay that we didn't want to leave at the end of the weekend.

We also enjoyed the fact that a fresh southern breakfast was served each morning, followed by appetizers and wine in the evenings for all guests. This aspect of the B&B experience I liked because you do NOT get that type of service included in your stay at a regular chain hotel.

The location was very convenient for us as well, especially since we were new to the area. We were able to walk to Drayton and River Streets, which both had some great little shops, bars, and excellent restaurants. The neighborhood was quiet and I felt safe walking to & from the hotel at night.

I would definitely recommend the Foley House Inn to anyone who wants a quiet and relaxing stay while in Savannah. I plan on staying there the next time I visit the city! It made my trip that much more memorable!!

• Liked — The rooms and the staff
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)