Foley House Inn
US$191
US$188
US$182
  • Breakfast included
Best Western Central Inn(Savannah)(Great Value!)
US$86
  • Bar/Lounge
US$216
Doubletree.com
1,162 results
All reviewschippewa squareafternoon sweetsb bessex roomhistoric districtforrest gumpbox of chocolatesport winehors d'oeuvres and winegas fireplaceother guestsbed and breakfastgarden roomjacuzzi tubcentral locationbreakfast was amazingtrip to savannah
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 February 2009

Foley House Inn has an unbeatable location--central to everything. The exterior may not stand out in comparison to some of the flashier inns in the historic district but the interior is kept clean and quite nice. Having coffee and snacks available and offering an "evening hospitality" wine and hors d'oeuvres hour is another plus.

Our room was clean and well-furnished and we found the bed very comfortable. We liked the use of Aveda bath products very much although we both experienced a hot water shortage in the shower-- but then, it is an old building and many guests were probably using the water at the same time.

The television in our room was old and the picture was discolored in large blotches. Although ideally one does not stay in a B&B for the TV, it is a problem that probably should be addressed.

We found the staff knowledgeable and helpful for the most part, although a few staffers were somewhat brusque. The biggest surprise was the breakfast--we were thoroughly unimpressed both by the lack of variety and the food itself. The eggs were watery and undercooked, and the grits were so overbuttered that they proved impossible to eat. We decided to eat our breakfast out after that.

• Stayed: January 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Petrie1
Reviewed 25 January 2009

We arrived at the Foley House Inn on Christmas Eve and immediately felt welcome and comfortable. Regina, Shannon, and Chiquita went "above and beyond" to ensure our stay was romantic and fun. They helped us with dinner choices and reservations, a carriage tour, and directions to places we queried. Breakfasts were delectable, and the staff were entertaining and gregarious. We really can't give your outstanding establishment and staff the kudos they deserve. We are seriously considering another adventure in your lovely city and will definitely stay at the Foley House Inn again. Thank you so much for a delightful sojourn in Savannah!!

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank COChief
Reviewed 20 January 2009

My wife and I were there over the MLK weekend. The house is in a great location - central to about everything in the historic district. Seems like we kept coming around to the house just as we needed to stop and unload or rest.

The staff was always around and very helpful. The breakfast was fresh and varied for the three meals we ate there.

Our room was large and well appointed (price-wise our room was in the middle). Had a nice large screen TV. We were directly beneath the dining room, so it was a little noisy in the AM on the days we had intended to sleep a little later.

Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank Don H
Reviewed 19 January 2009

We had a wonderful 3 days at Foley House, and would've loved to stay longer. We'd never been to Savannah before, but knew we wanted to be in the old and charming "historic district," and within walking distance of museums, restaurants, shops, the river, etc. Foley House is all of this and more. Located on one of the most beautiful squares (Chippewa), the inn itself is lovely both inside and out. Each room is individual in style and furnishings, and many have fireplaces, balconies, and/or direct access to garden patios. We visited during Christmas week, and it was the perfect lush get-away for escapees from a New England winter. Staff are friendly and very helpful, but not overly intrusive. I'm not a huge fan of B&Bs generally -- I'm not usually looking for that much chit-chat with strangers -- but this one struck the perfect note of informality without forced interaction. Food was terrific and plentiful: a full breakfast with eggs made to order, tea with goodies in the afternoon, and wine with appetizers in the evening. All in all, I'd give it top marks for both charm and comfort. We'll definitely stay there next time we're in Savannah.

1  Thank Choochala
Reviewed 16 January 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Foley House Inn for two nights after Christmas. I had read recommendations of this Inn, both on Trip Advisor and on Southern Living.com. Although this hotel had a terrific location, historic charm, and a helpful staff, overall, it did not live up to its reviews as a luxury inn.
One thing prospective travelers should note is that there is no parking provided. Although you can buy a parking pass from the front desk, if available, even in the best case scenario you are still on your own to find parking on the street. If you find a good spot, you won't want to move your car for fear of losing the spot. This is a little bit limiting.
Secondly, although the historic buildings are charming, this inn really is need of an overhall. In a town strewn with impeccably upgraded historic homes, it does not shine. The entire building seems to tilt to one side. It was easy to imagine the creaky old stairwell giving way. Both inside and outside you can see pockets of peeling paint and decaying wood. Our room, Stafford, was large and had many lovely pieces of furniture. However, the carpet seemed old and dirty, and the fireplace hissed and spluttered in a way that made me a bit nervous. The bathroom was remodeled in a modern decor that didn't really connect with the rest of the room. Surprise of all surprises, the tiny balcony was accessed through rickedy french doors in the bathroom, which made using it awkward at times.
The front desk staff was friendly and made every attempt to be helpful, but they seemed a bit harried and understaffed for this busy holiday period. Breakfast food and service were just so-so.
The Foley House Inn has charm, location, and friendliness to recommend it. For the price, however, I think you could do better. On this same trip we stayed at the Wentworth Mansion in Charleson. The price of $299 was the same for both, but the experience at the Foley was not even close to matching the relaxed luxury and service at the Wentworth. Foley has some work to do if it would like to remain competitive in this market.

2  Thank travelmom92
foleyinnowner, Owner at Foley House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2009

While I appreciate the opinions and criticism of travelmom92, I must respond to a few points this guest has made. Parking is not a problem. We always have a 48-hour pass available for 8 dollars and I park at the Inn everyday and I have rarely had to walk more then half a block. You can also use that pass to park at any meter in the historic district for free. It's a great deal for 8 bucks.

I can assure that neither of our buildings "tilts" in any direction. When I purchased this property 2 1/2 years ago I had a structural engineering survey done and the buildings are in tiptop shape. Yes, the stairs creek a bit as they do in any historic property but they are quite safe and in no way in danger of type of collapse as travelmom92 insinuated.

I do agree with travelmom92 when she says, "the hotel had a terrific location, historic charm, and a helpful staff". This guest stayed in one of our finest rooms (204 Stafford) with a newly renovated bath and a balcony that overlooks the square our Inn sits on. Our Inn is a labor of love. It's not a "Hilton" and was not built in 1860 to be a hotel. This is what makes up half of its beauty and charm. The other half comes from Chiquita, Gina, Jason, Miss Mamie, Miss Data and all of the rest of the amazing staff I am privileged to know and work with every day. They all love the Inn and it's guests as much as my wife and I do. I am sorry that travelmom92 did not enjoy her stay. We make it our business to ensure that every guest walks away pleased. In this case we fell short. We are always working to improve our Inn and I have noted her suggestions as I do everyone's. It keeps me on my toes.

Grant Rogers
Owner
Foley House Inn
PS. She is dead wrong about one thing. Our breakfast is AMAZING! That's why I am fat!