Foley House Inn
SpringHill Suites
US$220
US$214
1,162 results
All reviewschippewa squareafternoon sweetsb bessex roomhistoric districtforrest gumpbox of chocolatesport winehors d'oeuvres and winegas fireplaceother guestsbed and breakfastgarden roomjacuzzi tubcentral locationbreakfast was amazingtrip to savannah
FilterAll languages
Lauderhill, FL
Reviewed 12 June 2006

We (my girlfriends and I) had a wonderful stay at the Foley House Inn in Savanna, Ga. The B & B is a magnificent inn and the service was outstanding. Overall, I would say this girl's trip was one of the best because of our accomodations. The Foley House Inn was one of the best B & B's I have ever stayed in. I would definately recommend the Foley House to my family and friends. Thank you for a beautiful weekend :-)

• Stayed: June 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 June 2006

My wife and I recently honeymooned at the Foley House Inn. We stayed in the Wrest House for four nights. In retrospect, the best part of our trip to Savannah was our experience in the Foley House. Our room was beautiful, painted in a bold but romantic orange and well appointed with quality bedding and attractive furnishings. We loved our finely carved four-poster and our oversized Jacuzzi. Every bit of the inn itself was handsome and romantic from the dark tones of the lobby (which had the feel of an opulent hunting lodge, replete with a baby grand piano)to the serene courtyard and even in the elegant stairwells. We would have been plenty satisfied with the accommodations alone, but to top it off, the food was heavenly! Each morning we were treated to breakfast in the courtyard, which was perfectly portioned so as to satisfy but not overwhelm guests. The presentation was lovely. In the afternoons we were treated to tea and sweets. Perhaps the most aggravating aspect of our stay at the inn was that they did not serve sweet tea. But the cookies and cakes more than made up for this deficiency. They were some of the best I’d ever tasted, and they differed each day. Being a young couple (22 and 21), we felt that we would not have as much in common with the older guests, therefore we did not take advantage of the wine and hors d’oeuvres social hour. I’m sure it was delightful, however. The staff at the inn were friendly and helpful enough, although nothing like some of the descriptions I’d read from other guests on TripAdvisor. The exceptions to this were the housekeepers. As they served us breakfast and greeted us throughout the day, they truly made us feel welcome and at home.
As for the city itself, my wife and I felt that it was a wonderful honeymoon locale. The downtown historic district in which the Foley House lies is a lazy little area with not much to do but stroll through squares and streets. History abounds, as Savannah was such a pivotal city in the burgeoning nascent America. The homes and gardens are opulent, and the downtown is remarkably preserved to an extent that can’t be found elsewhere in America. Stay away from the riverfront, as it has become infested with chain restaurants and shops, unless you desire scenic views of the river and bridge, which are lovely at sunset. Being from south Louisiana, my wife and I are accustomed to delicious food, especially seafood, but the food in Savannah is decidedly spectacular. For dinner we ate at The Lady and Sons (can’t go wrong with Paula Deen, although this was my least favorite meal in Savannah), Bistro Savannah (included in our package at the inn. They are trying too hard to be chic, and the result is awkwardness for everyone but upwardly mobile late 20 and early 30-year-olds. However, the flash fried flounder with apricot glaze was the best fish I’ve ever tasted.), Uncle Bubba’s (owned by Paula Deen’s brother…it’s on the way to Tybee Island and affords beautiful marsh views. The seafood pot pie was spectacular), and the Sapphire Grill (supposedly one of Savannah’s most talked about chefs is here. I went for steak this night, which was delicious, and my wife’s sea scallops were wonderful, as were the side items). For lunch we dined at the Six Pence Pub (a quick stroll from the inn…delicious English pub fare), the Sweet Leaf Smokery and Eatery (we came across this out of the way café by accident…it’s to the east of Forsyth Park, across the street from a low-income high-rise apartment complex. At first reluctant to go in, since we were famished we decided to try it and were extremely surprised to find that it was a fun, hip place decorated with artwork from the Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) and serving delicious sandwiches), and on the last lunch we had a picnic in Forsyth Park, the food for which was prepared by the chef at the inn. It was a very nice lunch.
Altogether, Savannah was perfect for a honeymoon. If you enjoy history, it’s perfect for you. The nightlife was definitely a let-down, although we perhaps did not go to the best establishments. My chief complaint about the city, however, is that it feels to sterile and lifeless. This is, I presume, a result of most of the locals moving out of their homes and the abundance of homes converted into inns, apartments, and museums. The result is what seems like an enormous museum: beautiful, well preserved, informative, historical, but lifeless. For a city with a similar historical/sultry reputation, I would recommend New Orleans. Sadly, it is renowned mainly for Mardi Gras and Bourbon Street, but there is much more life and exciting/intriguing history found here. And I must add that all the areas where tourist would venture in New Orleans are up and running, with a couple exceptions such as the zoo. Please don’t think that it is entirely in shambles, and know that it is actually safer now than it has ever been. However, New Orleans doesn’t have anything like the Foley House. :)

• Stayed: May 2006
1  Thank nolamed
Reviewed 6 June 2006

My husband, myself and another couple had the pleasure of spending a night in late May at the Foley House. We had a wonderful stay - the rooms were clean and well appointed, and the staff was extremely gracious. From the moment we walked in the door, we knew that we had made the right decision in staying there. The house is beautifully decorated and has an authentic southern charm that you aren't going to find at the Hyatt or any other chain hotel in town. Also, the location on Chippewa Square can not be beat. We will be back for sure!

• Stayed: May 2006
Juno Beach, Florida
Reviewed 1 June 2006

We found this to be an excellent bed and breakfast inn, in a very convenient location to the historic sites. The owner came in himself on Saturday night to be sure the guests were okay when we lost power for several hours due to a thunderstorm. We appreciated that. The weekend manager gave us good restaurant recommendations, which was also a plus. We would definitely recommend this inn to others, and we would certainly stay here again.

Stayed: May 2006
New York, NY
Reviewed 30 May 2006

Delightful Inn situated in ideall location that was convenient to 'Historic Savannah'. The staff were attentive, helpful and made one feel 'at home'.

The accomodations were comfortable.

The Breakfasts were unique and delicious. Afternoon Tea and pastries were refreshing while evening wine and cheese enhanced preparation for dinner.

A return visit is a must.

Stayed: May 2006