“Much nicer than I feared it would be” 3 of 5 bubbles

Best Western Savannah Historic District
Ranked #50 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersSilver level
Tacoma, Washington
“Much nicer than I feared it would be”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2011

Driving up to this hotel, I had a sinking feeling. The curb appeal is non-existent and the best thing about the outside on first glance was the free parking. The doors open directly to the outside which is not something I'm generally fond of in a motel. However, I was pleasantly surprised by a couple of things. One, the room decor was very nice, and really was surprisingly beautiful considering the hotel's modest exterior. Beds were very firm (I personally like them softer) and pillows nice. Sheets a little scratchy but not awful. Bathroom was spacious and very clean. The room was a touch noisy, but there was a white noise maker to cancel road noise.

The cleaning staff seemed great. Front desk staff was touch and go. The first night there, we had a wonderful guy at the front desk. I can't remember his name but he's a Coast Guard veteran. He went out of his way to make sure our stay was excellent. The concierge was a remarkably knowledgeable, lovely, and hilarious, woman. Some of the other front desk staff were not particularly great, but certainly adequate.

I didn't get in the pool but it looked pretty nice. Lastly, the buffet breakfast staff was really sweet, but the food was nothing special. Thank goodness they had hardboiled eggs because that was like the only protein offering they had. All in all, a decent place for a cheap rate in a wonderful location. And they allow dogs (not cats though, which is very lame). On the whole, it was a pretty good experience.

Room Tip: Get a room facing away from the busy street.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GM11205, General Manager at Best Western Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, 6 June 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments! We are so happy you enjoyed your trip to Savannah! We hope to see you again in the near future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2011

Traveling from upstate N.Y. back home to Florida; my daughter had asked for a side trip to Savnnah, ( she wanted lunch at Lady and Sons). We arrived in Savannah at 5 am and began our search for a moderately priced hotel/motel. We spotted the Best Western and decided to check it out. The desk clerk was more than chipper, southern hospitality at it's finest. When we got to our room we were surpised to find a spacious, very clean room for the low price we paid in the historic district. The Best western sits on one corner of the historic district, an excellent location, making easy to walk everywhere. The concierge provided very useful information and was very pleasant. Although our check out time was 12 noon, we were able to leave our car parked in their lot until 5pm. The day desk clerk even baby sat my daughetrs pet beta fish for the day while we shopped and ate. All in all a great experience and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GM11205, General Manager at Best Western Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, 31 May 2011
A good value is the key to enjoying your vacation! I am thrilled you chose the BEST WESTERN PLUS Savannah Historic District and were able to take advantage of all we have to offer such as the complimentary breakfast, great location, and awesome service! We hope to see you and Mr. Bubbles again on your next trip!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2011

We stayed one night. The room was well cleaned, which I'm learning to not take for granted. Staff was very nice. Maybe not the absolute greatest place you'll ever stay, but I have no complaints. I'd book a room here agian next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your valuable feedback with others! Thank you and enjoy your day! We hope you visit us again in the near future!
Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2011

There are a lot of better places to stay in my opinion. First of all, the male assistant manager is a jerk. I stayed for 2 nights and my room was never even cleaned and I didn't have a "do not disturb" sign up. Some of my friends stayed at the Hyatt, which is a lot nicer and in a better location, for a cheaper rate. I personally didn't have a good experience at all.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Relaxrewind
GM11205, General Manager at Best Western Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, 24 May 2011
Thank you for contacting Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay. Please accept my apologies for any inconveniences you encountered. It is our goal to provide the highest level of customer service. We rely on our guests to let us know when we have fallen short. Comments such as yours permit us to target areas of concern and take the necessary steps to remedy the situation. If the author of this review would please contact the hotel so that we may rectify the situation it would be greatly appreciated. Again, please accept my sincere apologies. We look forward to bringing you resolution and satisfaction concerning this matter.
Jeff Fouste
Carlisle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2011

After looking on Trip Advisor we pre-booked another hotel in Savannah Historic District, Country Inn & Suites by Carlson. Before we checked in we decided to check out the BW Plus. It is Motel style and its immediate surrounds aren't wonderful but it is reasonably priced for the Historic District and very convenient for walking round the Historic area, down by the river and for using the free Dot bus location. We decided to go with BW and cancelled our other booking. It obviously has a reputation for being noisy. We were on the ground floor at the back of the Hotel and the only problem we had was what seemed to be a group of young people chatting loudly outside our room at about 12:30 am. The rooms have something called a Sleep Mate which I haven't come across before. You switch it on and it makes a steady humming noise which seems to mask out all other noises - it worked for me!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GM11205, General Manager at Best Western Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, 16 May 2011
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2011

My wife and I were in Savannah for a business trip, April 18-20th. We stayed at the Best Western Plus, formally the Best Western Promenade. Before departing for our trip I researched this hotel through Trip Advisor. There I read some positive, but many negative comments about the hotel. I am not one to follow the crowd, and make a rash decision. It just so happens that the hotel's location and amenities were perfect for our needs. Everyone from Cody at the front desk, who greeted us by our name each time we walked by, to housekeeping and maintenance personnel making us feel welcome. The rooms were very clean and the daily continental breakfast was more than adequate. Noise, what noise. Savannah is a bustling seaport city with ships that blow their horns, and trucks that deliver their goods. Tourism is a major industry in Savannah, and with it come horse and carriage clopping down the back street towards River Street, and the bell clanging trolleys with their riders. These are old city sounds. During our stay we took walking tours in the city, dined at nice restaurants. Other than a quick drive to Tybee Island for business, we didn’t have to rely on our car due to the convenient location of this hotel. Next time we return to Savannah we’ll stay at the Best Western Plus. My wife and I give this hotel a 5 star rating. Do we recommend it? You bet we do, they deserve it.

Thank you Guys for a great stay.

Hank and Hollie Arnold

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GM11205, General Manager at Best Western Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, 25 April 2011
We are delighted you made the decision to stay at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Savannah Historic District! Thank you for the wonderful compliments and we look forward to your return!
Wolfville, Nova Scotia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2011

A Good location in the Historic district , but this is spoiled by the constant traffic noise. When a hotel issues a letter addressing noise issues and places noise suppression machines in your room then you know you are in for a whole lot of noise. The open outdoor corridor concept certainly doesn't help with the noise issue.
Other issues we found during our stay were: mold on the bathroom ceiling, stains on the carpet, and a poor quality of lighting in the room. The only thing that could help this hotel is if they were to do a complete upgrade renovation job, other hotel chains have done this, so why not this one?
This hotel is very average, nothing special and on top of everything else they hit you up for a $10/day parking fee.
I usually stay at the Hampton Inns, but this time I couldn't get a room in the Historic district so I decided to give Best Western a try, next time, I will do my research ahead ot time and stay in a proper hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GM11205, General Manager at Best Western Savannah Historic District, responded to this review, 14 April 2011
Thank you for contacting Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you encountered. It is our goal to provide the highest level of customer service. We rely on our guests to let us know when we have fallen short. Comments such as yours permit us to target areas of concern and take the necessary steps to remedy the situation. If the author of this review would please contact the hotel so that we can do the best we can to help rectify the situation would be greatly appreciated. Again, please accept our sincere apologies. We look forward to bringing you resolution and satisfaction concerning this matter.
Jeff Fouste