“very disappointing”

Ranked #8 of 30 Savannah B&B and Inns
Charleston, SC
“very disappointing”
Reviewed 4 September 2005

My husband and I just returned from our stay at The Foley House for our anniversary. Upon arrival we were greeted by their concerierge on a cordless phone who swooped us into the parlor where we sat for 10 min. before we were greeted by Don the Innkeeper. He gave us a map and highlighted on it where we were and where we should walk. he then gave us a book and a paper with resteraunts and a few brochures.(things I had already looked into and acquired prior to my stay, I would have preferred to hear the favorites of his, and why) Then the girl on the telephone, returned & took us to our room. We stayed in the Stafford Suite, which was supposed to be the nicest. The room itself was fine, although the art didn't seem to go with the style or era of the hotel. The craftmanship of the jucuzzi surround in the bathroom was terrible, globs of caulk, things very out of line and not just due to age.The toilet paper was rough, and weeds were growing from the flower box on the balcony;no flowers. As far as the desserts and appetizers they write of and display on their web site--it's not what we were provided with. Night one simple brownies and a pastry filled w/ raspberry, the brie and crackers.(we had to track somene down to ask what the foods were and you served yourself) Night 2 Tuna and cucumbers, and tomatoes..the dessert was yummy to me, but there was only the one, so if you didn't like chocolate you were out of luck. We never got the sweet on our pillow, or to hear stories from the Innkeepers. There was only one staff person there at night. Breakfast was fine, you got 2 choices, cold cereal, or a hot meal of the chefs choice, I guess I expected more choices. For $350 a night I expected to be pampered...or at very least wished "Happy Anniversary!" I always give praise where it is deserved, but will also give a critique when need, and this owner would not admit to the service being of less than is portrayed on his website or literature. What has happened to customer service?

• Stayed August 2005
8 Thank tumbletime
, Innkeeper/Owner at Foley House Inn, responded to this review, 13 September 2005
My husband, Don, responded to this guest's email complaint immediately following her stay and exteneded our regrets at her disappointment. We are sorry that her stay at Foley House was so disappointing, unlike the experiences the countless hundreds of our guests have experienced over the years. However, this guest was given a proper welcome and initial concierge service. My husband personally spent more than 30 minutes reviewing restaurants and available tour options and making recommendations to this guest. There were a minimum of two Foley personnel on the property at all times to assist with questions regarding dining, entertainment, etc, but the staff informed us that this guest decided to order in-room pizza. What a shame that she did not experience some of our great restaurants and night life.
The owners of the Foley House cannot be on property each and every day and we count on our staff of 12 people to respond to guest services when we are not present. We know that the weather was a bit unpleasant during the time this guest was with us what with the rain and all, but we were hopeful that guests would rise above it and take advantage of the dozens of historical attractions that Savannah has to offer, all within walking distance of the Foley house.
Lastly, we made every attempt to keep our personal tragedy from our guests, so it was decided that my husband would be there to greet and assist guests as they checked in and that I would remain at home. I later learned that our chef shared the details of our tragedy with this guest that my entire family had been either displaced or was unaccounted for as a result of the New Orleans disaster and that, in fact, my only brother was lost in the flood waters and presumed dead. This guest was also informed that I was not on the property because I was at home caring for and consoling my 77 years old mother who had just lost her home, her family and possibly her only son.
In any event, I suppose that the quality of guest services is somewhat of a subjective experience, and we regret that this guest's stay was such a disappointment.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Reviewed 3 September 2005

We just completed our stay at the FoleyHouse in Savannah for our 25th anniversary. Our stay there was wonderful. The staff and service was excellent. We had never been to Savannah and had many questions as to what to do. Their staff took care of everything for us. Their breakfast every morning was delicious. The atmosphere was very relaxing. We met many nice couples during our stay. I would recommend the Foley House to anyone. It was truley a Southern Hospitality stay.

• Stayed August 2005
Reviewed 5 July 2005

As world wide travelers my husband and I stayed closer to home on this trip and were so glad of it. The Foley house Inn exceeds our expectations. Although the Inn Owner was away at he time, their son Ryan did them very proud. He was absolutely delightful. From the moment we stepped in to reception we knew we had made a great choice. Julia the concierge greeted us with total effeciancy including a typed itinerary which proved so valuable.all of her dinner selections were perfect as well. the chef who prepared not only the delicious breakfasts as well as the hors ouvres at coctail time was not only a great cook but a lovely person. her grits were absolutely delicious. the location cannot be improved upon and for those who saw the movie forest Gump Chippawa square was the place to be. Would we go again, in aheart beat Jand J. Arlington Va

• Stayed May 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 July 2005

Our visit to the Foley House Inn was absolutely wonderful! The accommodations were spectacular, as was the personal service from the friendly but unobtrusive staff. It made our trip to Savannah memorable!

Stayed June 2005
Wakefield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 June 2005

No visit to Savannah would be complete without a stay at Foley House. This special inn is a classic Italianate gem, overlooking Spanish moss-draped Chippewa Square, made famous as the place Forrrest Gump waited for the bus with that box of chocolates. It's nestled beneath the church spire around which that feather floated on its way to film history. Foley House has many hidden charms behind that solid oak door. For one, it's actually two dwellings, side by side melded into one exquisite lodging place. A favorite view is from the base of the two sets of stairs separated only by a thin wall. Standing at the cusp provides a virtual stereoscopic look up the dual staircases and the ornate woodwork. Each room is appointed with the most opulent British Colonial furnishings from the turn of the 20th century. One example is the Empire Room, the grand suite replete with an ebony baby grand player piano, gaslight fireplace, spa and luxurious linens covering canopied beds. The parlors, hallways and breakfast rooms are homey and comfortable with much to explore and gaze upon. A cherished element is an ornate lamp gracing the base of the grand staircase. It's an heirloom prop from the film "Gone With The Wind" and is prominently seen as Rhett utters the "don't give a ---" line before disappearing out the door. The outdoor terraced lounging area, statuary, land- and container-scaping and babbling water fountains make this a truly enchanting place just inside the walls from the vibrant Savannah streets. As for service, Foley House treats each guest like royalty. We urge discerning travelers to experience Foley House as their home away from home...in Savannah. To stay there is an unforgettable experience. Gail Lowe and Calvin Anderson, Travel Writers from Massachusetts

• Stayed October 2004, travelled on business
1 Thank Gail0105
Reviewed 13 June 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Foley House Inn for our honeymoon. It was a wonderful experience! The Foley House is a teriffic 'romantic getaway' spot. The rooms were beautiful and the service here was amazing. Everyone really went out of their way to ensure that my husband and I had the best possible experience. My husband and I will certainly return when the chance arrives, and I would encourage anyone who is considering staying in Savannah to stay at the Foley House Inn.

• Stayed June 2005
Atlanta
Reviewed 12 June 2005

The Foley House is in the best location - it is easy to walk to the restaurants and other sites including the Riverfront. It has so much character. The staff was wonderful. Patrick is especially helpful - called a taxi for us and all the other people who were going out to dinner - we had planned on walking, but it was pouring down rain. I wasn't crazy about the breakfast - but I'm an extremely picky eater. The bed was wonderful! Wish I had it here at home. The Inn Keeper was so nice, friendly, helpful and easy to talk to. Desserts and wine and snacks were all wonderful - very tasty. It is a little pricey, but I would go back.

• Stayed June 2005